The New Raith Rovers Thread

I was looking through our squad list on the website. It'll be interesting to see who we keep on for next season as a large portion of our squad appears to be out of contract in July. At present, we have the following under contract for the 20/21 season:

Goalkeepers:

Kyle Bow (2022)

Defenders:

Kieran MacDonald (2021)

Fernandy Mendy (2021)

Midfielders:

Quinn Coulson (2022)

Regan Hendry (2021)

Brad Spencer (2021)

Dylan Tait (2022)

Strikers:

Jack Smith (2021)

Lewis Vaughan (2021)

Release all the keepers. None are good enough for this level. Bene is a must stay. Been here 5 seasons now and is finally back to his best after a season of mediocrity. Davidson has also been here for the past 5 seasons, as well as the 8 or so beforehand, so I’d like him to stick around as some experience for younger boys. Miller and McKay I’m still not sure on. I rate Miller highly but with his injury history I’m not sure if McGlynn will carry him up to the Championship. McKay is a great CB, but a useless (attacking) RB, and our fullbacks provide most of the width with our attack.
Matthews will definitely be offered something, but I’m sure there will be a few teams interested. Victoria and Allan are obviously away, and good luck to them. No clue on Grant Anderson, but if this is it, then farewell. I can’t imagine Dingwall sticking around, but he would be a handy backup.
If we can bring in a commanding centre-back (Paul Watson perhaps?) or Mendy turns into a prime Maldini, and we bring in a decent right-back and a backup left-back, the defence would be sorted. We need another striker to partner with Vaughan (Gullan?) and a decent backup and we have a very good squad.

1 hour ago, ListerRRFC said:

I was looking through our squad list on the website. It'll be interesting to see who we keep on for next season as a large portion of our squad appears to be out of contract in July. At present, we have the following under contract for the 20/21 season:

Goalkeepers:

Kyle Bow (2022)

Defenders:

Kieran MacDonald (2021)

Fernandy Mendy (2021)

Midfielders:

Quinn Coulson (2022)

Regan Hendry (2021)

Brad Spencer (2021)

Dylan Tait (2022)

Strikers:

Jack Smith (2021)

Lewis Vaughan (2021)

Predict we’ll keep: Thomson, McKay, Bene, Davo, Matthews and Armstrong. Maybe Dingwall?

I'd keep Thomson as long as we sign a keeper to compete against him. Jamie McDonald maybe. 

I'd get rid of Davo will struggle this season and will be sent off many times. We do need a commanding centre half. Our centre halfs rarely threaten the opposition at set pieces. Anderson would be a good addition with someone like Gary McKenzie who has been released by St Mirren. From defence I would probably come to a deal to also release Mendy.

Midfield I would release Dingwall hasn't shown enough, Anderson not good enough for the Championship and keep the rest. We need a left sided midfielder to provide balance. Up front is the biggest task. With Baird, Bowie and Allen away we need at least 3 strikers as we  cant count on Vaughan returning and not breaking again. Jordan White may be an option released by ICT target man to provide another option. 

35 minutes ago, michaeljohnstone said:

Thomson 🤨

As raith1974 says, I’d love him in competition with another keeper. I wouldn’t be totally adverse to seeing Munro back, but only if he is competing for the job, not given it.

6 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'd keep Thomson as long as we sign a keeper to compete against him. Jamie McDonald maybe. 

I'd get rid of Davo will struggle this season and will be sent off many times. We do need a commanding centre half. Our centre halfs rarely threaten the opposition at set pieces. Anderson would be a good addition with someone like Gary McKenzie who has been released by St Mirren. From defence I would probably come to a deal to also release Mendy.

Midfield I would release Dingwall hasn't shown enough, Anderson not good enough for the Championship and keep the rest. We need a left sided midfielder to provide balance. Up front is the biggest task. With Baird, Bowie and Allen away we need at least 3 strikers as we  cant count on Vaughan returning and not breaking again. Jordan White may be an option released by ICT target man to provide another option. 

Thomson, competition, check

Davo, reserve/coach keep...starter, no

Mendy, we need to see what he learned

SAndo, 😍

Dingwall has something, is it enough?

Agree we need a little bit on the left...plus a couple of wingers would be nice.

Forwards, the cupboard is pretty bare.

As raith1974 says, I’d love him in competition with another keeper. I wouldn’t be totally adverse to seeing Munro back, but only if he is competing for the job, not given it.
We were lucky we had Thomson to come back in last season when munro dipped from his averagey performances. I'm happy enough to keep Thomson and hope he kicks on but he will need better than munro to challenge him for the no1 spot.

Before this midweek fixture against Hamilton, Raith director Willie Gray spoke to the media about the financial hardships facing the club.

Both sides were reduced to 10 men but it was Rovers who left Somerset Park with a victory, thanks to 2 rather fortunate goals.

‪An impressive first half display by Morton was enough to see them leave Kirkcaldy with all 3 points.‬

Thing is if the league doesn't start until October it leaves us (well all clubs really) in a bit of a position with players unless they are just having between now and then as the close season and a free for all in the transfer market.

Cash will be tight so versatility will be adventagous in signings either current or new ones.

32 minutes ago, grumswall said:
40 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We were lucky we had Thomson to come back in last season when munro dipped from his averagey performances. I'm happy enough to keep Thomson and hope he kicks on but he will need better than munro to challenge him for the no1 spot.

The open question there is will/has Munro learned from his difficulties with crosses? As I said, he wasn’t terrible for us, but he’s also still learning his trade. I think Thomson can do the job in the Championship, but I agree with suspicions that he wouldn’t be in the top five Championship keepers...initially. If there is a clear better choice for keeper, go for it and keep Thomson as the backup. Thomson is 27 and still has room to improve. As for Munro, he’s 20, And I think he has a massive amount of room for improvement into a pretty special goalie, which is why I wouldn’t mind him behind Thomson (if a better choice isn’t out there) or someone else if we changed horses.

The irony is with McGlynn & Smudger out of contract, they could essentially start work and be looking for players for the season. Where as if they were signed up, and on furlough they’re not allowed to work. Obviously I’m not that naive, but from a legal position it could be beneficial.

17th Oct is the proposed starting date, you would think the transfer market will be extended to the end of September rather than August for this season?

The previous windows closed after the season started, so it would seem more likely that the window would close at the end of October, and the Winter window would slide, perhaps as far as February, at least for the Championship. That way there are two somewhat equal periods of play after each window closes.

Part of the point of previously closing the window after three or four games is letting the teams adjust after some real play. While an October 31st closing would allow three games to be played, maybe something more like November 4th closure to allow some talking after the third game...then make the second window open Jan 13th and run till Feb 10th. That would mean three games played during first window, then ten games, then four games during the second window, and the final ten games.

The open question there is will/has Munro learned from his difficulties with crosses? As I said, he wasn’t terrible for us, but he’s also still learning his trade. I think Thomson can do the job in the Championship, but I agree with suspicions that he wouldn’t be in the top five Championship keepers...initially. If there is a clear better choice for keeper, go for it and keep Thomson as the backup. Thomson is 27 and still has room to improve. As for Munro, he’s 20, And I think he has a massive amount of room for improvement into a pretty special goalie, which is why I wouldn’t mind him behind Thomson (if a better choice isn’t out there) or someone else if we changed horses.

There is a better option. Marc McCallum. Better than both Thomson and Munro