The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 minutes ago, Daz80 said:

Was this a midweek game? Remember Sinky scoring infront of us from outside the box then or the year after. 

I’m Sure it was during the day so would have been a Saturday. May have to get onto statto...

Looks like it was 2-0..

Edited by Wardy

35 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I’m Sure it was during the day so would have been a Saturday. May have to get onto statto...

Looks like it was 2-0..

It was 2-0, sinky and dair both scored. Was a Saturday indeed 7/10/95. 

The way I remember sinkys was he curled it (sliced it) outside the box. I ran down the stairs, opened the gate to be met by a polisman telling me to f**k off.  

We played Airdrie 7 times that season, in all competitions.
Airdrie made it to the Scottish Cup Final that year, losing 1-0 to Celtic, same season we won the league cup. Not sure if that’s the only season where both national trophy finals have been contested by lower-league teams.

Think we played you 7 times in 2009/10 season as well. Sure it was 4 league games 2 Scottish cup games and a friendly. Mental.

Probably the last time we beat you [emoji23]

[mention=10485]DanElderRRFC[/mention] Do you have highlights from the 95/96 Premier season? It was my first season going to games with my dad. Don’t remember too many games so would be good to see some highlights of that season.
I do remember Motherwell away and we won maybe 3-0/3-1. Jason Dair scoring a peach at the home end? Maybe wrong though. [emoji23]

I’ve got quite a few from that season yeah, including that Motherwell match. Dair scored a decent goal in the first half up at their end and then Sinky scored a screamer in front of the Rovers fans.

Still got a few games to put up from 94/95 and then I’ll get right onto 95/96.

14 minutes ago, DanElderRRFC said:

I’ve got quite a few from that season yeah, including that Motherwell match. Dair scored a decent goal in the first half up at their end and then Sinky scored a screamer in front of the Rovers fans.

Still got a few games to put up from 94/95 and then I’ll get right onto 95/96.

Amazing! Looking forward to them! 

2 hours ago, Wardy said:

@DanElderRRFC Do you have highlights from the 95/96 Premier season? It was my first season going to games with my dad. Don’t remember too many games so would be good to see some highlights of that season.

I do remember Motherwell away and we won maybe 3-0/3-1. Jason Dair scoring a peach at the home end? Maybe wrong though. 😂

Oddly, despite it being the best season in the PL, my memories from that season are far less vivid. Can't really remember what was going on in my life, may have been at fewer games.

Besides the European matches, the two games that most spring to mind that season are a cracking 2-2 draw against Rangers at Starks in the autumn, and - for some reason - a miserable 0-2 defeat at home to Partick which I remember as being a particularly bad performance on a freezing cold night. I had it in my head it might have been Nicholl's last game before going to Millwall but I just checked and apparently not. Maybe it was just the last one I saw.

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The ones that stick out for me that season are the 3-0 midweek win against Hibs and the Rangers game where we were 2-1 up getting towards the last 10 minutes but ended up losing 4-2.

Was the Rangers game the one McCoist came on as a sub and bagged a hat trick? 

Raith Rovers left Paisley with 3 points but it was the St. Mirren fans who grabbed the headlines, staging a walk out protest against under pressure manager Jimmy Bone.

Rovers come from behind in Dundee to win their 10th match in a row, and progress into the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

Over 7000 fans watched on as Raith met Airdrieonians in this ill-tempered Scottish Cup quarter final at Stark’s Park.

21 minutes ago, DanElderRRFC said:

Rovers come from behind in Dundee to win their 10th match in a row, and progress into the quarter finals of the Scottish C

Over 7000 fans watched on as Raith met Airdrieonians in this ill-tempered Scottish Cup quarter final at Stark’s Park.

Yeah, Rowbotham's at Dens was roughly as I'd remembered it, and so was Paul Harvey's chip in the next game - which is about the only thing I'd remembered about that game, besides the Airdrie fans singing Where's Your Treble Gone?

That defeat actually stung a lot less than when they came back and beat us 1-0 in the league a few weeks later, with a truly atrocious reffing performance from a ref who, iirc, was quietly removed from the list of qualified officials at the end of the season. Didn't matter for the league title, luckily, but it was touch and go at the time.

37 minutes ago, Yoss said:

That defeat actually stung a lot less than when they came back and beat us 1-0 in the league a few weeks later, with a truly atrocious reffing performance from a ref who, iirc, was quietly removed from the list of qualified officials at the end of the season. Didn't matter for the league title, luckily, but it was touch and go at the time.

Yes! I don't even have to look it up. Jim o'Hare from Glenboig or Glenbogle, which was two miles from Airdrie or something.

But I thought we lost 3 1

5 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Yes! I don't even have to look it up. Jim o'Hare from Glenboig or Glenbogle, which was two miles from Airdrie or something.

I think I recall running into the enclosure at the end of the game to shout abuse at the ref as he went down the tunnel. 

37 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

O'Hare, that was him. It's the only time I've ever come away from a game thinking a ref might have been deliberately biased, at least to some degree. Seem to remember he'd had a bit if a run-in with Nicholl after another game earlier in the season.

Definitely 0-1 though.