The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Does anyone remember a game at brockville where John Rowbotham was referee? He was warming up infront of the raith fans and someone shouted - jokingly  “i know where you live rowbotham” and him just giving a wee smile back. 

Did we not win 1-0 with an Andy Walker pen? 1998 and one of those Jimmy Nichol mk.II "expensive" mistakes! 

23 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Did we not win 1-0 with an Andy Walker pen? 1998 and one of those Jimmy Nichol mk.II "expensive" mistakes! 

Indeed we did....and if i remember correctly the penalty was incredibly soft. For as much as I've seen us play at Brockville I think I'd only seen us win there 3 times. That game quoted above, a game involving a Peter Duffield winner and a midweek cup game although the latter is a bit hazy so might be making that up.

1 hour ago, pantene proV said:

We took a maximum twelve points from Falkirk that season and still never really made a sustained bid for the title. 

We beat them quite comfortably 2-0 at Starks Park in the first game, but in the other three Guido van de Kamp took them on almost single handedly 

29 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

We took a maximum twelve points from Falkirk that season and still never really made a sustained bid for the title. 

We beat them quite comfortably 2-0 at Starks Park in the first game, but in the other three Guido van de Kamp took them on almost single handedly 

Wasn't one of those a game where they were 1 up going on 10 into the last 3 minutes then we scored twice?

38 minutes ago, renton said:

Wasn't one of those a game where they were 1 up going on 10 into the last 3 minutes then we scored twice?

That one just went up recently (thank you legend Dan elder) and indeed was an absolute robbery. Actual crime.

The maligned Derek Holmes (?) with a weird but emphatic winner

1 hour ago, L. Brilliant said:

That one just went up recently (thank you legend Dan elder) and indeed was an absolute robbery. Actual crime.

The maligned Derek Holmes (?) with a weird but emphatic winner

Sinky had a howler for the Bairns that day. Derek Holmes turned him inside out I couldn't believe they were the same players.

I remember one game where he punched a cross into the net. It was probably out of reach to get his head on it but it just seemed like he was too lazy to even try. 

I think it was possibly against Dundee. I think they clinched the league at Starks that season and it might have been that match. 

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I remember one game where he punched a cross into the net. It was probably out of reach to get his head on it but it just seemed like he was too lazy to even try. 

I think it was possibly against Dundee. I think they clinched the league at Starks that season and it might have been that match. 

Pretty sure you're right - did that at 0-0 didn't he? Useless wee twat. 

Raith knew that a win against Dunfermline would see them clinch the First Division title, but the celebrations were put on hold as this sold out Fife derby finished goalless.

Raith Rovers secure a historic double, and promotion back to the Premier League after getting the point they needed against Hamilton.

The trophies keep on coming for Rovers as the club’s success is recognised at the Scottish Football League’s end of season awards night.

Watching those last 3 videos and a few memories returned to me.

How Turnbull must have enjoyed presenting Daz with the 1st Div trophy.

The previous season Bert P was greeting about how because of the number of wins his Dunfermline side would have been promoted had it been 3 points for a win instead of 2. I remember being on the bus on the way home from Firhill, reading the Mach programme and working it out that had it still been 2 points for a win they would have won it on goal difference.

51 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Watching those last 3 videos and a few memories returned to me.

How Turnbull must have enjoyed presenting Daz with the 1st Div trophy.

The previous season Bert P was greeting about how because of the number of wins his Dunfermline side would have been promoted had it been 3 points for a win instead of 2. I remember being on the bus on the way home from Firhill, reading the Mach programme and working it out that had it still been 2 points for a win they would have won it on goal difference.

Aye, but if it had been two points for a win, we might have approached the Hamilton game differently. We were far and away the dominant team in the game and should have won, but, apart from a cross that fizzed across our six yard box late on, we were in control of the situation knowing a draw was good enough. 

With the spirit and bottle that side had, I'm willing to bet we'd have won at Firhill on the last day if we'd really had to. 

I remember Paton and Campbell being a pair of ungracious p***ks at the that time. 

16 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Did we not hit the bar in that game against Dunfermline, a long range effort from Jason Dair? 

I'm sure we did. 

I'm also sure we got a free kick in the last minute about 25 yards out and can't remember if that was Dair's effort that hit the bar or whether Van de Kamp saved it. 

32 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm sure we did. 

I'm also sure we got a free kick in the last minute about 25 yards out and can't remember if that was Dair's effort that hit the bar or whether Van de Kamp saved it. 

The cameraman at the game must've been so caught up in the tension he forgot to film those bits. 

I enjoyed Dick Campbell's interview afterwards. "Raith have got to go to Hamilton and win, although they only need a point". 

9 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

With the spirit and bottle that side had, I'm willing to bet we'd have won at Firhill on the last day if we'd really had to. 

Absolutely, after the St Johnstone game we knew two draws would do it and that's what we did. We were in total control of the situation and I'm pretty sure we would've gotten whatever we needed out of those last two games. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Absolutely, after the St Johnstone game we knew two draws would do it and that's what we did. We were in total control of the situation and I'm pretty sure we would've gotten whatever we needed out of those last two games. 

Can we get Allan Prestons thunderbolt own goal from the St Johnstone game please.

From memory we were massively toiling in that game till Preston smashed in the equaliser