The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well no, financially it costs quite a good amount for a one off payment to pay someone off when they've got two years left to run on a contract. 
Financially you would've been far better loaning him out, which is what you done. 
Correct, but it wouldn't have been out of the question for us to write off his contract this summer given we've made similar decisions in the past.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
7 hours ago, Grant228 said:
Well no, financially it costs quite a good amount for a one off payment to pay someone off when they've got two years left to run on a contract. 
Financially you would've been far better loaning him out, which is what you done. 

Correct, but it wouldn't have been out of the question for us to write off his contract this summer given we've made similar decisions in the past.

True, but the likes of Flannigan was maybe easier to deal with because he knew he could get another club. I'm not sure that's the case with Mendy. There's every chance he'd refuse if we offered him the chance to walk away. 

26 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Quite, but then if you're struggling for cash at the moment it's unlikely you'd have the capacity for a one off payment just now. 

I'm surprised you haven't just loaned him back out to Kelty

Quite, but then if you're struggling for cash at the moment it's unlikely you'd have the capacity for a one off payment just now. 

I'm surprised you haven't just loaned him back out to Kelty
Yeah, this wouldn't surprise me. At the b moment, he's an extra body we can use. Dave McKay being out for the season means we'll need another centre half so you'd expect it'll be sorted once we get another body in.

He’s basically said that we can’t afford to release mendy as to the reason he’s still signed on at the club, I’m sure I’ve quoted the right person. 

Ok. What does him being good in friendlies and winning a lot of aerial duels have to do with it being expensive to pay him off out of his contract? What you said had no relevance to what Grant said.

Excited and nervous about my new away top arriving.

Bought the old one a few months in May, loved it.  Fitted alright - apart from the neck being so tight that i need to force my head through?!  However tried it on again last week and all those bevvy sessions on zoom seem to have taken its toll and it is a little tight round the gut! Either that or it shrunk in the wash like a lot of my clothes seem to have done 🤣

I had hopes for Mendy but I get the feeling the gaffer doesn't believe that he'll make the grade and sooner or later I think he'll go. Problem with that is even if you want rid he doesn't have to go unless you sack him and I cant see that happening. 

Conversely it wouldn't surprise me if he got another chance with a run out in the closed door friendlies and if he doesn't show enough then he'll likely be away on loan again until the end of his contract. On the other hand if he shows up well and has improved then John may decide to keep him around as cover for those emergencies we seem to generate each season.

3 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I had hopes for Mendy but I get the feeling the gaffer doesn't believe that he'll make the grade and sooner or later I think he'll go. Problem with that is even if you want rid he doesn't have to go unless you sack him and I cant see that happening. 

Conversely it wouldn't surprise me if he got another chance with a run out in the closed door friendlies and if he doesn't show enough then he'll likely be away on loan again until the end of his contract. On the other hand if he shows up well and has improved then John may decide to keep him around as cover for those emergencies we seem to generate each season.

Mendy is young, tall and athletic, three things you can’t teach. The sole unknown right now is does he have the ability to process the game at this level...some players with tremendous abilities never develop the understanding of the game necessary to thrive at the higher levels, it is a complex process. However, Mendy’s success at Kelty shows some ability to develop, something we will hopefully check out in the friendlies, and then decide if he’s viable at the Championship level. I don’t see a return engagement at Kelty happening, if he’s loaned again, I would think it would be to at least a League Two team.

Keeping him as a backup doesn’t help his development as much, and would tell us that JMcG considers him almost ready in the Championship...unlikely, but we can hope. Not buying him out, instead using a loan and honoring his contract while developing his skills makes us possibly more attractive to other similarity placed players (see Duku, Manny) who might come good for pennies spent. JMcG has a decent record of developing players, fingers crossed.

Season ticket renewed, nice and easy.  Did wonder if they might have some issues with it being a brand new system but couldn't be easier. 

I also had reservations, but obviously if you had inputted your details prior, then it made it very easy and straight forward to do.

New home strip, decent signings (so far), and the season ticket bought. I am buzzing! Can’t wait for October.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Mendy is young, tall and athletic, three things you can’t teach. The sole unknown right now is does he have the ability to process the game at this level...some players with tremendous abilities never develop the understanding of the game necessary to thrive at the higher levels, it is a complex process. However, Mendy’s success at Kelty shows some ability to develop, something we will hopefully check out in the friendlies, and then decide if he’s viable at the Championship level. I don’t see a return engagement at Kelty happening, if he’s loaned again, I would think it would be to at least a League Two team.

Keeping him as a backup doesn’t help his development as much, and would tell us that JMcG considers him almost ready in the Championship...unlikely, but we can hope. Not buying him out, instead using a loan and honoring his contract while developing his skills makes us possibly more attractive to other similarity placed players (see Duku, Manny) who might come good for pennies spent. JMcG has a decent record of developing players, fingers crossed.

Being the right build and attitude helps but only to a point, Macca and Regan were outstanding players in L1 last season but would they be good enough to play in the English Championship or Premier?  Its a huge ask to bring him into a side 3 leagues up from where he was last season when he was not deemed capable of a run in L1.  John McGlynn watches him every day in training, He'll know and likely have decided by now if he has it or not. He doesn't speculate from a distance of 10 miles (like I do) or a few thousand miles (like you do).

I think you are right about his development not being aided by hanging around with the stiffs and that's another reason I think he'll be shipped out.  The main reason for this conclusion is the posturing of John McGlynn, not since Mendy went to Kelty have we heard a cheep about him from the manager, if he had a place in the managers plans John would have said so. He has been vocal in his praise of Tait, Bowie, Spencer, Smith, Vaughanny and of course Macca and Regan, others such as Miller and Dingwall have seen little comment made and the way I see it, Mendy is in the same boat.

I’d be amazed, and delighted if Mendy could play a part next season, but saying he could fit into a back three, based on, well I’m not sure, seems wild.

He was decent in the friendly against what was essentially a Stirling Albion trialist team, but I don’t remember him being anything startling against Spartans or Hamilton.

By all means give him the benefit of the doubt in the first two League Cup games against Dundee and Inverness if he was injured, but with the greatest will in the world, it was two of the worst defensive displays I’ve ever seen.

He was recovered from his injury when he was brought on as a sub in the last cup tie versus Peterhead, and within a few minutes had another disaster.

He wasn’t even making the bench for a host of games at the tail end of last season, which would suggest he hadn’t exactly come on leaps and bounds, which, considering Kelty win by about five every week and their opponents never touch the ball, isn’t that surprising.