The New Raith Rovers Thread

IIRC it was the compensation that Alloa wanted for Jack Ross that proved to be the stumbling block. Not ITK but would have assumed it to be substantial as Mike Mulraney is a very astute business man. My memory may be wrong.
Would have probably been better to spend a few k to get him than lose a few hundred employing locke. With hindsight it was short sighted and most likely the cheaper option on wages aswell.

To be fair, I don’t think many folk on here would have been overly enthused if we had appointed Mcglynn to replace Ray McKinnon. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t want Calderon back. He was able to bring in some fantastic foreign players to win us league 1 but I don’t think that would suit us nowadays.

4 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

To be fair, I don’t think many folk on here would have been overly enthused if we had appointed Mcglynn to replace Ray McKinnon. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t want Calderon back. He was able to bring in some fantastic foreign players to win us league 1 but I don’t think that would suit us nowadays.

IIRC there were a good number of posters on here and Fantalk that were if not completely underwhelmed at the very least less than enthused when Locke was announced, even to the extent that one or two suggested McGlynn would be a safer pair of hands......though nobody said more exciting.

Calderón had us playing good passing football just like mcglynn has tried to instil in us. It obviously could have gone wrong but we could also have found ourselves with paco mk2. I probably wouldn't have taken Calderón back though. He's been out of the game over here for too long, although it would have been nice for him to get a better go of it than he did last time with how things ended.

2 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

Lewis' lob and Brad Spencer for me. 

4 hours ago, michaeljohnstone said:

Bobby Barr and Vaughany have said that Yogi destroyed any confidence that was left in that dressing room.

I watched the interview Ryan Stevenson did with Open Goal recently. Seemingly before one of the games, Yogi had a flip chart where he was covering over tactics and stuff...he turns the page and the next one has a giant cock on it. Seemingly only a few people found it funny. 

Today actually marks two years since that final game of the season to Alloa. In an absolutely bizarre way, we dodged a bullet in that it eventually led to Smith walking early in the next season. Had we been promoted, we'd have undoubtedly been better off financially but we'd be playing some utterly rotten football. We'd probably still have jobbers like McHattie playing for us covering over a very poor season with a manager who was out his depth. 

While the last two seasons have been shite, we've been excellent this season. We've cleared out the majority of the dross players and made some excellent additions to build a team around. Some of the games have hurt but Ayr and Arbroath have shown the league above is one which can be adapted to. 

30 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Today actually marks two years since that final game of the season to Alloa. In an absolutely bizarre way, we dodged a bullet in that it eventually led to Smith walking early in the next season. Had we been promoted, we'd have undoubtedly been better off financially but we'd be playing some utterly rotten football. We'd probably still have jobbers like McHattie playing for us covering over a very poor season with a manager who was out his depth. 

While the last two seasons have been shite, we've been excellent this season. We've cleared out the majority of the dross players and made some excellent additions to build a team around. Some of the games have hurt but Ayr and Arbroath have shown the league above is one which can be adapted to. 

I'm convinced Smith would have parted company with the club even if Vaughan had scored against Alloa and we'd gone up, perhaps not straight away but I doubt he'd have lasted the season. Regarding the jobber McHattie, I thought he was unfortunate with injuries with us and although I was never a fan we have to acknowledge that unlike the rest of those from Lockes tenure he could yet be plying his trade in the SPL next season.

I heartily agree that we could make an Ayr or Arbroath like impact in the Championship, in fact with a few shrewd acquisitions perhaps we could even do a Livvi.

I'm convinced Smith would have parted company with the club even if Vaughan had scored against Alloa and we'd gone up, perhaps not straight away but I doubt he'd have lasted the season. Regarding the jobber McHattie, I thought he was unfortunate with injuries with us and although I was never a fan we have to acknowledge that unlike the rest of those from Lockes tenure he could yet be plying his trade in the SPL next season.
I heartily agree that we could make an Ayr or Arbroath like impact in the Championship, in fact with a few shrewd acquisitions perhaps we could even do a Livvi.
Did he invent a time machine...

Sorry to be THAT guy.

Speaking of mchattie, he was pretty awful defensively but decent enough going forward. So it begs the question, why have Inverness used him at cb? Seems such an unnatural move for him.

To be fair, they have finished second in the championship with that tactic. Maybe we missed a trick there?

Nah didn’t think so.

In your time supporting Raith what would be your top 3 Rovers managers in order. This isn't just based on trophy's but style of play, youth coming through, circumstances etc..

1. JIMMY NICHOLL

2. JOHN McGLYNN

3 FRANK CONNOR.

I'd prob expect these managers to be in the majority of people's top three but in what order and why..

5 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Didn't Calderon say in his q&a that he had applied for the job in the last few years? Chances of him, McGlynn and Ross all being rejected for Gary F Locke?

Shows the type of muppets that have been in charge at Starks.

6 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

In your time supporting Raith what would be your top 3 Rovers managers in order. This isn't just based on trophy's but style of play, youth coming through, circumstances etc..

1. JIMMY NICHOLL

2. JOHN McGLYNN

3 FRANK CONNOR.

I'd prob expect these managers to be in the majority of people's top three but in what order and why..

I would add Gordon Wallace and Andy Matthew to the list of good guys.

*I know you said top 3

12 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

1. JIMMY NICHOLL

2. JOHN McGLYNN

3 FRANK CONNOR.

Jimmy Nicholl, John McGlynn, toni Calderón. 

I class Mcglynn very close to Nicholl. Obviously nowhere near the glory days, but he inherited an absolute shambles both times and turned things round through hard graft.  We've also had a new generation of young fans come on board during his second tenure. 

Can't however ignore the glory days. I was only a wee lad, but will never ever forget my Dad's reaction to finding out we had drawn Bayern. Nor will I forget half the A90 beeping horns on the way down to the European games with the scarves on show in the car. Genuinely feel for Rovers fans who weren't around to experience that.  That will never ever happen again, so Nicholl deserved his place really for that. 

Loved Calderdons seasons too. 

Edited by CALDERON

6 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

1. JIMMY NICHOLL

2. JOHN McGLYNN

3 FRANK CONNOR.

Probably the same order for me.

I only got the fag end of Connor’s time but he did a sort of McGlynn job in taking Rovers from the third tier to the second tier, keeping them there and consolidating us as a top half side in the second tier.

Nicholl got us to the top tier twice, our first major trophy and a run in Europe. If this is ever topped it’ll be some achievement. Undoubtedly the most successful manager Rovers have ever had and the Football was excellent too.

McGlynn is second to Nicholl for me. Got us promoted, consolidated and gave us a chance at a return to the top tier. Now he’s got us promoted again. 

4 hours ago, Roath Raver said:

Lewis’s lob against Peterhead for goal of the season.

Toss up between MacDonald and Hendry for player of the season. Hendry is undoubtedly our star player but I just felt MacDonald was more consistent.