The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Paco said:

£50k for a couple of days in court is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Standard. You should see the hourly rates for even junior associate lawyers...

The Counsel's opinion that Partick got prior to all of this probably would've cost £25-30k if obtained on a commercial basis (I'm assuming they got it at a knockdown or pro bono as a favour) and it said very little.

Legal representation is very, very costly unfortunately. 

I am not sure we need to be backing up the SPFL in arbitration, though. 

Edited by Michael W

Think this is the time when the Rovers board should be clarifying the current situation because I’ve done enough regarding crowd funding Nearly £ 500 to date  , Not including donations to the following  donating a ticket , development fund , buying new home strip , buying season ticket when launched Now they are thinking about another crowdfund ? Scottish football a total shambles from top to bottom why couldn’t everyone just agree to no relegation and promotion instead of Scottish football being involved in civil war

Think this is the time when the Rovers board should be clarifying the current situation because I’ve done enough regarding crowd funding Nearly £ 500 to date  , Not including donations to the following  donating a ticket , development fund , buying new home strip , buying season ticket when launched Now they are thinking about another crowdfund ? Scottish football a total shambles from top to bottom why couldn’t everyone just agree to no relegation and promotion instead of Scottish football being involved in civil war

Why should we lose out after a successful campaign? Our finances would be even more fucked if we had to play another season in league 1, especially after everything that's happened and could happen with covid.

I still don’t get why the three teams have to defend this action for what is a decision that  was made by the SPFL. And not the three clubs. Why is it not them that Is taken to court to defend it - and pay the bill. 🤔

Just now, spot on said:

I still don’t get why the three teams have to defend this action for what is a decision that  was made by the SPFL. And not the three clubs. Why is it not them that Is taken to court to defend it - and pay the bill. 🤔

They are.

The point is that while there is a broad overlap in what would be deemed acceptable outcomes by both the SPFL and the three clubs, there is still divergence: take a worst case scenario where the outcome looks like a choice between the SPFL paying a seven figure sum to Hearts or punting Raith back down to league 1. Clearly, while the SPFL is keen to vindicate its own procedures and ensure the league format as has been voted on, it would reverse course pretty sharpish if the alternative looked like a hefty compensation sum.

For the three clubs on the other hand, the only thing that matters is playing in the leagues that they feel is their due (for greater, or lesser conviction) Thanks to what ended up being final placings due to the league ending. That just means there is enough divergence between the two positions for the three clubs to perhaps insist on making their case.

FWIW, I dearly hope we are finding s way of budgeting for these extra curricular activities and finding a way to stay competitive. I dont see how we cant, and would appreciate some clarity from the board if possible. I get that every little helps, so why not crowdfund - yet I think that United statement was paying it on thick.

Twitter of course is full of Hearts fans already celebrating our demise, backed up by Rangers fans who clearly still have it in for us after 2012. You know, for such a wee club, we do manage to make a fair amount of waves...

It doesn’t sit well that we want another crowdfunder because we’ve spunked the previous crowdfunder money on some fucking lawyers. I’ll probably still chip in, but it doesn’t sit well with me.

41 minutes ago, renton said:

The point is that while there is a broad overlap in what would be deemed acceptable outcomes by both the SPFL and the three clubs, there is still divergence: take a worst case scenario where the outcome looks like a choice between the SPFL paying a seven figure sum to Hearts or punting Raith back down to league 1. Clearly, while the SPFL is keen to vindicate its own procedures and ensure the league format as has been voted on, it would reverse course pretty sharpish if the alternative looked like a hefty compensation sum.

For the three clubs on the other hand, the only thing that matters is playing in the leagues that they feel is their due (for greater, or lesser conviction) Thanks to what ended up being final placings due to the league ending. That just means there is enough divergence between the two positions for the three clubs to perhaps insist on making their case.

Yes. Path of least resistance, innit. You'll get a different outcome if all the pressure and the worst-case-scenario risk is coming from just one side of the interested parties.

8 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Legal Counsel who has wracked up £50k  bill suggests keeping legal counsel is good idea.

f**k that, time to leave it IMHO.

That would be my take on it too.

The bit about Hearts and Partick being awarded significant sums in terms of compensation. If the Consequences are catastrophic, presumably this means the league doesn’t have the money to pay and goes bust?

EF1FE4B2-38A0-445F-982E-190E1B6AF001.thumb.png.7f334877c219d60d49b04456cd5ba5c9.png

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The bit about Hearts and Partick being awarded significant sums in terms of compensation. If the Consequences are catastrophic, presumably this means the league doesn’t have the money to pay and goes bust?

EF1FE4B2-38A0-445F-982E-190E1B6AF001.thumb.png.7f334877c219d60d49b04456cd5ba5c9.png

Well, I think we can agree that all three statements lay it on thick as f**k. Cant imagine crowdfunding getting into 4 figures from other sides fans tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Is it not the member clubs who have to cover the cost of any compensation award?   Sure that's what Neil Doncaster was saying on Sky Sports earlier, so I'm assuming it's more that if Hearts/Partick get a hefty compensation amount then it's going to end up killing off a load of clubs as they try and pay their share.  Which in turn screws up most of the leagues as clubs go bust and probably ends up having an impact on the Sky deal if you lose clubs from the Premiership.

Whole situation is a mess tbh. 

Budge always threatened legal action, and it was always going to happen after the reconstruction didn't. Aware the club will have their reasons for not going for it, but being supporters of reconstruction then changing our stance after the leagues were called does not look good, in my opinion. Now, Hearts and Partick were absolutely fucking awful and would have likely got relegated, but if reconstruction had happened we would be talking about and planning for football. If we end up in League 1 after publically declaring we didn't vote for reconstruction, we will look very stupid indeed.  At the end of the day we acted in self interest, and in the grand scheme of things our vote would have done little, but we can have little complaints if Hearts and Partick win their case. They are acting in self interest to the potential detriment of others, like we did. 

Also don't really like any idea of crowdfunding. We've taken over 100k from fans during an absolutely awful time, really tough to ask for more. And would I f**k give any money to another club in a similar position.

Edited by CALDERON

14 minutes ago, renton said:

Well, I think we can agree that all three statements lay it on thick as f**k. Cant imagine crowdfunding getting into 4 figures from other sides fans tbh. 

And theres many Rovers supporters whos pockets are empty or near as damn it

4 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

Is it not the member clubs who have to cover the cost of any compensation award?   Sure that's what Neil Doncaster was saying on Sky Sports earlier, so I'm assuming it's more that if Hearts/Partick get a hefty compensation amount then it's going to end up killing off a load of clubs as they try and pay their share.  Which in turn screws up most of the leagues as clubs go bust and probably ends up having an impact on the Sky deal if you lose clubs from the Premiership.

Thats my understanding.Any compo comes out the The SPFL pot

29 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You can get fucked tbh. 

Whole situation is a mess tbh. 
Budge always threatened legal action, and it was always going to happen after the reconstruction didn't. Aware the club will have their reasons for not going for it, but being supporters of reconstruction then changing our stance after the leagues were called does not look good, in my opinion. Now, Hearts and Partick were absolutely fucking awful and would have likely got relegated, but if reconstruction had happened we would be talking about and planning for football. If we end up in League 1 after publically declaring we didn't vote for reconstruction, we will look very stupid indeed.  At the end of the day we acted in self interest, and in the grand scheme of things our vote would have done little, but we can have little complaints if Hearts and Partick win their case. They are acting in self interest to the potential detriment of others, like we did. 
Also don't really like any idea of crowdfunding. We've taken over 100k from fans during an absolutely awful time, really tough to ask for more. 

Good post but not sure you can say Thistle would likely have got relegated. We can all say both them and Hearts were absolutely awful (they were) but so were eg Queen of the South who were only one point ahead having played a game more and having lost a game more. I know you know this but suggesting they were likely to go down anyway misses the point of their argument.