The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The biggest mistake with Thomson was allowing someone with no managerial experience to squander a ridiculous amount of money. He must've spent £750k on players during his 6 months or so in charge. 

This was the start of the rot for me both on & off the pitch. Players being brought in on big salaries & a good few we also paid transfer fees for too. A lot of them looked like they were only there for the money & it showed.

23 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The biggest mistake with Thomson was allowing someone with no managerial experience to squander a ridiculous amount of money. He must've spent £750k on players during his 6 months or so in charge. 

Yeah, seasons are won and lost in the Summer, by and large. Especially these days. You can tweak things a bit in January, freshen things up slightly but short of splurging shed tonnes of money, you can't really alter a team's trajectory. The guy who gets given the budget in June, that's the guy who makes or breaks the football club. 

8 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’m sure we paid big bucks for Harvey, Browne and Bonar that summer. Add that to the cash we also spent of ground redevelopment that same season and it’s no surprise we ended up down the creek financially.

Bonar was signed at the fag end of the season before around same time as Thomson, Duffield, John Millar & Steve Kirk. Harvey & Browne then arrived in the summer along with Twaddle. It isn't hard to see how the finances deteriorated so quickly when you list the signings & the money they must have been on at the time.

We did rake in over a million on transfer fees with the sales of Macanespie and Cameron, which covered the transfer fees. Was it not £250k for Harvey, £90k for Bonar and £100k Twaddle? 

I thought Thompson had assembled a half-decent squad, the problem is Munro binned most of them and brought in numerous journeymen from Scandinavia every other week who were largely woeful. This was pre transfer window and we had a ridiculous turnover of players.

It wasn't just the fees themselves, Twaddle in his book said he was on £900 a week when he signed in 1996. £45 grand a year for a club our size almost 25 years ago is an obscene amount to be paying any player and I doubt he would have been the only one on money like that.

4 minutes ago, Stelios said:

We did rake in over a million on transfer fees with the sales of Macanespie and Cameron, which covered the transfer fees. Was it not £250k for Harvey, £90k for Bonar and £100k Twaddle? 

I thought Thompson had assembled a half-decent squad, the problem is Munro binned most of them and brought in numerous journeymen from Scandinavia every other week who were largely woeful. This was pre transfer window and we had a ridiculous turnover of players.

Soren Anderson was decent.

1 minute ago, Stelios said:

Was McAnespie's fee not used to part fund the ground redevelopment though? 

To be fair, the rot started with some of the mental signings Nicholl made in the run up to him leaving. 

At the start of that season I remember there being 5 or 6 players lined up in the tartan kit but cant recall who they all were. I’m guessing Twaddle, Brown, Kirk, Krivokapić and Harvey?  Bonnar, Duffield and Thomson were signed late 1995/96 I think.

The team was in flux, without Nicholl, McAnespie, Dennis, Sinclair, Cameron, Dair and Crawford. There were far too many changes Miodrag steadied the ship some but it was very unsettled. The defence was further weakened by Munro dropping Thomson’s for that haddie  Colin Scott.

Thomson did spend heavily (as did Jimmy Nicholl the following season) but I don’t think he spent Particularly unwisely, more that he was forced into Just far too many signings. Unless I’m mistaken the team that finished 1995/96 had a settled core of pro’s that had been there a while such As: Thomson, Broddle, Coyle, Dennis, Sinclair, Cameron, Dair, Crawford, Lennon and Graham by the seasons start a vast number Of them had joined The ranks of Former players such as Nicholl, Dalziel, Brewster and Heatherston who although gone for over a year had been so influential in building the team that achieved that 1st promotion.

By the bitter end of 1996/97 I think Of Jimmy Nicholl’s signings there was only Kirkwood and Rougier making regular starts.

Colin Cameron scored twice as Raith kept their title hopes alive with a win against St. Mirren.

Rovers met Airdrie for the seventh time of the season, and it was the away side who took the points following the first half dismissal of Ally Graham.

2 hours ago, DanElderRRFC said:

Rovers met Airdrie for the seventh time of the season, and it was the away side who took the points following the first half dismissal of Ally Graham.

The Jim O'Hare game we were talking about a page or two back.

Edited by Yoss

The end of the 95/96 season I'm sure there was a very nervy away game at Brockville we only just won 3-2, Bobby Geddes saved a penalty and I think Robbie Raeside netted the winner late on which effectively relegated Falkirk.

4 hours ago, pub car king said:

The end of the 95/96 season I'm sure there was a very nervy away game at Brockville we only just won 3-2, Bobby Geddes saved a penalty and I think Robbie Raeside netted the winner late on which effectively relegated Falkirk.

I’m sure Someone took out Ally Graham with a last man tackle and conceded the pen but no red card, perhaps the ref  knew even though it was in the box  there was a fair chance Ally would miss

59 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

I’m sure Someone took out Ally Graham with a last man tackle and conceded the pen but no red card, perhaps the ref  knew even though it was in the box  there was a fair chance Ally would miss

It was Bobby Geddes who pulled Graham down as he tried to go round him and it was Mo Johnston who missed the penalty which would have put Falkirk 3-1 up. 

Raeside equalised soon after and Duffield scored the winner late on. It pretty much secured our survival with four games still to go after that. It wouldn't have been a good one to lose, but it wasn't quite a win or bust scenario either. 

Does anyone remember a game at brockville where John Rowbotham was referee? He was warming up infront of the raith fans and someone shouted - jokingly  “i know where you live rowbotham” and him just giving a wee smile back. 

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

One of the best Rovers games i was ever at! Think I still have the paper cut out at home with me and my dad in the background celebrating Robbies goal!

28 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

It was Bobby Geddes who pulled Graham down as he tried to go round him and it was Mo Johnston who missed the penalty which would have put Falkirk 3-1 up. 

Raeside equalised soon after and Duffield scored the winner late on. It pretty much secured our survival with four games still to go after that. It wouldn't have been a good one to lose, but it wasn't quite a win or bust scenario either. 

Then the next week Hearts came to town with their new signing, Colin Cameron. That broke my heart a bit.

I remember the last home game against Motherwell that season. Everyone turning up ready to dig up their bit of the pitch. Paul Bonar getting it tight for wearing white boots, a Motherwell player getting sent off for bad language and a 2-0 win...

31 minutes ago, renton said:

Then the next week Hearts came to town with their new signing, Colin Cameron. That broke my heart a bit.

I remember the last home game against Motherwell that season. Everyone turning up ready to dig up their bit of the pitch. Paul Bonar getting it tight for wearing white boots, a Motherwell player getting sent off for bad language and a 2-0 win...

Hearts beat us 3-1 that day didn’t they? Did cameron not score a penalty?

i was mascot at the motherwell game on the last day. Alex mcleish was really nice and friendly, took time to stand and chat with me and my dad. 

I'm pretty sure the away terrace was closed off for both the Hearts and Motherwell games so we could start the redevelopment of the ground as soon as possible. 

I'm also pretty sure that roof was off the old shed at the Links end for the Motherwell game as well.