The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What a preseason this has been.

It's brilliant, eh? Gone are the days of Barry Smith and Gary Locke's endlessly boring and predictable transfer windows. McGlynn loves bringing in absolute randoms. 

Frankie Musonda's YouTube highlights reel might be the worst I've ever seen... And then after a couple of minutes he belts one in from thirty yards. Then it's another five minutes of bad first touches and simple passes before he comes in off the right wing, beats a man with a step over and bends an effort into the top corner with his left foot. 

It seems like he's used to playing both centre half and right back, although his full back style seems more reminiscent of Dave McKay than Kieran MacDonald. 

Like Manny Duku, he's totally untested at this level, but he's played a number of games between tiers six and four in England. Shopping in that market you're going to get missed and hits. I'm excited to see how both get on. 

7 hours ago, RaithRyan said:

Noted from the Queens thread we are one 4 teams trying to get Josh McPake on loan from Rangers - Scott McDermott on Twitter

Saw that too...but not sure we’re a favorite in that group. We have a newly signed RB and a pretty salty middle. QoS only have three signed players and would have Dobbie to work with McPake.

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It's brilliant, eh? Gone are the days of Barry Smith and Gary Locke's endlessly boring and predictable transfer windows. McGlynn loves bringing in absolute randoms. 

...Like Manny Duku, he's totally untested at this level, but he's played a number of games between tiers six and four in England. Shopping in that market you're going to get missed and hits. I'm excited to see how both get on. 

Seems JMcG made use of his furlough time looking through the whole internet.

Cynical, but we were (and still are) interested in how Nando gets on. I will say that JMcG seems to pick genuinely good “people”, We’ll see if that translates to “players” too.

4 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Frankie Musonda's YouTube highlights reel might be the worst I've ever seen... And then after a couple of minutes he belts one in from thirty yards. Then it's another five minutes of bad first touches and simple passes before he comes in off the right wing, beats a man with a step over and bends an effort into the top corner with his left foot. 

It seems like he's used to playing both centre half and right back, although his full back style seems more reminiscent of Dave McKay than Kieran MacDonald. 

Like Manny Duku, he's totally untested at this level, but he's played a number of games between tiers six and four in England. Shopping in that market you're going to get missed and hits. I'm excited to see how both get on. 

I dunno, Barry Smith did bring us Euan Murray from the same English tiers, and of course Locke gave us Thornsen, Osei and Coustrain. Complete unknowns, and all shite.

Can only hope McGlynn knows what he's doing.

Always interesting to have a couple of unknown quantities who could turn out to be brilliant or hopeless. Duku definitely seems worth a punt given we have another striker still to come in who will hopefully be more proven.

However, I was hoping we’d have gone for a more known quantity at centre back. Given we now have 4 centre backs, if this guy ends up a dud similar to Mendy (so far) then 36 year old Iain Davidson will be part of our first choice partnership for the full season. With two very questionable options as back up.

However, JM doesn’t get many wrong so have to trust his judgement and hope this guy is a hidden gem. I wasn’t overly excited by our recruitment last summer (Hendry aside obviously) and that worked out okay, albeit with a few key signings after the season started.

Winger (McPake?) and a striker and I think that’s us done. A week before pre season starts that’s pretty encouraging.

Saw that too...but not sure we’re a favorite in that group. We have a newly signed RB and a pretty salty middle. QoS only have three signed players and would have Dobbie to work with McPake.

We’ll see but McPake fits the bill in terms of we are looking for a winger.

Given we are a fairly young side and the opportunities McGlynn gives to the youngsters he might fancy the challenge with us.

The squad is virtually finished and yet it’s hard to judge how good we’re looking given the unknown quantities. We could end up playing Bene/Davidson at CB all season, with questionable replacements on the bench, praying Vaughan doesn’t get injured and relying on an as yet unidentified forward to play up front with him.

Or we might be playing some swashbuckling 3-5-2 with Musonda and Mendy either side of Bene, and Duku rattling in goals every week.

I’d be looking for an established centre back to come in if I’m honest, ideally getting rid of Mendy but I presume if he stays then we’ve little option but to see how he gets on. A striker is the priority as McGlynn identifies but certainly no need to worry about it yet.

Exciting, if nothing else

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Seems to be arriving with quite good reviews from Luton fans.

The three games he played for them 5 years ago before being hawked out to gradually worse teams isn't the most ringing of endorsements I've ever seen. 

27 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The three games he played for them 5 years ago before being hawked out to gradually worse teams isn't the most ringing of endorsements I've ever seen. 

Yup! same as we thought regarding Euan Murray after his 9 outings at Barrow and a dubious half a season at Southend.

24 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Yup! same as we thought regarding Euan Murray after his 9 outings at Barrow and a dubious half a season at Southend.

Euan Murray had been up in Scotland before and was a bit of a known quantity in that regards, this guy is obviously utterly unknown. 

Might tear it up, might be a dud. 

29 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

You're not wrong (although he played fourteen times, not three) but this article is pretty gushing in it's praise. 

Played three league games, should've specified that in fairness. 

It's a nice article and he seems to be a good guy, it makes little to no mention of his abilities as a footballer though.