The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

One other thing I've noticed is how much bigger away supports were back then. Large supports at Starks there from the likes of Motherwell, St Johnstone, Partick and Kilmarnock. 

I think that's probably true, but it was also accentuated a bit because we were new to the Premier League - it was a new ground for a lot of fans. The first Celtic game, as I remember it, was a bit mental, loads of Celtic fans turned up on spec and were trying to hunt down tickets. I thought that must be the norm for Old Firm visits but by the time we were back up again two seasons later it had settled down a bit.

Does anyone have any information on the player who was mentioned in the Digest on Friday?

I’m astounded that I’ve never heard of a guy called Fred Panther playing for us?

Infuriatingly I don’t have Always Next Season so can’t look it up, and with the library being shut I can’t dig out old Fife Free Presses.

2 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

Anyone able to post, or link to, the Bayern XI that played in the Stark's Park friendly 1996?

Were they not playing Celtic the following evening and it was mainly Bayern reserves?

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Does anyone have any information on the player who was mentioned in the Digest on Friday?

I’m astounded that I’ve never heard of a guy called Fred Panther playing for us?

Infuriatingly I don’t have Always Next Season so can’t look it up, and with the library being shut I can’t dig out old Fife Free Presses.

This is a quote from the 'On this day' section on the website, it shows up on a search, but when you click on the link it goes to todays OTD

Fred Panther scores four goals in Rovers 5-1 victory over Clydebank in the final game of the 1930-31 season. Hoggan was the other scorer from the penalty spot.

Fred Panther indeed ran the shop on the corner of Pratt Street and Ramsay Road as a sweetie shop but also sold fags, tobacco and other day to day needs like fruit, milk, a loaf or butter. Went in as a kid on way to home games for sweets. He would have made quite a bit back in the 40's and 50's with the really big crowds every other week and no supermarket competition. There was always a queue on match day out along the pavement back towards William St.

Fred was a centre forward in late 20's/early 30's. Came up from England and stayed the rest of his days. I'm not sure what club  he was signed from. Maybe Hartlepool?

2 hours ago, Beachbum said:

The corner shop on the way to the ground on Pratt Street was called Panther's. Sure he was a pre-war player.

That's correct, corner of Ramsay Road and Pratt Street. Used to go there when Fred owned it back in the day, good old guy, I think he was from Lancs or Yorks.

I think he had goal scoring record for us like, 5 goals in one game!!

Seen as we're going through a bit of nostalgia. If anyone is at home and bored...and has a scanner...and has old copies of Stark's Bark, 27/11 and The Menace. Yeah you know what I'm hinting at 😉

9 hours ago, Beachbum said:

The corner shop on the way to the ground on Pratt Street was called Panther's. Sure he was a pre-war player.

Yes I was told that was Panthers shop from a young age, I can also remember my dad saying He was fearless and never shirked a tackle, but the 1 time he did he broke his leg and my old man was there when it happened.