The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Worked out well for Falkirk.

Falkirk loaded a team up with Ray’s friends and an assortment of presumed Championship level players that would stroll League One.

We’ve added a few unproven players to a team base that lead League One last year.

Not seeing a similarity.

Edited by TxRover

16 minutes ago, Enigma said:

They had a squad chock full of assorted odds and sods from down south, we’ve got 3 players, added to supplement a highly successful and able pre existing spine... but you knew that already.

I suppose the main thing is that these guys have been playing football in the lower reaches of English football. They may well be shite but should have some form of competence in the basics of the game. Something sorely lacking in various football academy drop outs that Falkirk signed up and that we have our own experience with the likes of Osei and Thornsen.

I am slightly dreading it, if they all turn out to be shite, even as I understand the rationale for it. The transfer pool looks a bit stagnant. If you lool at the slew of league 1 forwards who you you'd look to make the step up, you have McManus who got snapped up by Dunfermline (but who's record for goal scoring in the 2nd tier is not exactly awe inspiring - I think he'll be a useful player though for them) Carrick and Gallacher who, if I'm right Airdrie had already signed up for another year, Lyons who Thistle already had on pre-contract and our guys, one of whom went back to his parent club on the premier, one was sold down south to the championship and two who retired.

Even a guy like Graham who would have been a good signing was already tied up to Thistle. 

So in that respect, outside of the usual slew of premiee loanees there maybe wasn't a huge pool of guys to look at, and the uncertainty of the pandemic will have had a lot of guys running for security rather than putting themselves out there, reducing the pool further.

Ugwu and Duku offer considerable strength and physicality, they are meant to have some technical ability beyond that but with the best will in the world both are stepping up from their previous standard.

It's a gamble. McGlynn has been around long enough to know what standard he needs, but coaches can still make mistakes.

29 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Same solid looking stocky build.

Being honest, it looks like you've just racially stereotyped him. If he was 6'1 and white would you compare him to Tade? 

Did you ever compare Nisbet to Tade? 

48 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Falkirk loaded a team up with Ray’s friends and an assortment of presumed Championship level players that would stroll League One.

We’ve added a few unproven players to a team base that lead League One last year.

Not seeing a similarity.

I think he was initially talking about Falkirk under Paul Hartley when they ditched their youth academy and followed what they called the 'Brentford model' by signing young guys who had been released by bigger clubs down south. 

McKinnon succeeded Hartley but couldn't do anything to halt the decline. 

Just now, Specky Ginger said:

I think he was initially talking about Falkirk under Paul Hartley when they ditched their youth academy and followed what they called the 'Brentford model' by signing young guys who had been released by bigger clubs down south. 

McKinnon succeeded Hartley but couldn't do anything to halt the decline. 

Going against the grain, you have to hand it to Ray, he really has followed the money.

Lured to Dundee United, took coin from Morton, jumped ship to Falkirk and is now with cash rich Queens Park.

If the c**t jumped out of a window he'd fall up the way.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Going against the grain, you have to hand it to Ray, he really has followed the money.

Lured to Dundee United, took coin from Morton, jumped ship to Falkirk and is now with cash rich Queens Park.

If the c**t jumped out of a window he'd fall up the way.

TBF thats literally a tier drop every time.

If he jumped out a window he'd break his legs landing in a pot of gold...

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Being honest, it looks like you've just racially stereotyped him. If he was 6'1 and white would you compare him to Tade? 

Tiresome.

If it turns out we can’t get a copy of the Sunday post under him when he goes up for a header then I will be willing to concede he reminds me of Derek Homes, but Homes was shite and couldn’t fight his way out a paper bag.  From watching his video clips Gozie looks like he will be capable of bullying players in a way that Holmes never did but Tade did and was a handful to every defender especially the thugs and goalkeepers of the Pars who regularly resorted to Trying to kick him off the park. 
if it helps your super race radar out, I also think our other 3 black signings look nothing like:

Tony Rougier, Big Marv, Agathe, Armand One or even Christian Nade or for that matter Dougie Hill, Shaun Dennis, Davie Sinclair, Gordon Dalziel..........or indeed Gregory Tade.
Hopefully when we see them in the navy blue Gozie will be like Tade, Duku will be like Brian Graham, Musonda will be the next  Shaun Dennis and Mendy will Blossom into either big Marve or Mark Campbell.

As for Nisbet despite them both being 6’1” other than that  there’s very little that’s similar about them, poor attempt!

now go fish elsewhere.

Edited by Scottydog

Having seen them all, Nisbet is far,far closer to Tade than what Gozie is. 

The only similarity between Tade and Gozie is that they're roughly the same height, and they're black. 

Tade was a bundle of energy who wouldn't give defenders peace, run the channels all game and be a right nuisance all round, using his physical attributes at all times. He was though, especially when he was at Clyde and when he started at Raith a very basic footballer, he had a poor first touch, fucking wild crossing and shooting. His hidden weapon seemed to be that he didn't know what his feet would do next, what chance would the defender have? He was also as far as I remember, fucking rapid. Gozie isn't especially quick. 

Gozie is a penalty box striker, a very questionable, frankly quite poor work rate but a reasonably nice footballer, he has a decent first touch and his finishing was good. He is reasonably strong but he'd be just as likely to go down easily to win a free kick as he would to try and win a physical battle. He's closer to a Btech Berbatov than a Tade. 

Theres not a chance that if he was white you'd be comparing him to Tade. 

Edited by Grant228

On 13/08/2017 at 11:44, Beastie Russell said:

Don't know if it's just me, but comparing Osei to Tade doesn't seem right and a bit lazy.

Mark Stewart was fast and had a shite touch, as did Lee Bryce, John Martin and even further back Trevor Williamson.

Would our next ginger haired midfielder be compared to McCord, or baldy moustachioed centre half be compared to George McGechie ?

You'll never guess who this was post was aimed at...

It's just lazy, you're far from the only person to do it and it's recently came out in the media https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/07/racial-bias-football-commentary/ 

Do better. Not every black striker Raith have is like Tade. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

It is an excellent article, I mentioned it some time ago...but that may have been in the League One forum. It’s a problem across sports, around these parts the black athlete is always described by physical attributes while the white athlete is an intelligent player or a hard worker...sigh.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

It's about time we made this thread all about Hearts again, doncha think?

So, any juicy rumors on the decision regarding payment of legal fees?

12 hours ago, Grant228 said:

‘Looks like’ he’s racially stereotyped him. Maybe you’re the racist for assuming he didn’t mean Tade- Esque not as in play style, but just by the fact that he’s got a similar appearance in build, hair colour, beard and skin tone. Piss off.