The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Smith signed Buchanan and Spence, despite Vaughan being the better of the 3 he shoehorned him into a woefully deficient midfield rather than drop one of his signings. Classic mark of a manager that cant admit to a mistake.

I often wonder where we'd be if they'd given Jack Ross the job instead of Locke.

We'd have scored an Amazon series featuring lots of high quality booing. 

All in the past now tho. That alloa game at the end was really frustrating, but ultimately we didn’t really deserve to win the league, it was only Ayr doing their very best to f**k it for themselves in the last few games that actually gave us a chance. 

Glad we are back up where I feel we belong now. Hopefully keep the nucleus of the team for whenever the new season starts up again. I’m sure John and Paul will be able to attract the type of players who will hopefully push us even further. Any players who aren’t with clubs right now just need to watch Bairdy’s interview to get a glimpse of what they could come in to if offered a deal. 

What a club. 

Edited by Wardy

Smith signed Buchanan and Spence, despite Vaughan being the better of the 3 he shoehorned him into a woefully deficient midfield rather than drop one of his signings. Classic mark of a manager that cant admit to a mistake.

I often wonder where we'd be if they'd given Jack Ross the job instead of Locke.

Spence was dropped. He had 11 goals by January, was on a run of eight goals in 10 or 11 games and was then dropped for Furtado, and barely started a game after that.

He ended the season with a record of a goal every 170 odd minutes, which is pretty decent. If anything, Spence was a wee bit hard done by.

The midfield was a mess though. If we’d managed to keep hold of Callachan I think we’d have won the league fairly convincingly. John Herron wasn’t much of a replacement.

16 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Think the pivotal moments were 2 games for me failing to beat Brechin away when Ayr lost and getting pumped away to Forfar in our midweek game in hand a game I left 25 mins before the end total disgusting performance

Brechin weren't in the league that season and the game away to Forfar wasn't our game in hand. But it was a dreadful performance. 

Was it not that season that Vaughan scored in every game in the first couple of months despite playing out wide?

On 05/06/2020 at 16:12, Roath Raver said:

Here is a (socially distant) interview with John Baird. As it is an extended interview (53 minutes) we will also be putting it out as a podcast soon.

Good interview. I enjoyed that.

The leagues bottom two sides met at Easter Road as Raith came from behind to claim a point which kept their survival hopes alive.

Goals from Soren Andersen and Davie Kirkwood gave Rovers a midweek victory over Kilmarnock.

Raith Rovers dealt a blow to Celtic’s title hopes after scoring a late equaliser at Stark’s Park.

Mad that although the game was 23 years ago and I didn't go, that I knew straight away Di Canio scored late on only for David Craig to equalise. Can still remember my grandad talking about how he missed the goal as he left when Di Canio scored. 

Why can I remember stuff like this, and yet frequently forget things that are actually important? 😂

Edited by Michael W

3 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Spence was dropped. He had 11 goals by January, was on a run of eight goals in 10 or 11 games and was then dropped for Furtado, and barely started a game after that.

He ended the season with a record of a goal every 170 odd minutes, which is pretty decent. If anything, Spence was a wee bit hard done by.

The midfield was a mess though. If we’d managed to keep hold of Callachan I think we’d have won the league fairly convincingly. John Herron wasn’t much of a replacement.

Midfield would have been less of a mess had we signed a centre back, played Robertson there instead and allowed Vaughan to play up top.

The sale of Callachan and injury to Bene were the seeds of our failure to go up, however thanks to Ayr’s howling defending we were still given chances to win the league.