The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’ve said it a few times and i’ll say it again, Thomson is a good back-up but i’d like us to go for Kieran Wright. He was great with us last time, had a good relationship with the club, played in the championship last year and I believe he’s just been released by Rangers.

He’s always confused me. He’s always been built up to me as the lower league Neuer, but he’s always been average when I’ve seen him play.

He was instrumental in the Forfar team that finished above us the season before last. Ok last season wasn’t a good barometer. They lost a few players and struggled. Every time I saw him he always played a blinder against us.

Is there beef with McCallum and Rovers fans? I’d take a punt on Darren Jamieson.

Think he’s taken a bit of stick, like several opposition keepers, but not aware of any actual beef?

He was giving it big licks at the last game in Forfar, took some back when Rovers equalised and then sprayed his water bottle in the crowd.  Think he claimed he was grogged on but nobody else seems to have seen it.

Anyway, he's a decent keeper, but I can't remember him keeping a clean sheet against us.  Has had a few cracking saves but I think we will need better than good League 1 keeper for the coming season.

Please do not being Munro back. We are unlikely to get a 'keeper on loan unless we're actually going to play him, and I can't be bothered with a flapper chucking away goals. 

Kieran Wright I wouldn't object to. Was happy enough with him in his time. 

It's a difficult one, this. Money will be very tight and we are going to need to proceed carefully. 

Doing another free replay this weekend, it is going to be the Stranraer game from November. It has some good goals in the game but it also is the game where Gregory Tade was our guest commentator in the booth. It'll be on the RaithTV YouTube channel at 3pm on Saturday.

I think financially a half season would have been far more prudent - and may have been possible without Hearts...

With a 3/4 season likely, there are several things I think the club/ McGlynn will need to do:

1) Have significantly less players (with no challenge cup, league cup and 9 fewer league games - say 15-16 in total -  this should be manageable)

2) Have players that are versatile

3) Have players with good injury records

4) Make use of the loan market

5) Have more P/T players than we may have otherwise had in normal circumstances

6) Bonus - Attempt to get donations from rich people!

5 hours ago, Beachbum said:

McCallum is under contract at Forfar until May 2022.

Which is where the shutdown could advantage us. Let’s say the Championship opens in October, but Leagues One and Two hibernate. Is Forfar going to pay McCallum for the closed season, or will the majority of those teams release the contracts under the force majure provisions? Or, if Raith approach Forfar offering to take his contract in August or September, how does the Forfar board look at that? This kind of decision is going to need to be made all over Scottish football.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

Please do not being Munro back. We are unlikely to get a 'keeper on loan unless we're actually going to play him, and I can't be bothered with a flapper chucking away goals. 

Kieran Wright I wouldn't object to. Was happy enough with him in his time. 

It's a difficult one, this. Money will be very tight and we are going to need to proceed carefully. 

Munro is not under contract to anyone that I can find. Contract expired 31/5/2020, I’ve not seen a new signing by Ross Co.

1 minute ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Regardless of whether he’s under contract or not, his point still stands. He isn’t good enough for us in the championship next season.

I’m of the opinion that he might be a good developmental backup for us, we disagree. He showed good range and distribution, he plays well within JMcG’s system, his weakness is known...which is a plus for us to focus on and a minus for other teams to try to exploit. Again, he’s a kid, and we need to be building on a somewhat younger team than before since we don’t have a developmental squad anymore.

I’ve said it a few times and i’ll say it again, Thomson is a good back-up but i’d like us to go for Kieran Wright. He was great with us last time, had a good relationship with the club, played in the championship last year and I believe he’s just been released by Rangers.

Under contract until next summer, signed an extension last season. But yes, he was excellent the little period he was with us.

Under contract until next summer, signed an extension last season. But yes, he was excellent the little period he was with us.

Certainly a good loan option then with Thomson as back up. Rated him highly when he was with us and can only imagine he’s improved. Would be interesting to hear what Alloa fans think of his short spell there.

18 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Found this in the attic, throw back to some shocking players, but a decent top

All Money to the Rovers 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184324265903

Struggling to make out any of the names, but that's probably just as well. I think I'd disguise my signature too if I'd been part of that team.

7 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Colin Leiper, Neil Jablonski, Chris McLeod, Emilio Jaconelli, Stuart Hall

total horror show

Jaconelli, I'd forgotten all about him. He was so bad you'd have thought Anelka signed him. 

I think I can make out Mark Crilly's signature, and possibly Davo's as well.