The New Raith Rovers Thread

I just went back and read through the threads for that Brechin game, and the following week at home to Montrose. 

Deary me, Cuthbert made some choices. I think my favourite bit might be when the team lines go up for the second game, and there are four or five legitimate guesses as to who might be playing right back, and they were all wrong. Having failed with Nisbet at wing back the week before, he'd gone for Euan Murray in that role instead. 

The Brechin game was also the one that was watched by an incredibly conspicuous Nacho Novo, who might as well have been wearing a high vis vest and waving an "employ me" flag. 

That was September 2018. Less than two years ago. John McGlynn's name isn't mentioned once on either of those threads. A real sliding doors moment. 

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where they think we'd be if the board had given Cuthbert, or (God forbid) Novo, the job full-time? 

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

None of the loan players that Mcglynn brought in that season, Hendry excepted, looked up to it at all.  In hindsight he isn't a "firefighting" manager, rather one that you need to let build a squad - as we saw the season past.

However, for context, this is the team that started the first league game of that season away to Stranraer.  

Wright, Watson, Valentine, Murray, Benedictus, Gillespie, Buchanan, Matthews, Wedderburn, Nisbet, McKay.
Subs, McGuff, Milne, Flanagan, Stevenson

The only thing I would say in defence of Smith that season is he was quoted early on as saying he had no money to increase the squad, but when McGlynn came in he was able to make 2 or 3 loan signings immediately. 

Of course it could be that the board didn't give Smith the funds because they didn't trust him to spend it well, which would've been entirely understandable.

The only thing I would say in defence of Smith that season is he was quoted early on as saying he had no money to increase the squad, but when McGlynn came in he was able to make 2 or 3 loan signings immediately. 
Of course it could be that the board didn't give Smith the funds because they didn't trust him to spend it well, which would've been entirely understandable.

McGlynn immediately signed Hendry, Crane and Kevin Silva on loan from Hearts, but bear in mind Kieran Wright and Grant Gillespie both got long-term injuries in Cuthbert’s final match, a fortunate 1-1 home draw with Montrose. Nisbet played right wing back and Vaughan was at defensive midfield. Crazy really.

Wright never played for us again and Gillespie wasn’t seen until December, so really Crane was the only real signing - the claim was Smith had someone lined up before he quit as well.

49 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I just went back and read through the threads for that Brechin game, and the following week at home to Montrose. 

Deary me, Cuthbert made some choices. I think my favourite bit might be when the team lines go up for the second game, and there are four or five legitimate guesses as to who might be playing right back, and they were all wrong. Having failed with Nisbet at wing back the week before, he'd gone for Euan Murray in that role instead. 

The Brechin game was also the one that was watched by an incredibly conspicuous Nacho Novo, who might as well have been wearing a high vis vest and waving an "employ me" flag. 

That was September 2018. Less than two years ago. John McGlynn's name isn't mentioned once on either of those threads. A real sliding doors moment. 

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where they think we'd be if the board had given Cuthbert, or (God forbid) Novo, the job full-time? 

If it was nacho novo we’d be filled with Spanish duds and pish Rangers loanees

10 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
10 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Vaughan did his ACL up in Forfar when we won at the death 2-1

That was the 3rd time. I'm talking about the second time. Nisbet replaced him and scored that day (it was a week or two after Vaughan fired in his hattrick).

Can't keep up with all Vaughan's ACLs 

2 hours ago, Paco said:

McGlynn immediately signed Hendry, Crane and Kevin Silva on loan from Hearts, but bear in mind Kieran Wright and Grant Gillespie both got long-term injuries in Cuthbert’s final match, a fortunate 1-1 home draw with Montrose. Nisbet played right wing back and Vaughan was at defensive midfield. Crazy really.

Wright never played for us again and Gillespie wasn’t seen until December, so really Crane was the only real signing - the claim was Smith had someone lined up before he quit as well.

I remember being at McGurn's testimonial and looking at McGlynn on the touchline thinking "What I'd give to have him back on a regular basis". Seemingly the board thought exactly the same: I do wonder if that day maybe stirred some emotions in McGlynn who remembered how much he enjoyed his spell at the Rovers before. I felt bad for Cuthbert, but he looked completely out of his depth as manager. After the Montrose game, I think even he knew he wasn't the man for the job: we looked completely out of ideas against a team we should've been beating comfortably. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I felt bad for Cuthbert, but he looked completely out of his depth as manager. After the Montrose game, I think even he knew he wasn't the man for the job

I spoke to him before an U20's game at Coatbridge (OK it was midweek, I wasn't doing anything anyway) and he sounded convinced that he was in pole position and he had a massive job to  do.

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Smith was assured of a sum of money available, however the board shilly-shallied over the amount which effectively told him what they thought about him.

11 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Smith was assured of a sum of money available, however the board shilly-shallied over the amount which effectively told him what they thought about him.

Which, in fairness, they weren't exactly wrong. 

It was clear the board were unconvinced by him but at the same time couldn't rationalise getting rid of him based on how close he'd gotten to the championship previously

6 minutes ago, Starks Park Kdy said:

Has anyone had issues buying season tickets after registering? I've put my email address in the box and it says no event found.
Am I too late?

Read that tweet, says from noon tomorrow. 

edit: that’s if you’re not renewing, of course. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

38 minutes ago, Starks Park Kdy said:

Has anyone had issues buying season tickets after registering? I've put my email address in the box and it says no event found.
Am I too late?

16 minutes ago, Starks Park Kdy said:
31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:
Read that tweet, says from noon tomorrow. 

edit: that’s if you’re not renewing, of course. 

Aye, I am renewing and also registered a few weeks ago.

Did you input the correct email address when registering? 

Am I too late?

I would tweet the club & future ticketing, see what they say too, if you’ve done the pre-registration part. They will probably appreciate the feedback also.
Like others, I thought it was great & it couldn’t have been easier.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I remember being at McGurn's testimonial and looking at McGlynn on the touchline thinking "What I'd give to have him back on a regular basis". Seemingly the board thought exactly the same: I do wonder if that day maybe stirred some emotions in McGlynn who remembered how much he enjoyed his spell at the Rovers before. I felt bad for Cuthbert, but he looked completely out of his depth as manager. After the Montrose game, I think even he knew he wasn't the man for the job: we looked completely out of ideas against a team we should've been beating comfortably. 

I saw McGlynn outside the tea room that day and asked if he was coming back. 

His wee smirk assured me that the second coming was imminent.