The New Raith Rovers Thread

Goodwillie is a ned from the Raploch and doesn’t strike me as the sort of boy who’d be able to assimilate into a foreign society. Did he not move his pal down to Blackburn with him and pay him a ‘wage’ to stay with him?

1 hour ago, Gav_RRFC said:

Always like watching that Ayr player who wheels away to celebrate his goal in that triple save. We should build a statue of him.

Goodwillie is a ned from the Raploch and doesn’t strike me as the sort of boy who’d be able to assimilate into a foreign society. Did he not move his pal down to Blackburn with him and pay him a ‘wage’ to stay with him?

Frustrating that so many of our players are like that, I’d much prefer our best players tried their hand in European leagues rather than the EPL or EFL. Playing and training in Spain, Portugal or Germany would surely improve our players technical ability compared to the game in the British isles. I know it’s not worked out for Ryan Gauld but at least he had the balls to move away from his family and friends and to be fair to him he’s still trying to work his way up the Portuguese leagues rather than come back and sign for Accies or Motherwell.

12 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Always like watching that Ayr player who wheels away to celebrate his goal in that triple save. We should build a statue of him.

The Ayr fan and McGurn’s heroics almost being undone by the ball being blootered into Gathuessi from 2 yards away and just drifting by the post are always enjoyable.

Hopefully we can furlough put of contact plays for as long as it is possible rather than the right-of-the-tories along the road as EEP.

Yeah. Let's shaft the taxpayer. Go you.

Seems strange that we're not the only club taking this course of action.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Albania?

32 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Aye, let’s shaft the players and show our loyalty to the taxpayer instead. “We love you taxpayers, we do! We love you taxpayers, we do! We love you taxpayers, we do! Oh taxpayers we love you!”*

*Unless we go into admin and stiff you.

Aye, let’s shaft the players and show our loyalty to the taxpayer instead. “We love you taxpayers, we do! We love you taxpayers, we do! We love you taxpayers, we do! Oh taxpayers we love you!”*

There's clearly more than one born every minute

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

So you would prefer to put players on the dole. Here's hoping that players wont want to sign next season for you. You've shafted small businesses and written off millions in the past now your shafting players rather than working with them and extending contracts to give them an income. 

So you would prefer to put players on the dole. Here's hoping that players wont want to sign next season for you. You've shafted small businesses and written off millions in the past now your shafting players rather than working with them and extending contracts to give them an income. 
Clearly these are normal times and we've made this decision with no thought given to the consequences at all.

The scheme is designed to save people from unemployment... its not shafting the tax payer.

28 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:
44 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

There's clearly more than one born every minute

Aye, saving the government those released players salaries will make all the difference. It’ll probably stave off austerity.

🚀 

With the club still raising money to see us through this period why don’t we offer signed 2019/20 shirts, could sell the stock left over for a lot more than it’s worth as “last seasons shirts” lots of fans like to buy signed memorabilia. Place your order and choose who signs it. Players are not doing much at the moment (Hendry’s hand might be sore by the end) could maybe even do a deal with a local framing shop. Signed memorabilia is normally popular.

2 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Frustrating that so many of our players are like that, I’d much prefer our best players tried their hand in European leagues rather than the EPL or EFL. Playing and training in Spain, Portugal or Germany would surely improve our players technical ability compared to the game in the British isles. I know it’s not worked out for Ryan Gauld but at least he had the balls to move away from his family and friends and to be fair to him he’s still trying to work his way up the Portuguese leagues rather than come back and sign for Accies or Motherwell.

I agree with you Al but I think while true that Gauld didn't make it at Sporting he has been relatively successful. Far from failing he has carved out a career in Portugal with Farense where his end of season form saw him score 6 goals in 7 games to propel his team to the top of the league and win promotion to the Primiera Liga. The Farense coach was in the news in midweek singing his praises and saying he will be a major asset to the Scottish national side.

He was unfortunate at Sporting where the manager that signed him was sacked and the new guy didn't rate youth players, then he was sent out on loan and was in the Vitoria side that eliminated Sporting from the cup, this lead to him and a team-mate being recalled and ostracised bak in Lisbon. James has been following his career and says there are plenty of Sporting fans saying his being allowed to leave was a mistake.

On the whole though too many young players go to the Ugly sisters or the English leagues, more should take the Eric Black, Ryan Gauld, Liam Morrison and to some extent Olly Burke (maybe not the best example) route.

I'm sure at the end of this all, the whole of the UK will remember the time Dunferline didn't shaft the tax payer by sticking a group of mid-20s men on the dole. 

Mind you, I'm not sure that it's the best starting point to take tips on morality from a club who shafted creditors and who's biggest hero of the last 10 years is a sex pest. 

I'm going to ignore the post above.

I'm hearing several Championship club chairmen have had advice that HMRC aren't best pleased with the prospect of clubs signing players on month to month contracts then furloughing them.

I know Dunfermline will forever be evil in your eyes but surely it makes sense to take the course of action we have so we don't get our fingers burnt further down the line?