The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Dowds could probably do with another season in League One so not too disappointed to miss out. If he can have a good season at that level with Falkirk, I’d be more confident about him being able to make the step up to a club like ours after that...

Dowds fills a need we don’t have. He’s more of a Second Striker, looked especially good connecting the middle and forwards at EF. With our midfield, I don’t see a good spot for Dowds with the Rovers.

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Dowds could probably do with another season in League One so not too disappointed to miss out. If he can have a good season at that level with Falkirk, I’d be more confident about him being able to make the step up to a club like ours after that...

Aye cos the gulf from us to your lot is huge right enough. I'd be careful what you wish for. 

6 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Hopefully by the end of this week this arbitration is done and dusted and we'll see some players incoming knowing we're a Championship side  

Um, you're definitely going to be a Championship side. The arbitration will be deciding financial compensation, it's not going to have any effect on promotion/relegation.

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Dowds fills a need we don’t have. He’s more of a Second Striker, looked especially good connecting the middle and forwards at EF. With our midfield, I don’t see a good spot for Dowds with the Rovers.

I’m with you on that, we need a bit of experience especially about the division we enter. I still shudder getting raped by Stephen Dobbie FC in the play offs. 

I’m with you on that, we need a bit of experience especially about the division we enter. I still shudder getting raped by Stephen Dobbie FC in the play offs. 

Did Dobbie cause us that many problems in the play offs? From memory it was Dykes that tore us apart.

53 minutes ago, michaeljohnstone said:

Spot on, Davo had Dobbie under control for most of the two legs. I just remember Dykes running from 45 yards out and passing it in from 20 yards. He was incredible 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Did Dobbie cause us that many problems in the play offs? From memory it was Dykes that tore us apart.

The fact our defence concentrated on stifling Dobbie at all costs it allowed the other forwards to do the damage. Davo apparently had Dobbie well marked he didn’t mark the others. The tactic was to stop him. That’s just what I saw anyway. 

I’m fairly certain Connor Murray caused us a fair amount of grief as well, especially at Stark’s Park, but Dobbie was well marshalled, albeit he was just coming back from injury.

Considering Dykes is now regularly ragdolling Christian Jullien who cost over seven million, we can probably give Davidson and Benedictus a bye with that one.

20 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’m fairly certain Connor Murray caused us a fair amount of grief as well, especially at Stark’s Park, but Dobbie was well marshalled, albeit he was just coming back from injury.

Considering Dykes is now regularly ragdolling Christian Jullien who cost over seven million, we can probably give Davidson and Benedictus a bye with that one.

Exactly, it was weird how that QoS team landed up in the relegation spots

Exactly, it was weird how that QoS team landed up in the relegation spots
We had an incredibly in form Dykes that season laying it on a plate for Dobbie to bury. Sadly we were as bad defensively as we were good offensively. Dobbie's goals saved our skin that season.

Last season we never had anything close to Dykes and Dobbie suffered as a result (or you can look at it from the outside and come away with the usual ignorant patter of "Dobbie is finished".) I would love to know how many chances Dobbs had this season compared to last. To get to double figures with the utter dross he had behind him was as incredible as his 40 odd goals the season before tbh.

Sadly I'm skeptical we'll bring in anyone close to Dykes's quality again this season and fully expect us to scrapping right down the bottom again.

Guest Flash
50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We had an incredibly in form Dykes that season laying it on a plate for Dobbie to bury. Sadly we were as bad defensively as we were good offensively. Dobbie's goals saved our skin that season.

Last season we never had anything close to Dykes and Dobbie suffered as a result (or you can look at it from the outside and come away with the usual ignorant patter of "Dobbie is finished".) I would love to know how many chances Dobbs had this season compared to last. To get to double figures with the utter dross he had behind him was as incredible as his 40 odd goals the season before tbh.

Sadly I'm skeptical we'll bring in anyone close to Dykes's quality again this season and fully expect us to scrapping right down the bottom again.

The league form went tits after we beat County 4-0. We scored 8 goals in the last 15 league games, so it wasn’t like we were banging them in but conceding more. I think Dobbie only scored 3 pens in that run and Dykes scored once. Dobbie went off injured with 5 games to go and although he played in the last league game, he was miles off the pace. He still wasn’t fully recovered for the play-offs. However, we stopped scoring as many with 15 games to go. Possibly due to losing Harkins and his replacement (Low) only being able to play a few games due to injury. And also because Naysmith sometimes played Dykes on the left or as an auxiliary central midfield player - he was closer to our box than the opposition’s for much of the time.  The point I’m making is that even with Dykes, we weren’t scoring many from the County game in January onwards.