The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

4:45 McHattie's free kick.

Big Jock made his debut that day, Simon struggled to get a pair of shorts to fit him.

What's surprising from that game is how Bobby Barr seemed to take Arbroath apart and 2 trialists both scored but were never given a run in competitive matches.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

That Vaughan montage is great. His goal against Queen of the South is a thing of absolute orgasmic beauty.

Probably better doing a list of my favourite goals. There's probably quite a few I've forgotten about but these are the one's that immediately come to mind.

* Bobby Sloan's free kick at home to Brechin.

* Gary Wales against Peterhead then his goal the following week against Brechin.

* Jay Stein's hat trick against Airdrie. From memory all 3 goals were peaches.

* Grant Murray's away to Dunfermline.

* Dargo's away to Dunfermline.

This could be a decent topic so I’ll float it here, too. I’m trying to work out what the best Rovers goal I’ve seen is - with the caveat that footage of it has to exist. That shouldn’t be a problem that every game has been filmed for the last 10 or so years and my memory beyond that isn’t great.

Ones I’ve thought of so far are Vaughan away to Queens where he volleys it right into the postage stamp and it clips the post and rolls round the back of the net, giving it at least an extra point on the aesthetic scale.

Vaughan again, scores a free kick in front of the McDermaid stand against a team in white strips (can’t work out who). Whips it right across the wrong side. Fully 30 yards.

Grant Murray away to the Pars. That volley.

McHattie away to Dundee Utd - which I think is my favourite.

Hit me with your best.

Still trying to find the video for Gary Wales’s belter against Peterhead in our title winning season. Bear with me!

It was Yaw and Andreas that were the scorers.

Right enough, I saw Coustrain and assumed it was him who’d be on trial. Thorson was a bizarre signing, did he play at all? We must’ve spent a fair chunk on him given we were housing and presumably feeding him as well as paying his wage.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Right enough, I saw Coustrain and assumed it was him who’d be on trial. Thorson was a bizarre signing, did he play at all? We must’ve spent a fair chunk on him given we were housing and presumably feeding him as well as paying his wage.

Andreas was an apprentice so probably wasn't on much of a wage.

Him, Yaw and another player? shared a flat near the Harbour Bar, I don't know if this was getting paid by the club or donated by a sponsor.

Andreas was an apprentice so probably wasn't on much of a wage.
Him, Yaw and another player? shared a flat near the Harbour Bar, I don't know if this was getting paid by the club or donated by a sponsor.
He came across from Hong Kong did he not? Would have thought we would have had to give him enough to live on at least.

Coustrain showed a bit of potential in the few chances he did get. I would have liked to have seen him get more of a chance.

Going back a few years and there's no footage of it but one that hasn't been mentioned yet was Martin Nelson's from just in front of the dugouts in our 4-1 thrashing of Motherwell in the 91-92 season. 

That match was possibly the first sign of what was to come under Nicholl.

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Going back a few years and there's no footage of it but one that hasn't been mentioned yet was Martin Nelson's from just in front of the dugouts in our 4-1 thrashing of Motherwell in the 91-92 season. 

That match was possibly the first sign of what was to come under Nicholl.

I thought Martin Nelson's effort was from just in front of the tunnel. Could be wrong.

Couple I remember but can't see footage.
Danny Lennon chipping the keeper at Dens Park, lord knows what year.
Scott Crabbe scoring a free kick at Starks Park.
Will investigate further and see if either of the above even actually happened.
I remember crabbe scoring a fk at starks, can't remember any specifics about it, but definitely remember it happened.

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:
6 minutes ago, HoustonRover said:

I remember crabbe scoring a fk at starks, can't remember any specifics about it, but definitely remember it happened.

He scored a couple v Falkirk in 2001/2002 at Starks according to some random ESPN thing.

30 minutes ago, grumswall said:
34 minutes ago, HoustonRover said:

Scored one against Arbroath. Think it was just after 9/11. Was the first game we had been to in years and caught the bug again. 

Ended up getting time off school to go up to Inverness the next mid week and we got an absolute doing.