The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Any ideas or rumours about the new strip design?

I really liked this years. More funky back to the 90s shiny bits please. Had enough of tidy minimalist navy blue tops. 

On 24/04/2020 at 06:18, Ro Sham Bo said:

Weir did well for us in the 3rd tier but failed to score a single goal in the 2nd tier. He was less effective than Jamie Mole at that level. 

On 24/04/2020 at 14:06, Yoss said:

Might be something in that.

Though in general there's a danger of reading too much into such things. Players have good seasons or bad seasons in the normal course of things for all kinds of reasons - when it happens to involve a change of division there's a tendency to look for some such narrative to explain it.

Graham Weir was still an important player when we went up. 

He was especially effective at helping us see games out as his team mates knew they could ease any pressure on them by lumping balls into the corner for Weir to chase down. 

Not pretty but definitely effective. 

5 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Watching the Partick game, and I really do think Dylan Tait is a more exciting prospect than Bowie. 

Worth remembering he's a couple of years older than Bowie, but certainly looks the part. 

Hendry's goal against Partick was a thing of beauty. You can never tire of watching skill and composure like that. 

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

Worth remembering he's a couple of years older than Bowie, but certainly looks the part. 

Hendry's goal against Partick was a thing of beauty. You can never tire of watching skill and composure like that. 

Main thing for me is Tait has slotted in straight away and been absolute class. Bowie has done very well for his age, but is still a bit raw. 

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

He's 10 months older but agree he looks real quality at 18.

6 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Main thing for me is Tait has slotted in straight away and been absolute class. Bowie has done very well for his age, but is still a bit raw. 

100% agree. I was convinced Tait needed a chance, but even I was surprised at how aware he seems to be already. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised it Tait develops into an even better version of Hendry. He’s had the advantage of watching Vaughan and Hendry, seeing Baird’s tricks and Spencer and Matthews work ethics, heck, even Dingwall’s occasional vision and passes. I feel sure he’s lapped up advise from SAndo and MacLean too. Not to disparage the teams Hendry developed with, but with the kind of support Tait, and Bowie, have had...

Now, about Jack Smith... 

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

100% agree. I was convinced Tait needed a chance, but even I was surprised at how aware he seems to be already. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised it Tait develops into an even better version of Hendry. He’s had the advantage of watching Vaughan and Hendry, seeing Baird’s tricks and Spencer and Matthews work ethics, heck, even Dingwall’s occasional vision and passes. I feel sure he’s lapped up advise from SAndo and MacLean too. Not to disparage the teams Hendry developed with, but with the kind of support Tait, and Bowie, have had...

Now, about Jack Smith... 

Looking back, obviously nobody could have expected the league  would have ended under such horrendous circumstances but the signings of Steven Anderson and MacLean were our most vital and got us into our position to win the league. Anderson provided a bit of grit in defence and we looked a lot more confident and composed at the back. I can't speak highly enough of Steven MacLean though. He came in and offered something completely different. He's lapped up offering a physical presence up top and having another experienced partner in Baird come onto a game helped us get over the line. 

Both came across as willing to do anything and everything to win games. Hopefully this rubs off on the likes of Tait and Bowie moving forward in their careers. I've got absolute faith in McGlynn to get the best out of Jack Smith - they've already got him doing additional work for strength and conditioning to stop the niggling injuries. Hopefully we start to see the best of him moving forwards. He was excellent in our first game against Clyde (in fairness, that was our best footballing display this season). 

still think this is the best crop of youngsters we have had come through since the early 90's

Sure we have the odd one come through like Dargo but we seem to have new potential every season in the first team. All thanks to Mcglynn and Smith

Tony Rougier answering questions on the Q&A now. Loved big Tony. Great player in a great side. Had Gazza in his back pocket, scored that free kick at Celtic Park, and that miss in Munich, all covered in questions.

A few more cult figures like Armand One would be good.