The New Raith Rovers Thread

Here’s my humble opinion.
I’d release Thomson and McGurn (as a player, keep as coach). Munro is out of contract at Ross County and he can only get better. Remember McGurn when he was young at Morton? Hardly a star and look how he turned out.
Davo has some role to play, probably as a backup but I could see him, Bene and Sando being our back three if McGlynn goes back to it’s. I’d like to see Mendy given a chance in preseason, whenever that will be. MacDonald and Miller need to stay, but we need a backup LB if Watson departs. Victoria will definitely be away, and as much as it hurts to say, I can’t see Anderson being here either, as much as I want him to stay. Matthews is nail on to get an extension, and if I’m not mistaking Spencer is under contract. If the Armstrong who came in last season is the Armstrong we get in the Championship, then 100% he stays. If Allan has recovered from his illness then McGlynn will probably give him a chance. Tait, Coulson and Smith will be most likely be given sub appearances in the Championship. Baird won’t be here, but I hope MacLean will be.

2 minutes ago, michaeljohnstone said:

I’d release Thomson and McGurn (as a player, keep as coach). Munro is out of contract at Ross County and he can only get better. Remember McGurn when he was young at Morton? Hardly a star and look how he turned out.
Davo has some role to play, probably as a backup but I could see him, Bene and Sando being our back three if McGlynn goes back to it’s. I’d like to see Mendy given a chance in preseason, whenever that will be. MacDonald and Miller need to stay, but we need a backup LB if Watson departs. Victoria will definitely be away, and as much as it hurts to say, I can’t see Anderson being here either, as much as I want him to stay. Matthews is nail on to get an extension, and if I’m not mistaking Spencer is under contract. If the Armstrong who came in last season is the Armstrong we get in the Championship, then 100% he stays. If Allan has recovered from his illness then McGlynn will probably give him a chance. Tait, Coulson and Smith will be most likely be given sub appearances in the Championship. Baird won’t be here, but I hope MacLean will be.

I agree RE Davo. I still think he's more than capable in a back 3. From what the young players say about him, he sounds like he's a good role model (if you can believe that). Even if he's kept in some kind of backup role, I still think he has a part to play.

Thomson is a better 'keeper than munro at this stage. It would make sense to register mcgurn as a player just in case aswell. It's no secret I'm not davo's biggest fan but if we had been in league 1 I'd have kept him for next season. I can't see him being any use in the championship though. Bene and mckay are a good starting base for our cbs. If we can get Anderson signed and another I'd be happy enough. Miller is a decent option at rb but I'd want someone else in to provide competition. I also wouldn't want another season without competition/ backup for macdonald. Our cms are all good enough and I'd happily keep Armstrong if we can get him fit from the off. Him and Vaughan on the wings should work a treat. Smith has a bit of potential but needs a run of games so either a loan move again or a few off the bench to give him a chance to show his worth.

I'm not going into a release list as every player has contributed to our promotion and it feels a bit early to be doing that.

2 hours ago, Bandohope said:

Kevin Nichol was the last signing for Kenny Dalglish at Celtic

Not sure where now but was coaching in Norway/ Sweden

Different Kevin Nichol I think, our one was Kevin Nicol and after a few years at Hibs he went to Norway, back for a brief run out at Peterhead then has been in Norway ever since.

Ideally:

GK: Thompson, get Munro, Bow, McGurn (Coach/registered backup)

Backs: New signing at RB with Watson covering; MacDonald at LB with a new signing to cover; Bene, SAndo, McKay, at CB, with Davo as reserve cover/coach. Mendy in preseason to see if he’s ready, if he’s not, a loan to League One and find another CB to sign for cover.

Mid: Hendry, Tait, Spencer and Matthews to pick between for starters. Armstrong, keep if healthy, Coulson might be a reserve, depending on development level. GAndo disappeared, so I don’t see him moving up and Dingwall is an enigma...some sublime passes, but not enough...I’m just not sure. Probably need a good defensive mid signing, if we’re playing JMcG’s preferred four back.

Forwards: Smith and Vaughan...both injury prone. Would kill to get MacLean back again, just like SAndo, adds steel and experience you can’t afford to lack. Need a couple of proven forwards, and I’m sorry but Allan just isn’t an option, in my opinion.

Edited by TxRover

6 hours ago, RaithRover123 said:

Doesn’t matter anyway all our best players have a year left on their contracts and Bowie is away to Fulham, so looks like the pars will be relegated if nisbet goes 😁

2 points on that.

1,  IIRC our best player still had a year on his contract last year too. 😪

2, If Nisbet does go I think it'll now be be for a lot less than they were offered in January. 🤣

14 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Different Kevin Nichol I think, our one was Kevin Nicol and after a few years at Hibs he went to Norway, back for a brief run out at Peterhead then has been in Norway ever since.

Agree he's in Norway but positive about signing for Celtic