The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This could be a decent topic so I’ll float it here, too. I’m trying to work out what the best Rovers goal I’ve seen is - with the caveat that footage of it has to exist. That shouldn’t be a problem that every game has been filmed for the last 10 or so years and my memory beyond that isn’t great.

Ones I’ve thought of so far are Vaughan away to Queens where he volleys it right into the postage stamp and it clips the post and rolls round the back of the net, giving it at least an extra point on the aesthetic scale.

Vaughan again, scores a free kick in front of the McDermaid stand against a team in white strips (can’t work out who). Whips it right across the wrong side. Fully 30 yards.

Grant Murray away to the Pars. That volley.

McHattie away to Dundee Utd - which I think is my favourite.

Hit me with your best.

James Craigen vs. Alloa 2015. Ball comes out of the box, he chests it and volleys it into the far top corner...

33 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m looking for a bit of help. I’m after footage of a free kick Brian Graham scored for us. I’m sure it was in a cup game, towards the south stand from about 30 yards.

Edit: never mind. It was v Deveronvale.

This could be a decent topic so I’ll float it here, too. I’m trying to work out what the best Rovers goal I’ve seen is - with the caveat that footage of it has to exist. That shouldn’t be a problem that every game has been filmed for the last 10 or so years and my memory beyond that isn’t great.

Ones I’ve thought of so far are Vaughan away to Queens where he volleys it right into the postage stamp and it clips the post and rolls round the back of the net, giving it at least an extra point on the aesthetic scale.

Vaughan again, scores a free kick in front of the McDermaid stand against a team in white strips (can’t work out who). Whips it right across the wrong side. Fully 30 yards.

Grant Murray away to the Pars. That volley.

McHattie away to Dundee Utd - which I think is my favourite.

Hit me with your best.

Gary Wales v Paterhead off the top of my head, Murray against the pars would be a close runner up

As soon as he struck it, well before it hit the net my mate said "that's in...". You just knew with his form he'd do it.

As for the best goal with footage, Wales against Peterhead is definitely up there. Craigen's effort is well worth a mention. Rory McKeown's 30 yarder against Morton was aesthetically pleasing as the deflection doesn't really show.

Dalziel's flying header at Cappielow which broke Willie Penman's club scoring record. 

Three weeks earlier, Craig Brewster rescued a point late on at Somerset with a beauty which dipped at the last second, but unfortunately I haven't ever seen footage of it. 

A few goals worth a mention here in recent years:

Jimmy Craigen’s at home to Alloa

Scott Robert’s at home to Dumbarton

McHattie away to Dundee United

Jordan Thompson away to Dundee United

But number 1 for me has to be Joe Cardle home to St Johnstone in the Scottish cup. Absolutely sublime from him from about 35 yards out.

That Vaughan montage is great. His goal against Queen of the South is a thing of absolute orgasmic beauty.

Probably better doing a list of my favourite goals. There's probably quite a few I've forgotten about but these are the one's that immediately come to mind.

* Bobby Sloan's free kick at home to Brechin.

* Gary Wales against Peterhead then his goal the following week against Brechin.

* Jay Stein's hat trick against Airdrie. From memory all 3 goals were peaches.

* Grant Murray's away to Dunfermline.

* Dargo's away to Dunfermline.

3 hours ago, dysartrovers said:

Davie Sinclair rattled in a cracker against Airdrie back in 94 I think that sticks in my mind. Will have a look for footage. Might have been boxing day

Yeah I was talking about that one on the thread just last week, last minute winner that kickstarted the winning run that took us to the title.

3 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Jimmy Nicholl against Dundee Utd at Starks Park. I don’t have the footage but I know it’s out there somewhere...

Another last-minuter if it's the one I'm thinking of? Equaliser in a 1-1 draw?