The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, DanElderRRFC said:

‪Five games into the 04/05 season, Claude Anelka’s Raith side were still looking for their first win following a 2-1 defeat by Ross County.‬

After trailing at half time, Falkirk blew Rovers away with four second half goals from Darryl Duffy and Andy Thomson.

‪After picking up only 1 point from 8 games, angry Raith Rovers fans gathered outside Stark’s Park to demand the removal of manager Claude Anelka.‬

Did any of the players from that season go on to have good careers with the Rovers? The guy upfront Sakho looked handy. 

9 hours ago, DanElderRRFC said:

‪Five games into the 04/05 season, Claude Anelka’s Raith side were still looking for their first win following a 2-1 defeat by Ross County.‬

After trailing at half time, Falkirk blew Rovers away with four second half goals from Darryl Duffy and Andy Thomson.

‪After picking up only 1 point from 8 games, angry Raith Rovers fans gathered outside Stark’s Park to demand the removal of manager Claude Anelka.‬

The aftermath that followed.😂😂

ROVER 'N' OUT FOR DJ GORDY; Club fire announcer

Byline: By Jack Mathieson 

RAITH ROVERS' stadium announcer says he was sacked - after slagging them off with his playlist. DJ Gordon Adamson played Leave Right Now when Division One's bottom dogs lost again on Saturday. 

The volunteer put on the Will Young song as the Fife club's fans called for the head of boss Claude Anelka. 

Then he slapped on Trouble by Pink as he saw directors react with fury. 

The maintenance worker said: 'I was told my role had been terminated.' 

Anelka took over as the Kirkcaldy club's director of football in May. On Saturday, his managerless side lost 2-1 to Queen of the South - their ninth defeat this season. 

Gordon, of Dalgety Bay, insisted humour was a key part of the job. 

He said: 'Last season, when things were going badly, I got stick for playing Status Quo's Down Down. 

'I play I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester when certain teams visit. But maybe I let my heart rule my head on Saturday.' 

Club secretary Eric Drysdale denied Gordon had been axed. He said: 'A director was upset with him but that's as far as it went. There's no question of him being sacked. 

'I have been trying to contact him all day to clear up any misunderstanding.' 

PLAY LIST1. Closest Thing to Crazy Katie Melua2. Leave Right Now Will Young 3. Trouble Pink

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Did any of the players from that season go on to have good careers with the Rovers? The guy upfront Sakho looked handy. 

With Raith? Only Davidson, like dan says. Not quite sure how he ended up being signed at the same time - don't know if that was anything to do with Anelka or if he was one of the ones like Joe McAlpine who'd already been lined up by the board.

One or two of the others weren't quite as terrible as that whole circus made them look and went on to have decent enough careers elsewhere - Tomas Hajovksy I think did okay and may have played in the Champions League with some Slovakian side or other. Wes Daly I saw playing for AFC WImbledon a couple of years later, where he looked excellent, and had a solid enough career as an English non-league journeyman. Otherwise I think they all sank without trace.

Moussa Outtarra was a decent player, I thought. I remember thinking he'd actually made it quite big when I saw his name appear again somewhere, but it turned out that he has a namesake and it wasn't him. 

To be honest I've no idea where the rest of them ended up. One of them famously pleaded with Gordon Dalziel to stay on as a handyman. 

26 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Moussa Outtarra was a decent player, I thought. I remember thinking he'd actually made it quite big when I saw his name appear again somewhere, but it turned out that he has a namesake and it wasn't him. 

To be honest I've no idea where the rest of them ended up. One of them famously pleaded with Gordon Dalziel to stay on as a handyman. 

Yeah I've always thought Outtara could have held his own at that level. I remember being slightly disappointed that we didn't keep him on. 

Sacko was probably no worse than the likes of Ivan Mballa who we had a couple of years earlier and he had a bit of pace about him. With a lot of work he might have turned into a halfway decent player but Outtara was definitely the best. 

Jules Tchimbakala had a decent pedigree having played in Ligue 1 for a good few seasons, albeit some time before he washed up at Stark’s Park. I can’t remember if we even saw him play though? I think he was injured his whole time at the Rovers.

17 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Jules Tchimbakala had a decent pedigree having played in Ligue 1 for a good few seasons, albeit some time before he washed up at Stark’s Park. I can’t remember if we even saw him play though? I think he was injured his whole time at the Rovers.

Seemed to keep breaking various limbs...

Really need this tribunal shite to be over with so we can get on with stressing about where the hell we are gonna find strikers from. McGlynn didn't seem particularly up beat on that issue in the last bulletin.

13 minutes ago, renton said:

Really need this tribunal shite to be over with so we can get on with stressing about where the hell we are gonna find strikers from. McGlynn didn't seem particularly up beat on that issue in the last bulletin.

I wouldn't worry. You will be a Championship club next season.

15 minutes ago, third lanark said:

How did Raith Rovers manage to get rid of Anelka in the end, as well as Manager was he not a share holder or something at the time?  Think you guys were the only reason we did not finish bottom that season

IIRC he fucked off leaving about £125K as a leaving gift.

17 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Yeah, I think based on his similar travails at other clubs that while he is delusional and stupid, he isn't actually actively malicious. Also completely pea hearted so when the going got tough, he got out of dodge.

34 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

I wouldn't worry. You will be a Championship club next season.

The board won’t take any chances financially, even if we are in the Championship the legal costs are having an unwanted impact on the playing budget. The simple fact is I don’t think John McG has been given a a budget to act on.

30 minutes ago, third lanark said:

How did Raith Rovers manage to get rid of Anelka in the end, as well as Manager was he not a share holder or something at the time?  Think you guys were the only reason we did not finish bottom that season

13 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

What Zen said, he was exposed as a Complete footballing fraud and eventually persuaded by everyone who knew him to slip quietly away or in our case simply to GTF! I remember handing out black balloons to release before the QotS game and had my pic in the goals section of the Monday Sun stand in in a near empty section of the south stand remonstrating with Anelka and the board.

I remember being at a player sponsor event the day the news came out about Anelka taking over, and Toni Calderon was pretty devastated about the whole thing from memory.  

Also remember not recognising a single player at the first pre season game, a 3-3 draw away to Huntly.  I'm pretty sure we tried to sign A.N Other Highland League jobber who scored 3 against us?

I had heard rumblings of an investor and recall it coming out pretty late on a weekday night who it was and that Calderón would be leaving. 

I had a paper round at the time and went in the next morning to find Claude Anelka all over the back pages boasting about how he'd make us Scotland's third force. It was at this point where the feeling of doom set in albeit that the reality turned out to be far worse than what I thought would happen (namely that we'd maybe plod along and not really improve). 

Thank f**k social media wasn't really a thing in those days.