The New Raith Rovers Thread

Aye he was, He was certainly on the list McGlynn was looking at.
Were you looking over McGlynns shoulder?
Geezo,,not going to get into a spat 
Happy with my  info 
Doesnt matter. He hasn't signed for us regardless. Shake hands and move on.

Rovers approach Dowds:

"Hi Anton, it's Paul Smith here. I happen to know that you're on John's list of signings, would you be happy to have a chat about joining us?" 

"Definitely, at the moment my best options are Falkirk or a new deal at East Fife, so this sounds ideal" 

Dowds arrives at Starks and bumps into Bill Clark:

"Hi, Anton Dowds here to see John McGlynn" 

"Sorry Anton, I've seen the list and you're most definitely not on it. Get to Falkirk". 

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Arguing over who the biggest confidence betraying attention seeker is 😅

Here’s an idea, if your not truly happy with the content on a Raith Rovers thread, why don’t you troop off back to the Dunfermline thread. They’ll undoubtedly welcome you with open arms, just a thought!!!

23 hours ago, michaeljohnstone said:

Spot on, Davo had Dobbie under control for most of the two legs. I just remember Dykes running from 45 yards out and passing it in from 20 yards. He was incredible that day.

Dykes was outstanding in the 1st leg at Starks. He scored one, absolutely caused the own goal, hit the post with one he should have scored with and generally ran amok around your defence all game. We SHOULD have won that game by 4 or 5 goals, not the 3-1 we did that kept it vaguely alive into the second leg.

Dobbie was relatively quiet 1st leg, though he made Murray's goal for him despite being "well marshalled and under control". He didn't need to be anything else, Dykes was running the show anyway. I don't recall him being under control particularly 2nd leg, I'm sure he had a good few chances and just didn't take them. He certainly wasn't fully fit at the time either, having just returned from a hamstring injury.

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We had an incredibly in form Dykes that season laying it on a plate for Dobbie to bury. Sadly we were as bad defensively as we were good offensively. Dobbie's goals saved our skin that season.

Last season we never had anything close to Dykes and Dobbie suffered as a result (or you can look at it from the outside and come away with the usual ignorant patter of "Dobbie is finished".) I would love to know how many chances Dobbs had this season compared to last. To get to double figures with the utter dross he had behind him was as incredible as his 40 odd goals the season before tbh.

Sadly I'm skeptical we'll bring in anyone close to Dykes's quality again this season and fully expect us to scrapping right down the bottom again.

He's not finished and losing Dykes as a partner was a massive part of his reduced return (plus that season was exceptional anyway but you'd generally expect 20 goals or so from him), but the patter than it was the only issue is nonsense too. Dobbie had a poor season by his standards. You only had to watch him snatching at chances he normally would have buried and seeing him regularly hit defenders with strikes to see that.

13 hours ago, Flash said:

The league form went tits after we beat County 4-0. We scored 8 goals in the last 15 league games, so it wasn’t like we were banging them in but conceding more. I think Dobbie only scored 3 pens in that run and Dykes scored once. Dobbie went off injured with 5 games to go and although he played in the last league game, he was miles off the pace. He still wasn’t fully recovered for the play-offs. However, we stopped scoring as many with 15 games to go. Possibly due to losing Harkins and his replacement (Low) only being able to play a few games due to injury. And also because Naysmith sometimes played Dykes on the left or as an auxiliary central midfield player - he was closer to our box than the opposition’s for much of the time.  The point I’m making is that even with Dykes, we weren’t scoring many from the County game in January onwards.

This pretty much. We were doing fine come back end of January and it's not really true to say the squad was rubbish but Dobbie and Dykes kept it afloat. They ultimately did but we had a decent enough squad which SHOULD have been borderline playoffs at the right end really. It wasn't perfect defensively but it was ok. Losing Semple hurt us and not having anything like a settled goalkeeper while we chopped and changed between Martin, Leighfield and Mehmet in the the last three months didn't help either. Injuries to Low and Todd also hurt us badly, the squad didn't have the depth to cope with that although it should never have been dragged into the relegation scrap. It just seemed that once the slide started we just couldn't stop it.

Raith were unlucky in that the change of manager proved a catalyst for a bounce back in form plus Dobbie and Todd (and Martin) were back by then and Johnston had put faith in Connor Murray. We were far stronger than you'd expect a playoff side to be and if we'd taken even half the chances we created in both legs we'd have won a lot more comfortably.

59 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Here’s an idea, if your not truly happy with the content on a Raith Rovers thread, why don’t you troop off back to the Dunfermline thread. They’ll undoubtedly welcome you with open arms, just a thought!!!

Here's an idea; if you're unhappy with fans of other teams commenting on the thread of the team you support, perhaps a multi club forum isn't for you and you should troop off back to a single club forum. They'll undoubtedly welcome you with open arms. Just a thought!

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

We don't fucking want him, you can keep him.