The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

I’d class Gregory Tade in that mould. Not a bad player but no where near as good as folk make out.

Ronnie Coyle was another. A bit of a bombscare of a player at times but went on to become a legend for his efforts during the reclaim the rovers stuff. You wouldn’t meet a nicer guy too!

Tade was a more than decent player but what has been highlighted is, he gaves his lot in every game.Give me 11 Tade,s than some that we have had masquerading as football players

Once we finally get around to signing players for next term I’d like to see the vast majority of the squad re-signed on the principle that a team that’s been together for a while is always better than one with wholesale changes.

Bene, McKay and Matthews absolutely have to be re-signed. To be honest there’s only 1 midfielder and 1 attacker I’d let go. Next season may not be a full season so perhaps there’s scope to deal in both Davo (when not getting sent off he really has been immense) and Baird (he may not leave for Australia until after Xmas).

Once we finally get around to signing players for next term I’d like to see the vast majority of the squad re-signed on the principle that a team that’s been together for a while is always better than one with wholesale changes.

Bene, McKay and Matthews absolutely have to be re-signed. To be honest there’s only 1 midfielder and 1 attacker I’d let go. Next season may not be a full season so perhaps there’s scope to deal in both Davo (when not getting sent off he really has been immense) and Baird (he may not leave for Australia until after Xmas).

I think we should be keeping a good number of the squad but we shouldn’t kid ourself we don’t need improvements to complete in the league above. If we’re starting Davo next season I’d fear for us, Baird likewise I’m afraid. We’ll need a replacement for Bowie as well. I’m sure McGlynn has his own ideas.

Just now, Rovers_Lad said:

Disagree,i,d be happy enough keeping both Davo and Baird..Think both are more than capable for the Championship

John Baird was finished when he was playing for us.

49 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I think we should be keeping a good number of the squad but we shouldn’t kid ourself we don’t need improvements to complete in the league above. If we’re starting Davo next season I’d fear for us, Baird likewise I’m afraid. We’ll need a replacement for Bowie as well. I’m sure McGlynn has his own ideas.

Completely agree. Depending on finances we need to strengthen. Remember we could be up against Hearts, ICT, Dunfermline, Dundee who will all have decent squads. We need IMO a keeper, left back as back up, a commanding centre half, a right back, a left sided midfielder and 3 strikers. Bowie, Baird, Anderson, Victoria and Allan will all be away. 

I would let Watson and Dingwall go along with Mendy who will never be given a chance and either release Davo or keep him as backup but certainly not 1st choice. 

Try and sign Anderson, perhaps McLean to add much needed experience and sign any others out of contract. 

In short release or lose 8 and sign 8.

Completely agree. Depending on finances we need to strengthen. Remember we could be up against Hearts, ICT, Dunfermline, Dundee who will all have decent squads. We need IMO a keeper, left back as back up, a commanding centre half, a right back, a left sided midfielder and 3 strikers. Bowie, Baird, Anderson, Victoria and Allan will all be away. 

I would let Watson and Dingwall go along with Mendy who will never be given a chance and either release Davo or keep him as backup but certainly not 1st choice. 

Try and sign Anderson, perhaps McLean to add much needed experience and sign any others out of contract. 

In short release or lose 8 and sign 8.

Yeah in total agreement here. Playing the likes of Dundee, Hearts and ICT is a massive step up from diddies like Forfar, Stranraer and Falkirk.

Baird was very good towards the end of the season. However it took him a good few months to get up to speed, and this lay off will be doing him no favours. 

Championship will be a huge step up for us compared to League 1, will be interesting to see how we get on. 

As some are saying of course it is all speculative comment until we know when the season might  be starting, but in the absence of anything concrete  to talk about now the seasoned finished why not eh?

My suggestion in retaining Davo and Baird was that there's a lot of experience there and if it wasn't to be a full season and they weren't to be 1st choices they could add to the squad.

Over the  season we had a squad of 28 at our disposal, 4 keepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 8 attackers. We have 9 players signed up for next season so to have similar numbers we need to be making around 20 signings (including loans).  Finances will dictate who we can and cant afford but given Macca is PT we will likely to keep the hybrid and bring in a couple more. Such a set up may suit the likes of Davo who may be happier to ramp down his career.... or he may just decide to go elsewhere for a PT contract.

Some great memories from those old games.

What I had managed to blank from my mind was what a terrible keeper Tam Carson was. Those videos bring it all back!
Was he our first choice keeper in 93/94? I can’t honestly remember if Gordon Arthur played in the premier or when we signed Scott Thomson.

Some great memories from those old games.

What I had managed to blank from my mind was what a terrible keeper Tam Carson was. Those videos bring it all back!
Was he our first choice keeper in 93/94? I can’t honestly remember if Gordon Arthur played in the premier or when we signed Scott Thomson.

They both played at the start and didn’t do particularly well. Scott Thomson was brought in about 6 games in. Made his debut in that Rangers game.

33 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

They both played at the start and didn’t do particularly well. Scott Thomson was brought in about 6 games in. Made his debut in that Rangers game.

I'm sure one of the fanzines at the time summed it up just right: "Thomson came in so it was Gogs to Forfar and Tam to the reserves"