The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Can we get Allan Prestons thunderbolt own goal from the St Johnstone game please.

From memory we were massively toiling in that game till Preston smashed in the equaliser

I'm keen to see the highlights of that match as well. Crawford's last minute goal was one of the league moments of that season, only surpassed by the two minutes at East End where Graham headed us in front and Thomson saved French's penalty.

19 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm keen to see the highlights of that match as well. Crawford's last minute goal was one of the league moments of that season, only surpassed by the two minutes at East End where Graham headed us in front and Thomson saved French's penalty.

There's footage of Crawford's last minute winner at McDiarmid on the awards video. He actually takes it in far too close to the goalkeeper, but Alan Main is painfully slow off his line. 

Tremendous celebrations nevertheless. 

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

There's footage of Crawford's last minute winner at McDiarmid on the awards video. He actually takes it in far too close to the goalkeeper, but Alan Main is painfully slow off his line. 

That pass after Rougiers knock down is orgasmic 

2 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Just watched it. That last touch before the finish was definitely a bit dodgy. I thought he went through from a long punt but that pass from Barry Wilson (I think) was top drawer stuff.

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Did we not hit the bar in that game against Dunfermline, a long range effort from Jason Dair? 

We did and it was the bar at the bottom end that got a decent rattle. Some of us in the main stand were kinda behind it and were on our feet thinking it was in. Sadly, not to be. If it had, I think we'd have gone on to win the league in that game and save the Firhill for thrills stuff the following week.😊

Looking back at the videos from this era has reinforced 2 facts for me.

1. I remember all these things pretty well from being there which means I am fucking old.

2. Jimmy Nic mk1was by a stratosphere our greatest ever manager. What he achieved in that one season. The cup win against a Celtic team desperate for any silver ware and then to take a team pissing about in 8th place to push on and win the league in a tight helicopter saturday 3 horse race. 

To do this playing some of the best football ever seen by a Raith team do achieve this. 

19 hours ago, Michael W said:

Andy Walker. Ugh. I remember even as an 8/9 year old thinking that he was garbage. 

Fair chance he was the first Raith player that I thought was crap. 

Agreed!!

In all the years of being a Raith supporter Andy Walker is by far the most lazy, disinterested player I have seen in a RRFC shirt.

I would have place Gerry Britton as close second. Thankfully Britton was only at San Starko for a few games on loan from Dunfermline.

For me, knowing they were actually good players, when with Celtic, it really niggled  to know they simply could not be arsed but were happy to pick up their cheque.   Rant over!!

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

Looking back at the videos from this era has reinforced 2 facts for me.

1. I remember all these things pretty well from being there which means I am fucking old.

Just a number and state of mind.

As in "mind yon time when.....etc,etc."😉

Can we get Allan Prestons thunderbolt own goal from the St Johnstone game please.
From memory we were massively toiling in that game till Preston smashed in the equaliser

Every time Allan ‘Biscuits’ Preston slavers away and irritates me, I think back to this. Glorious.

Agreed!!

In all the years of being a Raith supporter Andy Walker is by far the most lazy, disinterested player I have seen in a RRFC shirt.

I would have place Gerry Britton as close second. Thankfully Britton was only at San Starko for a few games on loan from Dunfermline.

For me, knowing they were actually good players, when with Celtic, it really niggled  to know they simply could not be arsed but were happy to pick up their cheque.   Rant over!!

I once dug out the old Fife Free Press’ of the time, and had a look at how many points Andy Walker averaged on Star Check, and it was something like 3.44. Certainly under four.

It was out of 10 in those days.

Creaney's sole contribution to the Rovers was to cleverly win a penalty in the last minute of a League Cup tie against Arbroath. He didn't dive, but was clever enough to see the defender slide in and stopped in his tracks so that he was clattered and knocked over. 

Alex 'Toasty' Burns stuck the penalty away and earned us an away tie at Parkhead in the next round. 

The last I heard of Creaney he was driving taxis in Coatbridge. 

4 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Creaney's sole contribution to the Rovers was to cleverly win a penalty in the last minute of a League Cup tie against Arbroath. He didn't dive, but was clever enough to see the defender slide in and stopped in his tracks so that he was clattered and knocked over. 

Alex 'Toasty' Burns stuck the penalty away and earned us an away tie at Parkhead in the next round. 

I had entirely forgotten that but it's now ringing a very vague bell. I don't remember the incident itself but I seem to recall my reaction at the time was rather less charitable than you've been, just there.

If it's the game I'm thinking of we were pretty fortunate to get out of jail after going a goal and a man down. Sacha Opinel was the man dismissed, but if you knew he was playing then you probably didn't need to be told that bit.

1 hour ago, Gregor147 said:

Did Gerry Creaney play for us or have I imagined it?

I was a taxi driver back then, I can remember picking up a very pissed Creaney with a kebab in each hand from Tony's (opposite what was Mullin's back then) from what I remember he said we had been humped 4-0 by Morton, can't remember where I dropped the fucking usless bellend off, pity it wasn't at the crem !!!

2 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

He didn't dive, but was clever enough to see the defender slide in and stopped in his tracks so that he was clattered and knocked over. 

I wasn't at that match but I remember the tremors well.