The New Raith Rovers Thread

42 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Kieran Wright has started following the official Ayr United twitter page and we are in need of a goalkeeper so putting 2+2 together I reckon we could be signing him. I see he was with you guys 18/19 season. Was he decent? 

Nothing compared to Jammer or Parry. He would not have played the rest of the season unless Parry was injured again. Questionable kicking, no aerial presence, questionable handling.

This was the nail in the coffin for him last season. 

I can't really recall Wright making too many outstanding performances. If you gave me a choice between him and Robbie Thomson, I'd be taking Thomson ahead of him in spite of injury problems. He wasn't awful, and is probably helped with the hindsight he wasn't a midfielder with an attitude problem like most loanees we've had from Ibrox. 

On 24/07/2020 at 08:38, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Probably in my top 5 for how mental I've went at a goal too. 

Remember the absolute carnage that was Walker's equaliser against the Pars? 

Jeezo! I honestly reckon I went temporarily insane. 

On 24/07/2020 at 10:32, RaithRover123 said:

Might not have been a winner but walker’s looping backward header equalising against the pars was lovely

On 24/07/2020 at 09:29, Zen Archer Esq. said:

2012 away to Cowdenbeath, two goals down twice in the game and Mensing pokes home deep into time added on to make it 4-4

Favourite injury-time equaliser would be a toss-up between Walker against Dunfermline and Casa against Ayr, yes. The one at Cowdenbeath I don't remember being too jazzed about - partly because despite all the goals I mostly just remember it as being a pretty shit game.

A word also for Simmons' equaliser two seasons before Casa's - lots of parallels, also against Ayr, also at Stark's, it was equally late and equally important in the relegation scrap, changed the momentum of the season for both clubs. But whereas - as I remember it - Casa's equaliser was entirely deserved, Simmons' was a steal, they'd outplayed us and been denied by McGurn. (Think I'm right in saying it was also the game with the famous triple save, among others.)

If we're expanding it to include winners then Mark Ferry's against Arbroath was my favourite of the several late winners we scored in the 08/09 promotion season.

(For me personally, though, it's hard to imagine anything ever topping being at Wembley for this. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbOPAuIo74 )

11 minutes ago, Yoss said:

If we're expanding it to include winners then Mark Ferry's against Arbroath was my favourite of the several late winners we scored in the 08/09 promotion season.

Oh yes that was a fantastic ending to that game especially due to Arbroath equalising so late on. I was halfway down the stairs about to head up the road when Ferry scored and I don't think my feet touched the ground as a surge of folk ran down to the bottom of the stand carrying me with them. 

16 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Favourite injury-time equaliser would be a toss-up between Walker against Dunfermline and Casa against Ayr, yes. The one at Cowdenbeath I don't remember being too jazzed about - partly because despite all the goals I mostly just remember it as being a pretty shit game.

A word also for Simmons' equaliser two seasons before Casa's - lots of parallels, also against Ayr, also at Stark's, it was equally late and equally important in the relegation scrap, changed the momentum of the season for both clubs. But whereas - as I remember it - Casa's equaliser was entirely deserved, Simmons' was a steal, they'd outplayed us and been denied by McGurn. (Think I'm right in saying it was also the game with the famous triple save, among others.)

(For me personally, though, it's hard to imagine anything ever topping being at Wembley for this. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbOPAuIo74 )

Dickov’s goal topping Aguero’s? 

My favourite was probably Walker’s against Dundee. Just a brilliant goal in the last embers of the match. Ferry’s against Arbroath definitely up there also. 

14 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

The panel have looked at all the evidence and have concluded that Hearts were fucking shite.

That's not 100% correct!

They said Partick Thisle were honking too!

9 hours ago, Wardy said:

Dickov’s goal topping Aguero’s? 

Well the most obvious difference was that I was there for Dickov's and not for Aguero's.

But the more important difference, for me, was that by the time of Aguero's goal the Man City I had grown up supporting had ceased to exist and had been replaced by a PR exercise for a regime with a shocking human rights record.

10 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Scenes at the end.

Simmons didn't score many but the ones he did were generally big moments - that one, the equaliser against Ayr I mentioned a few posts ago, the cup game at Dens. Add in his role in the winning streak that took us to the title in 2009, his absolute heroics at Pittodrie the following year (which alone merits cult status), his role again in the nearly season of 10/11 and his being so unpopular with Pars fans and I'm always mystified he's not more fondly remembered by us. 

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Simmons didn't score many but the ones he did were generally big moments - that one, the equaliser against Ayr I mentioned a few posts ago, the cup game at Dens. Add in his role in the winning streak that took us to the title in 2009, his absolute heroics at Pittodrie the following year (which alone merits cult status), his role again in the nearly season of 10/11 and his being so unpopular with Pars fans and I'm always mystified he's not more fondly remembered by us. 

Simmons was fucking excellent for us, I can’t get my head around folk not liking him. Every single player that played for us during his time, when asked, says so, too. 

What’s the thinking behind the face mask being incredibly Rangers-y blue rather than a standard navy? Dundee have a really nice, understated one which is just navy blue and the badge on the side. I need to wear a mask all day, every day at work and would’ve loved to have a Rovers branded one but the colour is just bad.

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

He did get sent off in tears having been wound up something rotten in a Fife Derby, I liked him more after that. I'd imagine he isn't remembered fondly by Raith fans for the same reason he isn't remembered fondly by Pars or QoTS fans, he wasn't the player he could've been. 

You said it yourself, on the big occasions he was absolutely capable of being a great player, quite often though he'd go missing. He scored big, important goals for Dunfermline, he would then go missing and be an empty shirt for weeks, frustrating. 

Providing players put in the graft they'll get away with allot, fans don't take well to players not putting in everything they can. 

I've never met Simmons, but he always struck me as someone who never totally loved being a footballer.

He often gave the impression that if he could have earned a pound a week more stacking shelves or working down the pit, he'd have been happy to do so. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What’s the thinking behind the face mask being incredibly Rangers-y blue rather than a standard navy? Dundee have a really nice, understated one which is just navy blue and the badge on the side. I need to wear a mask all day, every day at work and would’ve loved to have a Rovers branded one but the colour is just bad.

There is one with just the badge and no blue at all. 

The blue one looks like it has the different shades of blue similar to last year's home top, two big rovers badges and C.O.Y.R printed in the middle. Rangersy haha get a grip. 

Great to see the club have these on sale. I will be buying a couple for work for sure.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

I've never met Simmons, but he always struck me as someone who never totally loved being a footballer.

He often gave the impression that if he could have earned a pound a week more stacking shelves or working down the pit, he'd have been happy to do so. 

I'd agree with that, the fact he's totally disappeared from football since retiring at a relatively young age would back it up aswell.