The New Raith Rovers Thread

I get that Steven Anderson came in and steadied the defence when we were really struggling but he was slow as death and struggled big time against Goodwillie when we played Clyde away. After such a long lay off and being another year older i don't  think he will be good enough for the Championship next season. 

Munro was terrible, can't believe any Rovers fan would want to see him back. 

Munro! No thanks other than the fact we can call him Geordie he’s got not much else going for him, average keeper at best. Keep Thomson as he shows potential and bring someone new in. Can’t see the Witch staying as a playing option by the time football returns so with our luck with Goalkeepers we’ll need another back up youngster.

Fair enough if we can get better keepers in than We have. I would agree Munro’s a bit lightweight and his kicking looked a bit suspect late on in a number of games but tbh I am struggling to think of too games where he cost us points, admittedly I missed some games through work but with the benefit of Raith Tv highlights I still can’t recall any events. Now and then he looked a bit weak coming for crosses and at the time I thought he was at fault for the hunchbacks equalising goal at home to Falkirk but Tv showed he was actually clattered by Davo.

7 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Can players not improve ?

McManus has had several goes at tier 2 and never shown the goal scoring prowess he does in tier 3. His style is based on a good engine and mixing it with defenders, using his strength and speed to win second balls and fouls. You can see he walks a tight line between bullying defenders and giving away petty fouls. It may just be that the margin of difference in your average championship defender over your league 1 defender is enough so that he wins less of those battles and consequently less effective.

Edited by renton

I get that Steven Anderson came in and steadied the defence when we were really struggling but he was slow as death and struggled big time against Goodwillie when we played Clyde away. After such a long lay off and being another year older i don't  think he will be good enough for the Championship next season. 

Glad I’m not the only one that thought Anderson wasn’t as good as some made out. Yeah he was decent, but to say he ‘fixed’ the defence etc is well over the top.

56 minutes ago, michaeljohnstone said:

Do you not remember him being shit in the Championship?

I'm not really sold on the idea of him returning, but in fairness to him, he was having to do Skacel's work for him as well as his own. 

When partnering Mark Stewart at the beginning, and once Ryan Hardie came back, Mcmanus weighed in with a few goals. 

5 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

Glad I’m not the only one that thought Anderson wasn’t as good as some made out. Yeah he was decent, but to say he ‘fixed’ the defence etc is well over the top.

Mcglynn pretty much said as much a few weeks back in one of the Rovers Reviews downloads. 

It's no coincidence he came in after the 4-2 defeat to EF and we didn't come close to defending that badly after then. Defence was a mess until then. 

Robbie Thompson looked too good for the league in the games he did play. The only reason Munro wasn’t dropped quicker is because the defending was at fault for the goals. The difference between them is that Thompson will bail the defence out and Munro didn’t as often.

Just a coincidence that our defence was absolutely fucking hopeless for about 2 months straight. He comes in then the defence looks as solid as can be for the next month then?

And for the record, I won’t judge any centrehalf in Scotland based on how they can handle Goodwillie.

Goodwillie isn’t at Clyde because ‘that’s his level’.

He could easily play at a much higher level than that. He’s there because of his past and Clyde are probably the only professional football team in Scotland that would give him the benefit of the doubt.

I’d bite your hand off for both him and MacLean next season. Would both be valuable assets for our championship campaign imo.