The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Definitely one of my all time favourite Rovers games that. Brilliant night where I came away buzzing.

Off the top of my head, Munich away, Coca Cola Cup Final and Semi Final, Vaughan Hat-trick game against the Pars. I never made Dundee away in the cup, but evidently that was not one to miss either. Others?

What’s the best game you’ve seen at Starks?

What’s the best away game you’ve been at?

At Starks it’s tough, beating Dunfermline 6-0 on New Year’s Day, horsing East Fife 7-1 and the opening day humping of St Mirren 7-0 were great highlights

Away from home wins at Tannadice, Ibrox, Pittodrie, Fir Park, Easter Road and Tynecastle were great days.

What’s the best away game you’ve been at?

2-2 v Dunfermline was pretty good (if you ignore the first 80 mins)

Should have been 3-0 down.

Pars down to 10 men taking of one player and putting on two. Rovers bench going mental.

Pars fans singing “You’re just a wee team” as Alan Walker’s header loops over the goalie for a 97th minute equaliser.

Braw.

23 minutes ago, DanElderRRFC said:

Relive one of the most famous nights in Raith Rovers history with this full 90 minute replay of their UEFA Cup 2nd round tie against Bayern Munich at the Olympiastadion.

Would love that with the BBC Radio Scotland commentary.

47 minutes ago, pub car king said:

That 96/97 season was a fucking disaster, we lost all 4 derbies, got horsed by old rangers 6 - 0 at home and were pretty much a shambles.

Iain Munro was a piss poor appointment from the get go. If we had just sat for a few weeks following McLeans fucking off and got a decent manager which wouldn't have been hard things might be drastically different. 

we dod beat Dundee United twice and had a draw with Celtic which pretty much ended their title Hope's.

I’ve forgotten the Dunfermline thing. Last game was at Starks. Pishing rain and they were holding up A4 sheets with 4 in a row on them. Grim.

Harvey was playing for us in the last 0-1 defeat. Did that man ever kick a ball in anger for us? I’ve never been so disappointed in a player. For Airdrie he was outstanding but for us he never looked interested.

Edited by Scary Bear

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

That 96/97 season was a fucking disaster, we lost all 4 derbies, got horsed by old rangers 6 - 0 at home and were pretty much a shambles.

we dod beat Dundee United twice and had a draw with Celtic which pretty much ended their title Hope's.

I’m sure the rangers game was a Wednesday night 4 days after getting thumped by motherwell 6-0. Think that confirmed our relegation.

the celtic game? Did david craig not score the equaliser in that game?

celtic scored with 5 minutes to go or something, peter duffield just sank to the ground with his head in between his knees, then we went up and scored. 

19 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I’m sure the rangers game was a Wednesday night 4 days after getting thumped by motherwell 6-0. Think that confirmed our relegation.

the celtic game? Did david craig not score the equaliser in that game?

celtic scored with 5 minutes to go or something, peter duffield just sank to the ground with his head in between his knees, then we went up and scored. 

Motherwell beat us 5-0 our 5-1 and Munro was sacked in the car park. 

Then Rangers put 6 past us. I left before half time in that match. I had a season ticket for the railway stand back then and it was 80-90% away fans when we played the old firm. I couldn't stand watching any more of that. 

On the flip side, it was great for that Celtic match to be able to give a bit back to all the Celtic fans who had been celebrating 60 seconds earlier. I recall being warned by a steward for over celebrating when we drew 2-2 with Rangers that season because it could incite their fans sitting in our end. Absolute nonsense it was. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Then Rangers put 6 past us. I left before half time in that match. I had a season ticket for the railway stand back then and it was 80-90% away fans when we played the old firm. I couldn't stand watching any more of that. 

On the flip side, it was great for that Celtic match to be able to give a bit back to all the Celtic fans who had been celebrating 60 seconds earlier. I recall being warned by a steward for over celebrating when we drew 2-2 with Rangers that season because it could incite their fans sitting in our end. Absolute nonsense it was. 

I had a season ticket for the railway stand. Can’t remember the row or section, but was near the half way line. Got a good view of the game there. 

3 hours ago, Gregor147 said:

Pars down to 10 men taking of one player and putting on two. Rovers bench going mental.

Pars fans singing “You’re just a wee team” as Alan Walker’s header loops over the goalie for a 97th minute equaliser.

Braw.

What an atmosphere at that game!

I'm sure the Pars would have went top if they won. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I remember a bald Rangers supporter sitting in our end at that game. He wasn't trying to conceal his allegiance and got turfed out for his own good when Rovers supporters started slapping his bald napper. 

2 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I had a season ticket for the railway stand. Can’t remember the row or section, but was near the half way line. Got a good view of the game there. 

I was nearer the South end. Roughly in line with the 18 yard line. It was a great place to watch the match from but there were only a few season ticket holders in that area hence the bother when the ugly sisters came to town. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Good to read that Rovers are budgeting for an October start, in front of fans in Jan. Should mean we are playing in some kind of Championship. 

Strange as mentioned in the Courier a few days back that us and dunfermline muted that playing behind closed doors was no go financially as far as they were concerned

Just read the bulletin and its a John Sim out in Thailand thats saying we,re budgeting for an October start.

salt and pinch of

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Remember sitting up at the Dean Park when Munro was manager listening to him tell address the fans and telling us we would be the Pars. We never. Terrible appointment.
I for one am grateful his premonition never came to pass...

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, raith1974 said:
Remember sitting up at the Dean Park when Munro was manager listening to him tell address the fans and telling us we would be the Pars. We never. Terrible appointment.

I for one am grateful his premonition never came to pass...

Should have read beat the Pars certainly wouldn't want to  be the Pars. 😃

Braw.
Neil McGregor's 2nd last contribution in a Dunfermline shirt. His last being an injury time OG at pittodrie to put us out the cup. Talk about self sabotage.

12 hours ago, Scottydog said:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZwxrlkZWXIdtq9YxeBokdNwnNu67HFcsG8k

Here's what the man himself said in the above download on May 8th

"Hello everyone, I hope you're staying safe and well.

Despite the lockdown, rehab is going well. It's just over 5 months since the operation - anniversary was 5th May. It's going well, I'm back running and feeling fitter and stronger every day. I still have a bit to go but I'm past the worst parts and every day that goes by is a day closer to me being fully match fit."

I'll genuinely be amazed if he manages ten games in a row withiut breaking down, coming back from one ACL rupture is fairly impressive, with two on the same knee though? Hopefully someone is more ruthless in how they manage him in the future. 

9 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Good to read that Rovers are budgeting for an October start, in front of fans in Jan. Should mean we are playing in some kind of Championship. 

Where is this about? Fair fucks trying to budget for that, I've no idea how any club can budget for a season knowing they'll be without match day income for 3 months off it. 

44 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'll genuinely be amazed if he manages ten games in a row withiut breaking down, coming back from one ACL rupture is fairly impressive, with two on the same knee though? Hopefully someone is more ruthless in how they manage him in the future. 

Where is this about? Fair fucks trying to budget for that, I've no idea how any club can budget for a season knowing they'll be without match day income for 3 months off it. 

There's a weekly bulletin the Rovers are publishing at the moment, kind of like a match programme. 

My concern with starting in October and trying to make January is what do we think is going to have changed by January? There seems to be a belief that everything will magically be better by then simply because it’s a new year. We could be in the grip of a much worse second wave, we could have a vaccine, we really can’t be sure.

I wouldn’t want a situation where the club agree to limp through from October until January based on, effectively, a guess that we might be able to get some sort of crowd in by then. If we agree to start the season behind closed doors we need to be sure we’ll be able to finish it that way, if necessary.

31 minutes ago, Paco said:

My concern with starting in October and trying to make January is what do we think is going to have changed by January? There seems to be a belief that everything will magically be better by then simply because it’s a new year. We could be in the grip of a much worse second wave, we could have a vaccine, we really can’t be sure.

I wouldn’t want a situation where the club agree to limp through from October until January based on, effectively, a guess that we might be able to get some sort of crowd in by then. If we agree to start the season behind closed doors we need to be sure we’ll be able to finish it that way, if necessary.

It's an entirely valid concern, and being able to plan for the worst case scenario would be the best insurance but equally I dont think it's feasible to be able to budget for an entire season with no crowds and I dont think we can plan for no season at all either, which is the other extreme. We have to start sometime, under some conditions...