The New Raith Rovers Thread

Pleased with Thomson, Bene, Matthew's and Armstrong. If budgets are tight then no room for McGurn ad much as I like him, he is past it and struggles with injuries and Davidson no thanks. Hasn't got the legs anymore and his temperament is shocking and probably even worse now that it was 10 years ago. 

You’d think Davo was on a grand a week. On the ball he’s our best defender. Like every defender we’ve had since Locke he’s had his share of dodgy moments, but get behind him and the rest of the team!!! Please remember him and Bene were the second best defensive duo in Scotland during Barry Smith’s first season, only conceding more than Celtic for christ’s sake.

10 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Pleased with Thomson, Bene, Matthew's and Armstrong. If budgets are tight then no room for McGurn ad much as I like him, he is past it and struggles with injuries and Davidson no thanks. Hasn't got the legs anymore and his temperament is shocking and probably even worse now that it was 10 years ago. 

He’s the gk coach and he’s part time.

1 minute ago, michaeljohnstone said:

You’d think Davo was on a grand a week. On the ball he’s our best defender. Like every defender we’ve had since Locke he’s had his share of dodgy moments, but get behind him and the rest of the team!!! Please remember him and Bene were the second best defensive duo in Scotland during Barry Smith’s first season, only conceding more than Celtic for christ’s sake.

That's the power of fear as a motivator. If they conceded a goal, Barry Smith might try and coach them, and bore them to death.

Just now, RaithRover123 said:

He’s the gk coach and he’s part time.

I know that but hes got a dodgy shoulder. If money is tight then we need to prioritise and Thomson runs a goalkeeper academy so I'm sure he could assist coaching the younger keeper. In terms of Davidson being the best defender with the ball at his feet, sorry but no. Both fullbacks are better. Davidson's usual pass is a hook over his shoulder or a punt up the park. I just hope that we have plans to sign a central defender and Davidson is 3rd or 4th choice. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

This ultimately depends on whether McGlynn wants to bring in another' keeper. I would say we are now done in this department. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Only if we are now done and the young GK we have is deemed second choice. 

Don't agree there. We have a potential starter, a modern apprentice and an emergency keeper/coach. Still room for one more, as we'd want a keepers coach anyway (pays for McGurn), you need a young goalie to develop (Bow), and probably need two possible starters (Thomson and ???). McGurn in the dual role is an excellent use of funds and Bow is cheap insurance for the future. Given our recent keeper woes, three and a bit keepers doesn't bother me a bit.

That being said, these are JMcG's planned signings from the previous team, and aren't really a surprise. I'm waiting for the first "interesting" one.

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Don't agree there. We have a potential starter, a modern apprentice and an emergency keeper/coach. Still room for one more, as we'd want a keepers coach anyway (pays for McGurn), you need a young goalie to develop (Bow), and probably need two possible starters (Thomson and ???). McGurn in the dual role is an excellent use of funds and Bow is cheap insurance for the future. Given our recent keeper woes, three and a bit keepers doesn't bother me a bit.

That being said, these are JMcG's planned signings from the previous team, and aren't really a surprise. I'm waiting for the first "interesting" one.

Four 'keepers is excessive, I'd say. Don't get me wrong, we'll end up with four when Thomson or McGurn inevitably get injured, but we can deal with that at the time. 

As I see it (currently), we have one space for a CB and need three strikers. One space on the wing at least too. There are other gaps too but those are the immediate areas that spring to mind. Wouldn't be wasting money on another 'keeper at this stage. 

I know that but hes got a dodgy shoulder. If money is tight then we need to prioritise and Thomson runs a goalkeeper academy so I'm sure he could assist coaching the younger keeper. In terms of Davidson being the best defender with the ball at his feet, sorry but no. Both fullbacks are better. Davidson's usual pass is a hook over his shoulder or a punt up the park. I just hope that we have plans to sign a central defender and Davidson is 3rd or 4th choice. 
Thomson runs a football academy. He has done some coaching for all roles with it. I haven't seen bow play but I'd far rather have mcgurn who has plenty of experience and the defence can trust/ rely on if the other team gets passed them than an untested youth 'keeper.

The same Grant Anderson who barely figured after Christmas? 

I mean, I thought he produced a welcome chaos factor for defenders to deal with at the start, but he was not involved in our strongest sides.

What the f**k are we doing? We just going with the exact same side + whatever kid Hibs are willing to loan us up top?

Edited by renton