The New Raith Rovers Thread

Cheers - From memory did a young Carsten Jancker play ??

ps. Grant is even more aggressive than normal tonight lol.

I'm not sure if he did or not, my abiding memory of that game was the Germans standing in the railway stand, taps aff having a grand old time. Been working tonight and just home so will look out the program when I'm up and let you know.

Unless someone else could help out with that.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

I'm not sure if he did or not, my abiding memory of that game was the Germans standing in the railway stand, taps aff having a grand old time. Been working tonight and just home so will look out the program when I'm up and let you know.

Unless someone else could help out with that.

Cheers mate. Appreciate that.

I think many just see the reporting as a bit odd. Rangers, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock released players and nothing was said. We released players and the headline number was large (17 players) but it was essentially 3 first team regulars (Ashcroft, Paton, Devine), 3 more who have been in and out of the team (Scully, Beadling, Thomson), 3 who were put out on loan (Morrison, Smith, Ryan) and 8 youngsters.

There wasn't the same outcry when Queen of the South released everyone bar three contracted players. Dundee are getting plaudits for keeping on players on furlough who were out of contract but it is three players, not 17. When you are topping up the extra 20% on the salary that isn't covered, it adds up. The players weren't made redundant (which some companies are doing even with the GJRS) and while it is sad when anyone loses their job, and these are unique circumstances, it is the lot of a footballer. We have released similar numbers of players in the past few seasons and sadly it's the way of lower league football now that many players only want or accept 1 year deals.

Will it harm our chances of bringing in new players when the dust settles? I don't know. Players have been very complimentary about the fact that we cover the cost of things like player insurance and private healthcare which not every club does, and on-loan players have said that they enjoyed their time at the club and would like to make their moves permanent. So who knows?

The outcry isn’t that you released 1st team players. The outcry is you released players when you didn’t need to (at this point). Whether that’s happened in the same numbers in previous years doesn’t change that or the fact that clubs won’t be signing anyone any time soon (which is a key difference to past seasons).

14 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Cheers - From memory did a young Carsten Jancker play ??

That certainly rings a bell - big tall skin heid. 

The only regret was that Davie Sinclair had departed the Rovers by that point, as I'm sure he'd have given Jancker a hiding. 

My favourite memory of the first Bayern game at Easter Road was Sinky clattering into Oliver Kahn, and as Khan tried to get up to remonstrate, Sinky dumped him to the ground again. 

Don't mess with a Valleyfield boy! 

10 hours ago, renton said:

Honest question, what's the balance of opinion on not selling him in January when Hibs and United came calling? I guess the assumption was that he'd probably go for a decent amount in the Summer. Seems unlikely that anyone will have the money to cough up a lot now, and that at any rate if he did go its likely to be a buyers market once all the clubs are staring at a lot of red ink (dependent on when the season starts)

On the other hand, there is obviously the intrinsic  worth of keeping a guy with that goal scoring record, and indeed, not just the goals scored but his general creativity and hold up play, but I guess there wouldnt be any sleepless nights in Dunfermline had he gone for the 350K or whatever it was being quoted at the time.

Personally, glad we kept him. There was (according to those at the club) no offers made. As Grant has said, we'd have been utterly dug shite without him and possibly have slipped down as far as 9th. 

In the short run, the money would have been nice. In the long run, I don't think it would make a massive difference. I'm someone who would rather see us keep an entertaining player that contributes heavily to scoring goals and winning games, as opposed to seeing a few extra bob in the bank balance (until a certain point obviously). I mean if an English team had offered stupid money and over £1m with sell-on options then I'd have been raging if it was declined. But you know what I mean I hope. 

Just an off-chance, @DanElderRRFC - do you have anywhere the highlights of the 2009 2-0 win at East End that were originally posted on Raith's site? I know you've already got the Pars' highlights of the game on your channel, but it has a replay interruption which means it doesn't show Mcgurn's save to Casa's goal as a continuous piece of action; my recollection is that Raith's equivalent highlights did.

Was just looking at a similar breakaway goal from someone else on twitter and would love to have been able to post that one in turn. But, no worries obviously, and keep up the great work.

3 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

The outcry isn’t that you released 1st team players. The outcry is you released players when you didn’t need to (at this point). Whether that’s happened in the same numbers in previous years doesn’t change that or the fact that clubs won’t be signing anyone any time soon (which is a key difference to past seasons).

Literally every club who's released a player has technically released some they don't need too. 

That's Ross County today set out there releases, along with Dundee United, Kilmarnock and Rangers. None of them seem to be getting anywhere near the level of stick. 

3 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

I think they’ve released players in line with their stance that they don’t want to play any games in 2020.

I don’t know enough about the rules etc but I really feel for the 17 guys as it appears that more could have been done to them in the way of furlough etc.

The furlough scheme is very broad brush and is widely open to abuse - I don't doubt that it's being abused widely in some industries in fashions far more egregious, but less public, than anything that might happen in football. That doesn't mean that there couldn't be any comeback, and if Dunfermline decide it's what they need to do to protect themselves then I guess it's what they need to do and I'm not going to criticise them for it.

Myself, I'm not a lawyer but I have worked a bit in employment law. Not that that really helps because this legislation is, necessarily, untested. But I'd certainly be arguing that retaining players for furlough purposes is legitimate and within the spirit and intention of the scheme. The idea was to keep employees in employment, and you've got a very industry-specific situation here in which players are traditionally released - but many will then be signed up by someone else - within a specific time window. Since the latter part isn't happening and can't realistically happen at present, I'd say a strong case can be made to consider the situation across the industry as a whole rather than each club individually.

But, to stress once again, I'm not  lawyer and can't say how well that argument would fly.

34 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think they’ve released players in line with their stance that they don’t want to play any games in 2020.

Lol wut? 

Even before the courier article this morning, that's a mental take. 

I don’t know enough about the rules etc but I really feel for the 17 guys as it appears that more could have been done to them in the way of furlough etc.

Given my job i’ve got a good understanding as to what businesses can and can’t do and also what they’re actually doing. What we are doing is 100% allowed and is one of the reasons the scheme was set-up.
The only businesses that aren’t extending the contracts are those who haven’t until now been able to pay the staff up front until the HMRC payments were made.
I can only imagine thats why the pars have released the players but I’m surprised nobody at the club can’t afford to subsidise wages for a few weeks.

Anyway less about that mob, anyone seen or heard anything about the design of the new kits?

3 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Given my job i’ve got a good understanding as to what businesses can and can’t do and also what they’re actually doing. What we are doing is 100% allowed and is one of the reasons the scheme was set-up.
The only businesses that aren’t extending the contracts are those who haven’t until now been able to pay the staff up front until the HMRC payments were made.
I can only imagine thats why the pars have released the players but I’m surprised nobody at the club can’t afford to subsidise wages for a few weeks.

Anyway less about that mob, anyone seen or heard anything about the design of the new kits?

£60K raised in the last few weeks, 20k a month approx. lifeline money & every employee (except SC & that was only last week) on furlough. I fail to see how this is to do with paying of short term contracts. Maybe RM is just making all this shit up for a laugh?  

£60K raised in the last few weeks, 20k a month approx. lifeline money & every employee (except SC & that was only last week) on furlough. I fail to see how this is to do with paying of short term contracts. Maybe RM is just making all this shit up for a laugh?  

Well in that case theres no excuse for your club or other clubs that have chosen to release players unnecessarily.

Well in that case theres no excuse for your club or other clubs that have chosen to release players unnecessarily.
Apart from independent professional advice from two separate parties telling him that it might not be advisable?

Couldn’t really give a shit what Dunfermline do or don’t do, and whether we win a morality contest with them or not.
This just comes over like a petty OF whataboutery thread, and bringing up stuff from 10 years ago is cringeworthy.

Difficult times and big issues ahead and all clubs will try and plan their course the best they can, and good luck to them.

Couldn’t really give a shit what Dunfermline do or don’t do, and whether we win a morality contest with them or not.
This just comes over like a petty OF whataboutery thread, and bringing up stuff from 10 years ago is cringeworthy.
Difficult times and big issues ahead and all clubs will try and plan their course the best they can, and good luck to them.
Sense at last.

On this matter, I'll leave it at that. Really looking forward to derby days again, whenever that will be.

Just an off-chance, [mention=10485]DanElderRRFC[/mention] - do you have anywhere the highlights of the 2009 2-0 win at East End that were originally posted on Raith's site? I know you've already got the Pars' highlights of the game on your channel, but it has a replay interruption which means it doesn't show Mcgurn's save to Casa's goal as a continuous piece of action; my recollection is that Raith's equivalent highlights did.
Was just looking at a similar breakaway goal from someone else on twitter and would love to have been able to post that one in turn. But, no worries obviously, and keep up the great work.

I’ve never uploaded that version before but luckily I still have it saved in a folder on the laptop so I’ve stuck it online for you now.

It also includes Willie Gibson getting sent off which I don’t think Pars TV showed.