The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 16/05/2020 at 23:32, pantene proV said:

Scored 15 in 7 games for Akranes the season we met them. Some boi 

IIRC Jimmy tried to sign both the twins but they were on loan from Feyenoord and out of our price range.

12 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Is this going to be an annual thing we can look forward to?

Bill Clark confirmed in the ‘Rovers Review’ we will not be signing anyone until we have some sort of certainty about when the season will start. Good news for you guys because I hear Anton Dowds would’ve been on his way to us under normal circumstances, you may get to keep him for another year now.

To be fair 1% of the time everything he’s posted has proved to be 100% accurate and true.

I'm away to chap MgGlynn's door to tell him he has to get Anderson signed up. There's also a wee kind of family connection - the wife's cousin is Steven's mother in law. 

14 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson retires now. It'll more than likely be next year before any football is played. Maybe not so bad when you're 24 but not when you're 34.

If he retires the heres hoping Davo retires. 

35 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

If he retires the heres hoping Davo retires. 

Yeah him and McLean would be in the same category. They could feasibly end up inactive for 12 months and I am struggling to imagine them coming back from that. 

Now that we are Champions and will be playing the likes of Hearts, Dunfermline, Dundee hopefully with some decent crowds Covid 19 dependant who would you like us to sign within reason. Which areas do we need to strengthen. 

5 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Now that we are Champions and will be playing the likes of Hearts, Dunfermline, Dundee hopefully with some decent crowds Covid 19 dependant who would you like us to sign within reason. Which areas do we need to strengthen. 

Off hand we need a keeper; a center defender or two, a starting right and backup left defender; a reserve mid, preferably a defensive one; some serious offensive power. If JMcG sticks with a 4-3-3:

At Keeper we have Thompson and Bow, McGurn is unlikely to be a viable backup, so Munro might be nice if he’s freed. Otherwise, I’m open to ideas for an upgrade.

At CB, we should have Bene and McKay, with possibly Davo as a reserve and Mendy 😳, in the middle. If SAndo is gone, we need at least one, two if Davo goes too. LB, hopefully MacDonald will play full time for us, and I see Miller as a backup RB. That leaves a starting RB and a reserve LB needed too.

In the middle, we are pretty solid if we keep the gang together. I could see signing a defensive mid.

At the front, if MacLean is gone, Vaughan is pretty much it, the cupboard is bare. We need an experienced poacher, and a couple of solid scorers. We also need a little youth, besides Smith, to start developing.

If we can keep SAndo and MacLean playing, they could both help us a lot because of their experience. I think they could probably still deliver at the Championship level for another year...if there isn’t a huge delay. Mendy, well, we need to see him play a little and see if his play has developed to match his stature. IF he’s developing, and IF it’s available, a first half loan to a League One side might tell us exact what he might be worth long term...unless he’s somehow developed into a Championship level player at Kelty. Davo I can’t see as a consistent starter at the Championship level, as I would expect the frustrations of his slowly increasing physical limitations  (due to age) would make him an easy target for the other side to seek to rile up. If he does want to pursue coaching, that might be a viable choice to replace McGurn as player/coach.

Hes some boy.

A legend at the club before he opened the scoring in our first Scottish Cup win. Record appearance holder and with the club through the whole journey from almost being relegated to the third tier to become an established top 8 side.

Yet hes still saying stuff like "think I was good for the club" and "done my bit". A Perth journalist was saying he just "scoffs" when he gets told hes a Saints legend as he doesnt believe it.

That humility is a rare trait in footballers.

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at the Rovers next season, or if some kind of deal hasn't been done in principle (not that it means a great deal in the current climate I guess)

Seemed to really enjoy his time at the club, and I'm sure I saw him at a couple of games even when his initial loan was cancelled (and on days when Saints were playing)

Made a difference from his first game onwards, and whilst he wasn't ever present, I'm convinced he played a massive part in our defence improving massively even when he wasn't playing. We didn't ever look back after signing him.

That makes him a bad player then? Surely there was another 10 boys on the pitch as well.

He's a young lad still learning brought through Dundee Utd youth policy and first season in snr football. Still managed to score a hatrick at CB for them.

Surely that meant he played in league 1 last year?

Reekie in the worst side in league2.

PS did the players actually get a league 1 winners medal. Genuinely interested

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see Callachan has also been released by St Johnstone although midfield isn't a priority area and he has been linked with Dundee. 

His fitness needs to be highlighted, he's just started running after a leg break.

19 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

We’ve managed to get full match footage of the 2010 Quarter Final game vs Dundee that we can use as a replay. 

It will go up on the RaithTV YouTube channel at 3pm Saturday.

Braw! Look forward to seeing that.😊

Looking forward to it. 

We've got a good record in the cup at Dens Park so I'm quite confident. 

However, we always seem to be on the wrong end of bad decisions up there, onside goals disallowed etc. 

Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.