The New Raith Rovers Thread

Danny Lennon scored in injury time to give Raith Rovers the win against 10 man Kilmarnock.

Both sides missed good chances to win as Hearts and Raith played out a goalless draw at Tynecastle.

Danny Lennon scored a late penalty to rescue a point for Rovers against Aberdeen.

9 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It was incredible the number of goals we lost from individual errors that season. Stuff like Smith away to Albion Rovers.

I was watching the updates on holiday at Disney when he did that. 

Saddest I've ever been whilst taking a selfie with Goofy. 

28 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's a real shame that Baird didn't get the chance of a proper farewell. 

I've not watched the interview yet but I hope he gets the chance to come back for the half time draw at some point in the future. 

Can't imagine we'll keep Grant Anderson either which would be pretty brutal given the circumstances he left before (after the Championship playoffs left to wave goodbye warming up as a sub). 

For me this is a key factor in killing that season for us. Vaughan was on fire and scoring for fun. Hmmm says Baz, let’s see if he can play a holding midfield roll instead. I can’t remember why that happened.  I seem to recall we were short in midfield, but still. It’s not peculiar to Barry Smith. Ray McKinnon and loads of other Scottish managers seem to want to take this approach and put players in unfamiliar rolls. Not sure why. He could have been our Lawrence Shankland. In fact, he was our Lawrence Shankland.
Losing the league title on the last day of the season was horrible. Vaughan hitting the post in the 89th minute is one of those moments the fan base will always remember.
In summary: f**k Bazza Smith, the useless c**t.
It was less that we were short in midfield, more that we were short in defence after Benedictus got injured against Ayr. Scott Robertson dropped back into centre half and Vaughan dropped into his role.

14 minutes ago, Enigma said:

For me the defining moment of that season was us blowing our lead at Cliftonhill in the last minute with Jason Thompson giving away a needless penalty.

eab6a8cc326bc8b70d43524a972469de_w200.gif.d6b3e5cc06349d50dda07f22ced20ad7.gif

3 hours ago, Enigma said:

For me the defining moment of that season was us blowing our lead at Cliftonhill in the last minute with Jason Thompson giving away a needless penalty.

The defining moment was hitting the post in the 89th minute of the last game of the season.

I wonder what would have happened if we had got McGlynn back instead of giving the job to Barry Smith.

Smith signed Buchanan and Spence, despite Vaughan being the better of the 3 he shoehorned him into a woefully deficient midfield rather than drop one of his signings. Classic mark of a manager that cant admit to a mistake.

I often wonder where we'd be if they'd given Jack Ross the job instead of Locke.

Edited by Scottydog

23 hours ago, Roath Raver said:

Here is a (socially distant) interview with John Baird. As it is an extended interview (53 minutes) we will also be putting it out as a podcast soon.

So Shaun Dennis, Laurie Ellis, John Baird and maybe Marvin Andrews are named as the only players to have had three playing spells at Raith.

Am I wrong in thinking Jason Dair did so?

31 minutes ago, Yoss said:

So Shaun Dennis, Laurie Ellis, John Baird and maybe Marvin Andrews are named as the only players to have had three playing spells at Raith.

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Dair

Smith signed Buchanan and Spence, despite Vaughan being the better of the 3 he shoehorned him into a woefully deficient midfield rather than drop one of his signings. Classic mark of a manager that cant admit to a mistake.
I often wonder where we'd be if they'd given Jack Ross the job instead of Locke.

Hard to know. He could have easily been another McKinnon, taken us to the play offs then buggered off. I doubt he would have stuck around Stark’s Park any longer than he needed to.

The defining moment was hitting the post in the 89th minute of the last game of the season.
I wonder what would have happened if we had got McGlynn back instead of giving the job to Barry Smith.

I wonder more often what would have happened if we’d scored in the 89th minute and gone up as champions.

How long would we have had to put up with Smiths boring football in the championship?

7 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Hard to know. He could have easily been another McKinnon, taken us to the play offs then buggered off. I doubt he would have stuck around Stark’s Park any longer than he needed to.

True, but we would have been spared the Gary Locke experience.

I wonder more often what would have happened if we’d scored in the 89th minute and gone up as champions.

How long would we have had to put up with Smiths boring football in the championship?

He’d have been gone before Christmas.

Regan Hendry is in his third spell, albeit I’m not sure if we’re counting loan deals here.