The New Raith Rovers Thread

On the opening day of the 99/00 season, John McVeigh’s Raith earned a point at Almondvale thanks to a Paul Tosh header.

Raith Rovers gave a lesson on how not to defend as St. Mirren scored six at Stark’s Park.

Despite being two goals down with just 15 minutes left, Raith forced extra time in this League Cup 2nd round tie with Motherwell before the Premier League side eventually won on penalties.

That second clip reminds me that we went to Almondvale (beat them 1-0) thinking we would scoosh the league. Heard the result and thought holy f**k. Think we got too big for our boots that season and lost out on the league to St Mirren (the 2 latter derbies in the season probably put paid to that - the "millennium" derby, and the game at EEP later in the season when Dargo scored a screamer!)

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Good luck to Nisbet. Had a great couple of seasons and deserves a move.

Not really fussed about the money part. The main thing was getting out that league. 

In all honesty, the blow is softened by the fact Nisbet meant we were dealt a hand that involved giving Kieron Bowie. At this point last year, nobody could've foreseen that Ziggy would've been such a huge success. Very few, if any, punters tipped him to get us goals the following season (not least the Montrose punters from the last day of last season who hounded him after missing a one on one).  Should Bowie impress go on to make a success of his time at Fulham, then we've agreed a deal which helps us moving forward. That's a huge if though. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

That second clip reminds me that we went to Almondvale (beat them 1-0) thinking we would scoosh the league. Heard the result and thought holy f**k. Think we got too big for our boots that season and lost out on the league to St Mirren (the 2 latter derbies in the season probably put paid to that - the "millennium" derby, and the game at EEP later in the season when Dargo scored a screamer!)

Opening day we pumped Inverness 4-0. Could have been 6. 

We definitely got complacent.

Would like to forget the derby games please!

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Opening day we pumped Inverness 4-0. Could have been 6. 

We definitely got complacent.

Would like to forget the derby games please!

That was my first ever game. 

Despite it being a promotion season, no one ever seems to hark back to the 99/00 season as being a great one. Ive got both the strips from that season and I love watching any footage from if tbh. 

I don't think my Dad took me to any of the Fife Derby's that year, or the Falkirk games. 

I'm sure my first Fife Derby was a league Cup game which we won, then the week later or so we played in the league and lost in about 2009.

8 hours ago, DanElderRRFC said:

Raith Rovers gave a lesson on how not to defend as St. Mirren scored six at Stark’s Park.

Hardly a proper goal amongst them - we had the second last touch on four of them and the other two were free headers from set pieces. Would almost have been easier to take if they'd actually outplayed us.

Still the heaviest defeat I've seen, the only tiny bit of relief being that they didn't get the seven they needed to make amends for '92.

Hardly a proper goal amongst them - we had the second last touch on four of them and the other two were free headers from set pieces. Would almost have been easier to take if they'd actually outplayed us.
Still the heaviest defeat I've seen, the only tiny bit of relief being that they didn't get the seven they needed to make amends for '92.

Seeing how lost Marv used to look makes me think that maybe there’s hope for big Nando yet.

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

Only regret that day was not hitting the 7 . . . . . 

Great, but expected news, that only around 20 people requested a refund on their season tickets.

Absolute zero issue with people asking for a refund, but it's good that the club has avoided a big hit here.

3 hours ago, kev23 said:

Great, but expected news, that only around 20 people requested a refund on their season tickets.

Absolute zero issue with people asking for a refund, but it's good that the club has avoided a big hit here.

And surely because so many people didn't ask for it back, and as such it can be classed as a donation with no Vat, the club won't actually lose money per se? The amount they'll save on Vat will surpass the refunds they have to give out. 

Agreed that no one asking for a refund can be judged.