The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, DanElderRRFC said:

Raith Rovers left Paisley with 3 points but it was the St. Mirren fans who grabbed the headlines, staging a walk out protest against under pressure manager Jimmy Bone.

Rovers come from behind in Dundee to win their 10th match in a row, and progress into the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

Over 7000 fans watched on as Raith met Airdrieonians in this ill-tempered Scottish Cup quarter final at Stark’s Park.

Wonder if any of the resident St Mirren fans on P+B recognise themselves on that video...

Slightly concerned about having Joma as the kit manufacturer, at least based on the efforts they put out for St Johnstone.

Puma had a few dull efforts in there, particularly away kits, and the 2010/11 effort had way too much red in it, but the half and half, the white with blue hoops and this years 90s retro spangly effort were at least imaginative and eye catching.

Not bought a football top in close to two decades, however thought I'd give the club some money for some merchandise. So took a medium away top.

They aren't super tight are they?  Round the ol' beer belly?

If the new kits are dapper I may get involved in that too to help out some more.

On 29/04/2020 at 08:03, roverthemoon said:

Nicholl, Connor, McGlynn in that order

Absolutely adore McGlynn but don’t think Jimmy Nic could have achieved what he did without the foundations laid by Frank Connor. How he turned us around from the state we were in under Bobby Wilson was astounding. 

Considering that the state of the club was so bad that even the dressing rooms needed painted which was instigated by Frank Connor I suggest this order

Connor  Mcglyn  Nichol

17 hours ago, pub car king said:

Yep that's the one Jimmy the Janny was in charge, the Rougier thing was a good bit of management.

Was that the same much maligned Jimmy the Janny that was in charge taking us to 6th in the Premier League our highest top finish since the days of two divisions only?🤔

Surely some mistake? Nah! It couldn't possibly be him? Could it? 🤫😉

I have to agree Embow, I always felt Jimmy Thomson was a bit harshly done by.

Rangers away (0-1), Celtic away (1-4) then losing midweek 2-3 away to a Silky inspired Airdrie at Broadwood, and that was it! He was dismissed.  You could ask just what exactly the then chairman expected from opening away trips to the ugly sisters, most likely the Airdrie defeat was the best excuse he could offer for getting rid.

I think the real reason Thomson was sacked was purely because Tommy McLean had suddenly become available after his case with Hearts was settled, as we know 6 days later Dundee Utd then did the 1st of their great Manager thefts and we ended up with the 3rd the booby prize aka the Townie reject that is Mr Iain Munro, he then guided us rapidly to a relegation season of gutless and guileless ineptitude.

Employing Jimmy Thomson wasn't the big mistake IMO, but employing Munro was.

As above Munro was a horrendous appointment. Don't know what happened behind the scenes with the management at that time. At the end of the previous season the janny brought in Thompson and Duffield the latter being a bit of a goal machine, then was allowed to spank a quarter of a million on Paul Harvey in the summer amongst others before being binned after 3 games the next season.

2 hours ago, Bandohope said:

Considering that the state of the club was so bad that even the dressing rooms needed painted which was instigated by Frank Connor I suggest this order

Connor  Mcglyn  Nichol

To have Nichol 3rd is mental.

Some folk always mention things that needed painted when talking about Connor and McGlynn as an analogy to their work-rate, and that Nichol had Martin Harvey doing all the work like he just happened upon a bunch of players and sat on his erse; completely forgetting how key a PLAYER Jimmy was for us as well as managing 2 championships and a national trophy at a higher level than those 2 ever did (and playing the best football seen for decades, and never seen since)

Not denigrating the achievements of either as they were undoubtedly great but, y'know, get real. 

Edited by pantene proV

Munro and Harvey didn't get on and as a consequence Harvey was rarely used as I recall. Shame really he was one of those players that destroyed us no matter who he was with be it Clydebank Airdrie and even Motherwell.

Rangers away (0-1), Celtic away (1-4) then losing midweek 2-3 away to a Silky inspired Airdrie at Broadwood, and that was it! He was dismissed.  You could ask just what exactly the then chairman expected from opening away trips to the ugly sisters, most likely the Airdrie defeat was the best excuse he could offer for getting rid.
I think the real reason Thomson was sacked was purely because Tommy McLean had suddenly become available after his case with Hearts was settled, as we know 6 days later Dundee Utd then did the 1st of their great Manager thefts and we ended up with the 3rd the booby prize aka the Townie reject that is Mr Iain Munro, he then guided us rapidly to a relegation season of gutless and guileless ineptitude.

I have to agree on this. He was harshly treated to the extreme. Airdrie were a great team back then. Albeit Paul Harvey was a mistake imo. Great for Airdrie, Pish for us.

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I thought Thomson got the 3-0 home defeat to Motherwell as well (think the home crowd were in the then new North Stand as the South stand wasnt finished).

McLean came in, got horsed 4-1 by Aberdeen, fucked off. Munro came in and beat McLean's Dundee United 3-2....

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, pantene proV said:

To have Nichol 3rd is mental.

Some folk always mention things that needed painted when talking about Connor and McGlynn as an analogy to their work-rate, and that Nichol had Martin Harvey doing all the work like he just happened upon a bunch of players and sat on his erse; completely forgetting how key a PLAYER Jimmy was for us as well as managing 2 championships and a national trophy at a higher level than those 2 ever did (and playing the best football seen for decades, and never seen since)

Not denigrating the achievements of either as they were undoubtedly great but, y'know, get real. 

No denying Nicholl's achievements. Although I suspect John McGlynn would've murdered for players of half the raw talent of Colin Cameron, for example.

Nicholl mk.2 was a bit of a different story though, my recollection is of a large, directionless squad, and a squandered budget that helped put us into so a pretty bad financial situation.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

No denying Nicholl's achievements. Although I suspect John McGlynn would've murdered for players of half the raw talent of Colin Cameron, for example.

Nicholl mk.2 was a bit of a different story though, my recollection is of a large, directionless squad, and a squandered budget that helped put us into so a pretty bad financial situation.

You could argue the club never recovered from spending huge budgets like that. 

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

You could argue the club never recovered from spending huge budgets like that. 

I dont think it did. I think when the shit hit the fan in 2006, the majority of the debt had been passed down from one director's soft loan to the next dating back to Kelly's chairmanship in '98

Edited by renton

Jimmy Nicholl 1990-96 is fairly untouchable in my time as a fan but a lot of that credit has to be given to his assistant the late Martin Harvey and also quite rightly to the foundations laid by his predecessor Frank Connor.  This is bourn out by Nicholls achievements in his second spell 1997-99 where along with assistant Alex Smith he was given a lot of money (by comparison to that of others) by Alan Kelly and achieved not a lot.

36 minutes ago, renton said:

I thought Thomson got the 3-0 home defeat to Motherwell as well (think the home crowd were in the then new North Stand as the South stand wasnt finished).

McLean came in, got horsed 4-1 by Aberdeen, fucked off. Munro came in and beat McLean's Dundee United 3-2....

That's absolutely right. 

I thought Thomson did fine towards the end of the previous season as we were in free fall over the last few weeks of Nicholl's reign, but I must admit the alarm bells started to ring for me at that Motherwell game. Thomson stood on the touchline and looked absolutely lost. 

Also agree Munro was worse. I'd have fired him after the New Year game at East End. We lost 0-2 but it could have been a whole lot more and it was our 4th game on the spin without a shot on target.