The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 hours ago, DanElderRRFC said:

‪Rovers earned a point from a Tuesday night trip to Dingwall thanks to a stunning strike by Moussa Ouattara.‬

Another goal I'd not seen since the time. Remembered the strike itself but not how good a goal it was including the run before it.

(I had to get up at something like 6am to travel down from Kirkwall for that game, just to stand in the cold and watch that lot. The goal made it all worthwhile. That and the absolutely delicious venison in The Mallard before the game.)

8 hours ago, renton said:

Did he not give a 2 year deal to Scott McBride?

He's usually pretty good but there is the odd misstep in there...

The two year contracts in McGlynn's first spell were a very good thing for us, over the piece. But they also included Andy Tod and Joe Dunbar.

Its almost as if we are preparing for league one again. 

McGurn - almost past it, good for league one but not for championship

Thomson - Average, will be found out at championship level 

Bene and Davo - The two defenders that couldn't defend in league one never mind at a higher level 

Ross Mathews - good to keep him

Armstrong and Anderson - players who were in and out the team, both not good enough or consistent enough

All the signs of a relegation scrap 

I won’t hear a word said against Grant Anderson. Hard worker, strong, quick, wins headers. Can use him to stretch a stuffy defence as a striker or track a dangerous winger up and down the park for 90 minutes.

Players like Nathan Flanagan or Chris Johnston are much better at playing football but there’s only one man you’d have in your squad from those three.

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You’d think John McGlynn would’ve earned a bit of respect for his work since he’s come back. Trust him.

But signing on Anderson, who couldn’t get a game in league 1 isn’t exactly a positive move. 

14 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Its almost as if we are preparing for league one again. 

McGurn - almost past it, good for league one but not for championship

Thomson - Average, will be found out at championship level 

Bene and Davo - The two defenders that couldn't defend in league one never mind at a higher level 

Ross Mathews - good to keep him

Armstrong and Anderson - players who were in and out the team, both not good enough or consistent enough

All the signs of a relegation scrap 

Armstrong would’ve played more if we had another good winger 

Armstrong would’ve played more if we had another good winger 
That's quite contradicting tbh. He would have played more if he wasn't injured and had been fit though. When he was getting up to fitness he looked the player we had first time around in flashes. Typical lower league winger though, will blow hot and cold.

Mind the last time we got promoted? We brought in Grant Murray and Dougie Hill on trial and some folk were raging we signed them both - Hill was apparently useless in division 2 and Murray was past it. Both then went on to have really successful careers. Nobody has a clue what our squad will look like. Keep the heid and trust SJM. 

I wouldn't be too excited or upset by the signings, you have to trust John and Paul with things.

McGurn Is a pt GK coach and registered as a player. Wont be an expensive signing.

Thommo is a good keeper, would have liked to see MacDonald or Rogers come but hey ho, and though less likely there is still time yet as neither have signed for anyone else that I've seen.

Davo I reckon will feature as a squad player, maybe signed as a pt player as he likes caddying at St A's, I'd think there's another CB or two coming.

Bene, I'm happy with that signing but I'd still like to see another CB signed as well.

Matthews, thank god!

Anderson, thought he'd be allowed to go but a decent squad filler and won't be costing the earth.

Armstrong, didn't do as well in his second spell, here's hoping he takes the Championship by storm.

Sign McKay as one of our centre backs, a seasoned rightback  and Miller as bench filler and I'll be happy with the defence.

McGurn I get, he's basically part of the coaching staff, and if he ever does get the management gig he might resist the Cuthbertian urge to play our top goal scorer at Right Wing Back.

Happy with Benedictus, Matthews and Armstrong. Bene at his best can cope fine with the championship, Matthews was brilliant in that 3 man midfield, especially in the advanced pressing role and Armstrong showed enough in terms of his creativity, passing range, speed and dead ball ability to be worth keeping around.

Thomson, bog standard, McGlynn is generally terrible at picking keepers though, so average is a stretch goal in that department.

I thought Davo was excellent, particularly latter season. Perhaps I'm biased because we all expected him to go start of last year, and like Anderson you can point to a lack of pace. Sure, he is a decent enough ball player for a CH, but still not great at tracking a man at corners and free kicks either.

Anderson, I take Paco's point about his graft and commitment and I take Hank's point about trusting McGlynn, but he was a guy who couldn't get into our strongest side in league 1. 

Personally I thought we'd be running a smaller squad for the shorter season. I'm worried that we won't upgrade our CH options and I'm worried that he feels he has space for a guy who couldn't get in the side a league below.

Edited by renton

44 minutes ago, renton said:

The same Grant Anderson who barely figured after Christmas? 

I mean, I thought he produced a welcome chaos factor for defenders to deal with at the start, but he was not involved in our strongest sides.

What the f**k are we doing? We just going with the exact same side + whatever kid Hibs are willing to loan us up top?

What did happen with Anderson? Was he injured? He was great for us playing up front at the start of the season. Was it about October he started featuring less?

What did happen with Anderson? Was he injured? He was great for us playing up front at the start of the season. Was it about October he started featuring less?
He popped his shoulder in the wafer Cup and then slowly seen his game time get less and less from there. He does offer us something different but I think l1 is most likely his level nowadays.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Baird came in, Gullan came in, Armstrong came in, Dingwall got fit, then MacLean came in. Just got shunted down the pecking order. Still "useful" when he did appear for all the reasons Paco outlined, but very much a league 1 squad filler.

43 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Davo and Anderson are just furloughed to October right? RIGHT?! 

If Dingwall gets announced at 7 then everything can f**k off forever. 

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I probably wouldn't have kept Anderson, much as I agin like him, but I'd take him over Dingwall. 

I quite like Dingwall. Great wee lad for winning free kicks. A strong Rovers side always needs someone with a funny running style. Whether it’s Stuart Romaines, Brian Fairbairn, or now Tony Dingwall. Which others have we had with mental running styles. It’s like Monty Python down at the San Starko.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I quite like Dingwall. Great wee lad for winning free kicks. A strong Rovers side always needs someone with a funny running style. Whether it’s Stuart Romaines, Brian Fairbairn, or now Tony Dingwall. Which others have we had with mental running styles. It’s like Monty Python down at the San Starko.

Mark Stewart of course