The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, renton said:

the fact that he re-signed all three?

Bene is solid enough, McKay fas a future (imo) and Davo is a squad reserve on the cheap.

You need 2 as 1st choice and 2 for cover for injuries and suspensions.

Robbie Thomson, David McGurn, Kyle Bow

David McKay, Kyle Benedictus, Iain Davidson, Fernandy Mendy, Kieran MacDonald

Daniel Armstrong, Regan Hendry, Brad Spencer, Ross Matthews, Dylan Tait, Quinn Coulson

Lewis Vaughan, Jack Smith, Grant Anderson

That’s how we’re sitting then. 17 players. Goalies are sorted at least until the inevitable injury crisis. Right back and centre back look like obvious areas to improve, but with McKay staying I think we might only see one or the other - unless we can move Mendy out.

Midfield is probably missing a winger and that’s about it. Certainly very good options in the middle of the park, to the extent it’ll be a shame if we don’t have three of those guys starting every week.

And up front, I think I’d be looking for two players but McGlynn might just look for one and bank on Vaughan’s fitness/Jack Smith having a proper breakthrough season.

I really want to see Mendy do well. Everyone’s forgetting that he did suffer a concussion playing Cowdenbeath. He was perfectly fine in the friendlies before that. Also was standout in the 4/5 games I saw him play for Kelty. Looked strong, kept his cool in pressure situations and is an absolute tank in the air, didn’t lose a single aerial battle.
He was a liability in the friendlies. He was one or two stupid passes a game that caused carnage.

37 minutes ago, renton said:

Unless he's being converted to a right back, full time.

The Rovers wouldn't do that to me, would they?

I've been loyal, I buy a season ticket, I went to that Stranraer game that got called off and then the road was closed, I put money into all the fundraisers, even the daft ones for lawyers, I didn't grumble that time I ordered a mug from the online shop and it was smashed when it arrived... And all I want... all I ask for... is no more centre halfs playing at full back. 

I think a lot of people might overlook the role Dylan Tait could play next season. He was excellent at league 1 level and I doubt any of us would put it past him to kick on and do similar to Bowie if given the chance and with hard work. He looks an outstanding talent. 

I dare say we are getting our "could do a job in either league" signings out the way, just in case.
Correct, we will sign nobody of any quality until our participation is guaranteed in the championship. While all other clubs will be picking up players

6 minutes ago, Langtounlaud said:

Davo, Andersob should have  been released not good enough now for this level. Andersob rarely played last season. We need a proper back up or 1st choice keeper, a right back, centre half first choice, a left sided midfielder and at least 2 strikers as Smith is constantly injured and we cannot rely on Vaughan being fit all season.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I quite like Dingwall. Great wee lad for winning free kicks. A strong Rovers side always needs someone with a funny running style. Whether it’s Stuart Romaines, Brian Fairbairn, or now Tony Dingwall. Which others have we had with mental running styles. It’s like Monty Python down at the San Starko.

Best wishes to Tony Dingwall.

Right...so we need to find another player who runs in a comical manner and who can take pressure off us by winning free kicks.

9 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Davo, Andersob should have  been released not good enough now for this level. Andersob rarely played last season. We need a proper back up or 1st choice keeper, a right back, centre half first choice, a left sided midfielder and at least 2 strikers as Smith is constantly injured and we cannot rely on Vaughan being fit all season.

😢

Feel a bit for Michael Miller. He was solid enough and chipped in a good number of goals for a right back. He should find a club easily enough. Dingwall had the occasional moment but it was far too few and far between. We caught glimpses of the player who looked promising at County, but a lot of the time he added very little. Not direct enough to be a winger, not technical enough to be a centre midfielder or number 10. 

Obviously with Victoria and Allan we knew they'd not be back. Victoria looks very much a confidence player and never got going when we needed it. 

As for Allan, I'd be amazed if he plays senior football again. Obviously it's brutal to speculate but Benedictus did say in an interview that he was in bits after being boo'd onto the pitch when he was introduced after one game (I might be remembering this wrong) and highlighted the role the fans can play on a mindset. McGlynn then said he wouldn't be appearing due to off the pitch issues. We live in an era where you only need to look at social media and see how often people are talking about their mental health, and seeing the influence people can have on each other. We can't confirm what happened but if we can take the comments we do know, maybe it's a lesson for people not be so brutal. People are quickly to forget players are playing for their livelyhood and it doesn't benefit anyone to go into their job and get immediate negative feedback. 

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

😢

Feel a bit for Michael Miller. He was solid enough and chipped in a good number of goals for a right back. He should find a club easily enough.

I would be very surprised if another League One team didnt snap him right up. Since he can play in the middle, Falkirk might take a bite.