The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Great coup for Raith. Couldn’t believe our luck when he came to Alloa last season and for me, was the best keeper in the league. Absolute phenomenal shot-stopper and plenty of experience. Top signing.

He is good, he wasnt better than McCrorie though.

I never saw Mendy play but was curious for those that did, apart from looking arguably mince at defending, did he get the chance to go up for any corners?

When was the last time after the initial clap and cheer for winning a corner you sat down and thought, there's a good chance we score from this?

Feel we have been lacking that for years. 

Grant Anderson looked great at the start of the season.  I would say his years of bombing up and down the wing are gone but as a target man in the box/up top knocking the ball down for Vaughan to score or work some magic - could maybe work well.

1 hour ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Is McCrorie future Scotland number 1 stuff? Not seen much of him prob 5% ha. looking forward to seeing more of him this season on Sportscene with the new season. Just that Scotland screaming out for a keeper.

McCrorie will eventually be Rangers number 1 and Scotland keeper for many years 

I never saw Mendy play but was curious for those that did, apart from looking arguably mince at defending, did he get the chance to go up for any corners?
When was the last time after the initial clap and cheer for winning a corner you sat down and thought, there's a good chance we score from this?
Grant Anderson looked great at the start of the season.  I would say his years of bombing up and down the wing are gone but as a target man in the box/up top knocking the ball down for Vaughan to score or work some magic - could maybe work well.

Cant remember what he was like in the opposition box. My memory of Mendy was that he strolled the first few friendlies, then we played Dundee who brought a decent away support and the forwards were all over him. He made a few mistakes and his confidence seemed gone after that and actually thought it was poor handling from JMcG at the time to put him in against a team like that so early. He’s now had his spell as Kelty and i’m sure he’s adjusted slightly to the Scottish game in that time. I think he could come on strong this season.

I can’t remember him coming up for corners so much but agree that it’s a real shame we don’t seem to have that dangers from them we did in the past.

His performance against Dundee was real heart in mouth stuff. Wincing whenever he was on the ball or whenever it came near him. He had a real horror show and we simply can’t afford those kind of elemental errors in any league game.

By all accounts he did well at Kelty and I’d like nothing more than to see him kick on. He’s got all the physical attributes to succeed in this league but the confidence and concentration didn’t seem to be there. Quite telling that after his return from loan he didn’t get on the pitch once, so I’m not holding out a lot of hope.

I saw him numerous times at Kelty and albeit at a lower level, he was a fucking machine. He doesn’t lose in the air and he kept things simple and was commanding the line. I hope he’ll do well this season. I think an issue was that in the friendlies he couldn’t understand English one on one during an interview, but his English is much improved, so he could be talked through games where needed now.

That Dundee game was an absolute car crash for Mendy. He kept getting caught in possession. I can only assume that in France’s lower leagues the game is played at a slower pace with less pressing. Mendy wanted to take the ball out of defence but he didn’t seem to have much awareness of opposition players. Was it Paul McGowan who kept robbing him? He was bullied that day.

Difficult to come back from that. McGlynn tried Mendy again, shortly after, against Peterhead. We were 3-0 and cruising. Mendy played a short back pass for Peterhead to make it 3-1. Then he nearly scored an own goal with a header, so he is dangerous, just need to get that happening at the other end. After those performances, McGlynn was understandably reluctant to play him.

Physically he looks a machine. So it wouldn’t surprise me if McGlynn could turn him into a decent footballer. The coronavirus thing is just eating into his contract time, though, so time is against him.

3 hours ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Is McCrorie future Scotland number 1 stuff? Not seen much of him prob 5% ha. looking forward to seeing more of him this season on Sportscene with the new season. Just that Scotland screaming out for a keeper.

Probably.

Obviously you can't be certain. His progress could stall or he could get a bad injury. He is VERY good though. Whilst he wasn't the only reason by any means, it's not a coincidence that we went from being incapable of defending the back end of the season before, to one of the best defences in the division for the first half of last season and back to being incapable of defending after McCrorie left (Brownlie leaving was also a part of that though). He looked as good as anyone in the Championship when playing for Morton the year before too and he was only 20 then. For me he's a little better than Ross Doohan who was similarly on loan from Celtic to Ayr for the last two seasons and looks likely to follow the same career path as McCrorie again by heading to Ross County this season. They are the two young keepers coming through though.

He's tall, comes and takes crosses, dominates his 6 yard box, and has excellent reactions. He's young and he makes the odd mistake but it's gone from his head very quickly. He had one bad game for us last season when, 1-0 up on Partick Thistle at home, he could reasonably be blamed for both their late goals which got them an ill deserved 2-1 win (and we'd have heard a lot less about their unfair relegation if they hadn't turned that one around!). It didn't shake his confidence though. he was back out the next week making match winning saves.

I didn't really see much of him playing for Livi on tv but their fans seemed to think he was decent enough but not as good as their previous keeper who went back to Aston Villa. It will be interesting to see how he goes with a full season with them. He's stepped up level year on year over the last 3 or 4 and not missed a beat. It's clear Rangers are grooming him as their next number 1. He's certainly the 2nd best keeper there but he's not better than McGregor yet so they've signed him to a long term contract and allowed him to go out and play games elsewhere whilst hiring Jon McLaughlin to do the bench warming.

As much as I like and rate Zander Clark, I'd say McCrorie was better at the same age on loan (we got to see Clark develop for longer though in his year and a half). I'm not sure if he's better than Jamie MacDonald was 12 or 13 years ago when he had a year and a half with us too but he's certainly up there, and he's about 5 inches taller too.

Definitely the heir apparent to McGregor at Rangers though he may wait a couple of years for it. Longer term Scotland recognition will probably come, especially once he's playing for Rangers. I don't think he's ready for that level yet but given the dearth of decent cover behind David Marshall now he might get called up anyway if he starts next season well at Livi. I'd probably still have Clark ahead of him right now though.

With Watson gone, is McKay and Smith the only surviving members of Craig Easton’s dev squad? Didn’t we won the under twenties division twice and it all went tits up when it went back to reserve football?
Aye, pretty much. Kyle Bell is still at East Fife and one of the lads ended up at kelty u20s. Other than that there's been very little about the rest. We seemed to put more money and effort into that team in a league where most didn't really care. Since then we've done really well with being selective about the Fife Elite players coming through.

6 hours ago, michaeljohnstone said:

With Watson gone, is McKay and Smith the only surviving members of Craig Easton’s dev squad? Didn’t we won the under twenties division twice and it all went tits up when it went back to reserve football?

Raith Rovers  
Rory Brian  
Jamie Watson  
Kevin McHattie  
James Berry  
Josh MacDonald  
David McKay  
Kyle Bell  
Ryan Stevenson  
John Herron  
Johnny Court  
Trialist A  
sub: Jack Smith  
sub: Kieran Dall  
sub: Euan Valentine  
sub: Gregor Jordan  
sub: Christopher Peden  
sub: Lewis McCann  
sub: Lewis Crosbie

That was the line up on 09/04/18 when they beat Cowdenbeath 4-0 to clinch the Development League East.

3208-2-640x427.jpg