The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

It’s absolutely down to Mcglynn and Smith.

It cannot be overstated. Look at what happened to Falkirk, with an experienced team that basically shat the bed. For some reason (Messrs McG and Smith) we didn’t have that prob,em, and instead had veterans who led (and one, who unfortunately leads with a mouth sometimes too) and recruited a couple of injections of true steel for a team that badly needed them. It’s obvious that we underestimated (either or both) JMcG’s understanding of players mental states and his connections to a number of teams/players.

While I truly hate his love for four backs over five, I can put that down to my stubbornness and stupidity after seeing the master class JMcG (and PS) put in this year in keeping an injury decimated squad on top for almost the whole season. I don’t expect nearly as smooth a season in the Championship, no matter how it plays out with regard to schedule. I just hope the team see fit to remember what has been done and allows JMcG some breathing room to get Raith established in the Championship.

It cannot be overstated. Look at what happened to Falkirk, with an experienced team that basically shat the bed. For some reason (Messrs McG and Smith) we didn’t have that prob,em, and instead had veterans who led (and one, who unfortunately leads with a mouth sometimes too) and recruited a couple of injections of true steel for a team that badly needed them. It’s obvious that we underestimated (either or both) JMcG’s understanding of players mental states and his connections to a number of teams/players.
While I truly hate his love for four backs over five, I can put that down to my stubbornness and stupidity after seeing the master class JMcG (and PS) put in this year in keeping an injury decimated squad on top for almost the whole season. I don’t expect nearly as smooth a season in the Championship, no matter how it plays out with regard to schedule. I just hope the team see fit to remember what has been done and allows JMcG some breathing room to get Raith established in the Championship.
You hit on a good point there. Mcglynn and smudger built a squad capable of playing a few different formations and more importantly playing them well. I'm a big fan of mcglynn and was glad to see him back at the club despite all the negativity that came with him trying to mount a title challenge with the dross Smith had signed. The fact he has now twice got us producing good talented young players is just another reason to love the guy.

36 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Next up on the Q&A, Big Nade. You’ve played for a few clubs in Scotland, which was your favourite?

Nade.JPG.f0348c417f3da3be581df2bd1c92d523.JPG

He'll only have one answer for that:

9c4e7dd1b3592458e8bd692e628b3f89ab9b1555

12 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Looking back, obviously nobody could have expected the league  would have ended under such horrendous circumstances but the signings of Steven Anderson and MacLean were our most vital and got us into our position to win the league. Anderson provided a bit of grit in defence and we looked a lot more confident and composed at the back. I can't speak highly enough of Steven MacLean though. He came in and offered something completely different.

:wub:

I have always been confident McGlynn was the right man for the job. The only slight concerns I had were after the first East Fife game this season but he quickly corrected things with Steven Anderson.

I was a huge fan of McGlynn first time around and always thought he would get us promotion but I’ll admit I didn’t see him achieving that by being the best footballing team in the league. Full credit to him and Paul Smith for that.

There are a lot of similarities to his last spell in terms of a youthful squad sprinkled with some good experience, great togetherness and a squad that looks fit and fully committed. However, the style of football is far superior and I don’t think he gets enough credit for that. Especially considering the eye bleeding hoofball rubbish he inherited from Barry Smith.

I have always been confident McGlynn was the right man for the job. The only slight concerns I had were after the first East Fife game this season but he quickly corrected things with Steven Anderson.
I was a huge fan of McGlynn first time around and always thought he would get us promotion but I’ll admit I didn’t see him achieving that by being the best footballing team in the league. Full credit to him and Paul Smith for that.
There are a lot of similarities to his last spell in terms of a youthful squad sprinkled with some good experience, great togetherness and a squad that looks fit and fully committed. However, the style of football is far superior and I don’t think he gets enough credit for that. Especially considering the eye bleeding hoofball rubbish he inherited from Barry Smith.
I think the board should take a bit of credit for providing mcglynn with the extra cash (or the external sources etc) Mcglynns teams weren't pretty on the eye first time around and were basically built off of a solid foundation with a punt into the channel, then press. Basically what Smith attempted while having two of the best penalty box poachers in the lower leagues, that he spunked a large part of his budget on... The quality of player we can attract now is superior. Hendry is a prime example. He should have been in the championship last season. Through a mixture of our management team and fan support he came to us, on a two year deal. I'd imagine he is still one of our highest earners but it was a bit of a coup to get him last summer.

We didn't look back after signing Anderson. Even though he didn't play after November really, it totally changed the defence and the mentality. 

Mcglynn built the best team in the league, and he deserves huge credit for that. He also made supporting the Rovers fun again. Summed up by the semi final against Partick. I wasn't massively fussed about the tournament, saw it really as an excuse for a half day. However the atmosphere was bouncing and the players showed a real desire, and it ended up being a lot of fun. 

Can't wait for when football does come back, as for the first time in a while it feels like we have a genuine rapport between the club/players and the fans. That was there last time McGlynn was in charge, and it's really no coincidence. It's rare to have a manager at this level who isn't purely using the job as a stepping stone for bigger things. Actually feels like there are plans to build on something. 

Probably fair to say that we've had a bit of luck the way it all ended. That said, we were getting results and not following the pattern of the previous two seasons. 

The team certainly seems to have some of that resilience the McGlynn teams of old had about them. That doesn't just come back overnight and I think it's fair to say it's taken some time to instill in the team regardless. However we have a platform to build from whenever the game returns and we've put the misery of the last couple of seasons to bed. 

This league is an utter b*****d of a place. It sucks the life out of you and can very quickly lead to a malaise which is very hard to get out of (which is where I think we were) . Fair to say we had our moments during the season, but some key signings finally provided the confidence boost we needed to shake off the problems and start looking up again. It took time ke for the McGlynn characteristics of old to reappear, but I think they came though in the end. 

The main thing is that we're back in the Championship. Coronavirus has put the shitters right up the entire game, but we really need to be in the Championship for the club's financial health. Naturally COVID-19 makes it precarious again but that's totally outside our control - not so with the league that we play in. 

Fingers crossed we can get back sometime this year. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Probably fair to say that we've had a bit of luck the way it all ended.

Given our luck in the previous 3 seasons:

2016-17 No penalty awards for 12 months, Keeper injuries, The Dobie goal that wasn't and above all GARY F*****G LOCKE then Yogi.

2017-18  Baz Smith, more injuries, the width of the post against Alloa

2018-19 Even more injuries Vaughan, Bene, Hendry, Thomson then losing Nizzy for FA.

Even this season. we had a rake of injuries (LV, RH, SA,)

IMO we were due a wee break.

22 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Has anyone seen oor Frank post lately? He said he was on the front line and I haven't seen him post, so hope he's doing alright. I'm on the app so can't check when he was last logged in etc.

Last post was April 16, “last visit” was about 30 minutes before you asked.

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

I'm gona miss Frank.

The rest of you are a bunch of wanks.

x

I'm still hopeful of a 14 team set up which will hopefully have you polluting this thread again in the new season (whenever that is), you could add to/help dilute the verbal pish that V'ton will undoubtedly be boring us with.

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

I'm still hopeful of a 14 team set up which will hopefully have you polluting this thread again in the new season (whenever that is), you could add to/help dilute the verbal pish that V'ton will undoubtedly be boring us with.

Fingers crossed Scotty  boy. You know it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

Fingers crossed Scotty  boy. You know it makes sense.

Poor Stevo, you must know it'd be done through no great love of you lot, the simple logistics of it are to me that a 14 team league paying twice (which I not only like but reckon that's all there will be time for) would in a shortened campaign mean 13 home games and so could will work out better than a 10 team where there might only be 9 home games.  Financially East Fife will of course bring a better support. Not to mention that in avoiding relegation it'd help having another 4 also rans in the league all of whom finished below Falkirk (and us champions ) 😉