The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Each of those players has shown themselves capable at the fifth or sixth tier in English football. General consensus is that Scottish Championship is somewhere around fourth to fifth tier equivalent, so these lads are either at the level they were performing at or trying to step up a level, much like most of our team. Mendy was from a much lower level of competition overall, and still showed well at Kelty and definitely developed. He might have worked in League One this year, but the Championship seems likely to be a bridge too far.

Tumilty seems a solid pickup to me, in addition to MacDonald.

Thanks for clarifying that. Just that I’d like us to have a prolonged period of stay in the championship. Experimenting with Unknown’s is risky as f**k. 
I’ve read that a few fans have made team permutations with Mendy in the side. This scares me no end. Concussion or not, or the fact he played well for Kelty shouldn’t be factored in to how he’ll perform in a much higher league, that’s craaaazy.

I'm quite pleased at McGlynns approach this summer he has looked outside of the frankly tepid Scottish transfer pool to try and improve the squad. For me scottish football from the bottom third of SPL downwards can feel a bit like player merry go round where people float around the divisions without much distinction and frequently representing clubs more than once, so a little bit of imagination to tap into a different talent pool is more than welcome. JMG always seems to air on the side of caution to me as well so likely he's only taken recommendations from trusted sources and has seen something in them which will be useful.

Based on what we have i’m relativity confident about staying up, however I still feel we needed 2 wingers and a player that can play both RB and LB as we seriously lack cover in these areas. If we could address these, I believe we could be challenging for the playoffs.

At the end of the day, I'm not really sure what the alternatives look like for players. I imagine we will be close enough to the likes of Arbroath and they have signed Kris Doolan for example. I'd much rather take a chance on some guys from England. 

49 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

At the end of the day, I'm not really sure what the alternatives look like for players. I imagine we will be close enough to the likes of Arbroath and they have signed Kris Doolan for example. I'd much rather take a chance on some guys from England. 

If you look at the teams you'd expect us to be about, I'm not sure Queen of the South have a full squad and Morton signed Gary Oliver and a winger who was average at the third tier. 

Pretty sure that there was a similar reaction when we brought in Grant Murray and Dougie Hill last time we got promoted btw. 

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

If you look at the teams you'd expect us to be about, I'm not sure Queen of the South have a full squad and Morton signed Gary Oliver and a winger who was average at the third tier. 

Pretty sure that there was a similar reaction when we brought in Grant Murray and Dougie Hill last time we got promoted btw. 

Queens certainly don't have a full squad only 3 players signed...

We still need a left winger/midfielder to add balance to the squad. If we have a fit Vaughan who can stay fit then it will be a  choice between Gozie and Manny to partner as we will line up either 442 or 352 neither allow Vaughan to play in a deeper role. One thing we do have this season is plenty of height and strength but its important to get the ball out wide on both wings and get crosses into the box.

My concern with the two upfront is will they work hard outside the box and track back, apparently Gozie when at Dunfermline was quite lazy, had a bad attitude and never worked hard unless the ball was in the box.

Caramel wafer cup final pencilled in for 22nd November.Club awaiting confirmation of the date and venue

Where have you seen this? Venue wise, I’d suspect it would either be Tannadice/Dens or as per originally planned McDiarmid. As it’s a middle ground for both clubs.

Just now, WSDR 88 said:

Where have you seen this? Venue wise, I’d suspect it would either be Tannadice/Dens or as per originally planned McDiarmid. As it’s a middle ground for both clubs.

It's in Bill Clark's comments on the programme download.

Allan got a really rough time, it was horrible to see a player booed onto the pitch.

However I don't think he was good enough at the end of the day.  He was brilliant against Peterhead where he acted as a great foil for Vaughan, and did a lot of hard work to free up space.  However when Vaughan was injured we needed more from him, and we didn't get it.  The difference when Baird finally got fit and when Mclean came in was pretty clear, in my opinion.  

53 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

We still need a left winger/midfielder to add balance to the squad. If we have a fit Vaughan who can stay fit then it will be a  choice between Gozie and Manny to partner as we will line up either 442 or 352 neither allow Vaughan to play in a deeper role. One thing we do have this season is plenty of height and strength but its important to get the ball out wide on both wings and get crosses into the box.

My concern with the two upfront is will they work hard outside the box and track back, apparently Gozie when at Dunfermline was quite lazy, had a bad attitude and never worked hard unless the ball was in the box.

Given our midfield options, would seem a waste to line up with a 2 man midfield. I can see us sticking with the variations on 4 man defence, 3 man midfield we did last season, though we look better balanced to try a 3-5-2 again.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

While still early in the transfer window I think that Raith have got a strong enough spine of the team to be confident of survival. Raith can therefore afford to risk a few donkey signings to maybe find the odd gem from the obscure lower leagues of England; whereas ourselves, Queens and probably Alloa really need players who are likely to do a decent job at this level to avoid a real struggle. 

Gozie wasn't bad, was a bit lazy but he had ability, he doesn't seem to stay long at many clubs. 

Even if a few of the players you've brought in turn out to be duds I still wouldn't have Rovers anywhere near the relegation question tbh, teams like QoTS, Morton and Alloa certainly seem worse off at this stage. 

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Gozie wasn't bad, was a bit lazy but he had ability, he doesn't seem to stay long at many clubs. 

Even if a few of the players you've brought in turn out to be duds I still wouldn't have Rovers anywhere near the relegation question tbh, teams like QoTS, Morton and Alloa certainly seem worse off at this stage. 

Pretty much this to be honest.  We have signed 3 unknown players, not a whole team.  Even if all 3 turn out to be awful, we have at least some kind of options (albeit limited) to fill those spaces.  

It's a risk, but we are in a much better shape than some other sides as you say.