The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 hours ago, DanElderRRFC said:

I’ve got that one yeah, Aberdeen beat us 4-1 and it looked as if the North Stand was split in two for home and away fans. There’s an interview with McLean at the end.

Glad you and your dad are enjoying the clip

If I remember the motherwell keeper slipped On his arse after a kickout and we scored. Then again, I Could be wrong... 

11 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

arnar gunnlaugsson was a standout. Googled his career.he had turned out for Bolton 1997/99 wi 13 goals in 42 games. Leicester 99/02 wi 3 goals in 30 games.

Scored 15 in 7 games for Akranes the season we met them. Some boi 

The Gunnlaugsson twins were the standouts in that team.  The silence when that away goal went in. 

The away leg was incredible. Chic Young on the flight. The surreal tour the buses took us on. The mad day In Reykjavik. The drive to Akranes. Party time until they scored and then it was hang on for dear life. Scott Thomson an absolute legend that game. Then the squad and fans together at the airport. Perfect. 

I wasn’t at the Arkranes home game. Remember that highlights package so vividly though. Even now I knew when the goals were coming and I haven’t watched it in years. Danny Lennon second evading the defenders slide tackle was an unreal finish. They and some tidy players those brothers in particular. Would have been great if we managed to poach a couple with their season basically finished not long after that match.

Its a real shame we haven’t managed to really keep or even attempt (maybe we have) to have a wee affiliation with Bayern. Imagine having a couple of young players from their B setup come across and play for us? A tiny speck in Bayern’s history, but at the same time they beat us en route to winning it, with Rumminigge stating we were the best team they played! 😂

We should be doing everything we can to get some sort of affiliation with them. How amazing would a friendly be? The money it could raise for us? 

9 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

The Gunnlaugsson twins were the standouts in that team.  The silence when that away goal went in. 

The away leg was incredible. Chic Young on the flight. The surreal tour the buses took us on. The mad day In Reykjavik. The drive to Akranes. Party time until they scored and then it was hang on for dear life. Scott Thomson an absolute legend that game. Then the squad and fans together at the airport. Perfect. 

This

Remember having a kick about in the street as well.I spilt the most expensive table full of pints in the pub.Waved into the ground by the police even though I had a bottle of smirnoff and plastic tumbler,certainly helped my nerves

Airport on  way home was as you say,perfect

Oh,also remember the plane wasn,t for taking off on the way out cause a certain supporter who I wont name was lying on the floor sleeping/pashed.Eventually took off with him half on the floor,half on the seat

Oh,Oh, Denis who organised the whole trip turning up at Glasgow airport and forgetting his passport

Edited by Rovers_Lad

6 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Harsh reality is we were just another small unheard of side that a bigger side played on their way to silverware. 

We did well to get the friendly from them to be honest. 

True. We gave them a fright though. If you consider that scottish teams now would probably go out to the likes of Akranes, we done well to get as far as we did. We were put out as well by some of the best players in the world at the time as well. 4-1 over the two legs isn’t too bad considering most people thought we would get absolutely battered. Was fantastic to see players of that quality playing in the flesh. 

Edited by buchan30

30 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

True. We gave them a fright though. If you consider that scottish teams now would probably go out to the likes of Akranes, we done well to get as far as we did. We were put out as well by some of the best players in the world at the time as well. 4-1 over the two legs isn’t too bad considering most people thought we would get absolutely battered. Was fantastic to see players of that quality playing in the flesh. 

Totally.  Some of those players were household names who went on to win Euros, Champions League etc. 

It's absolutely crazy to look back on. 

I think only Barcelona, in the semis, had a closer aggregate score against Bayern that season. 

As far as being fortunate to get the home friendly against them is concerned, I think we paid them a pretty penny to get them to agree to it. I'm sure the tickets for the friendly were actually more expensive than the tickets for the actual UEFA Cup game. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

Did we win that friendly game 1-0 with a peter duffield goal? Was it not supposed to officially open the “new” stadium?

am i right in saying we played rangers in a friendly in march 99 and won 1-0 with a stevie tosh goal? 

Edited by buchan30

Rovers claimed their first league win of the season thanks to goals from Ally Graham and Jason Dair.

The latest match uploaded by [mention=10485]DanElderRRFC[/mention] V Partick Thistle, I managed to spot myself in the crowd. Brilliant. The penalty save by Thomson and subsequent save off the line was outstanding. 

And this one, a Colin Cameron double helped Rovers on their way to victory against Partick Thistle.

Brilliant double save by Thomson at the end.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

I think only Barcelona, in the semis, had a closer aggregate score against Bayern that season. 

As far as being fortunate to get the home friendly against them is concerned, I think we paid them a pretty penny to get them to agree to it. I'm sure the tickets for the friendly were actually more expensive than the tickets for the actual UEFA Cup game. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_UEFA_Cup_Final

check out some of the absolute scuddings that Bayern team handed out on the way to the final.

C2320D7D-A2F2-4A36-8D66-435E0E9CAAF6.png

Edited by Scary Bear