The New Raith Rovers Thread

31 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Now the dust has settled a bit congratulations to the rovers for their title win.Not they would have wanted to fo it but hey ho not your fault.Hooe you enjoyed your days out in Montrose!

Best away day in the league as far as I'm concerned.

38 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Now the dust has settled a bit congratulations to the rovers for their title win.Not they would have wanted to fo it but hey ho not your fault.Hooe you enjoyed your days out in Montrose!

I have remembered very little of any of my trips to Montrose, especially the last one.

Great day out. 

46 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Had a great thali at Stroma for lunch.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Obviously everyone will be busy with a lot of things just now but would be great if it was possible get another Raith TV interview with Bill Clark next week at some point. The league prize money should be paid out today which seems to be anywhere between 50-70k depending on who you believe. Between various fund raisers and donations we must have brought in close to an additional 60k since this began, that is without including the monthly supporters fund. A fantastic effort from all involved.

In addition to this we have the rumoured 150k for Bowie, hopefully still coming in July. After Clark’s comments about administration on July/August it would be great to get some clarity regarding what monthly costs the club still have while the players are furloughed and what date he thinks we are now covered until. I hope some of his comments were more to put pressure on the vote but I don’t doubt every club is going to find it difficult to survive when I fear we may not play another game this year.

Will be interesting to see what happens regarding player and management contracts also. The furlough scheme only covers current players so there won’t be any new signings till we know for certain when the season will begin. However, any contract extensions must be agreed before the current contract expiry and if a player signs an improved contract he would still only get 80% of his previous wage I believe. Obviously we normally look this time of year at releasing some players too.

I am not sure how it works with released players but I am not particularly comfortable with any of the current squad, whether they are good enough for the championship or not, being left with potentially 5-6 months without income if we release them and nobody is signing new players till we have clarity over the new season. I hope something can be put in place for released players to protect them in some way.

What about cash from Nisbet tribunal whenever it sits

49 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Get the new contract/extensions sorted asap for the current players we want to keep then we'll just have to tread through the minefield that will be the transfer window just like every other club.

I agree.

I'd definitely re-sign:     Thomson, Bene, McKay, Armstrong, Matthews, 

Probably re-sign:   Watson, Dingwall,

Questioinable:     Davo?, Miller? Ando?

Offer new signing contracts to:  Steven Anderson, Steven McLean, Ross Munro (if released by RCFC), Baird if he's staying in UK until January),

Positions needed GK, RB, LB, CB,RW, Striker x3

Release/Losing: Allan, Victoria, Baird, Bowie

Players still under contract for 2020-21, Bow, Mendy, McDonald, Coulson, Hendry, Tait, Spencer, Smith, Vaughan.

I agree.
I'd definitely re-sign:     Thomson, Bene, McKay, Armstrong, Matthews, 
Probably re-sign:   Watson, Dingwall,
Questioinable:     Davo?, Miller? Ando?
Offer new signing contracts to:  Steven Anderson, Steven McLean, Ross Munro (if released by RCFC), Baird if he's staying in UK until January),
Positions needed GK, RB, LB, CB,RW, Striker x3
Release/Losing: Allan, Victoria, Baird, Bowie

Players still under contract for 2020-21, Bow, Mendy, McDonald, Coulson, Hendry, Tait, Spencer, Smith, Vaughan.

I’d keep Miller and get rid of Watson, Dingwall, Davo and Ando.

I cant argue with your definitely re-sign list.

Think we have to remember we’ll be playing in the Championship next season so bit-part League 1 players won’t cut it in my opinion.

Unreal that we have likely over 60k raised. Brilliant, brilliant effort.

I don't want this to come across wrong but I feel like the message of the just giving page is far from ideal. The message is:

"A huge heartfelt thanks to everyone who has donated towards our total. To raise such an amount when people are facing their own financial uncertainty during this unprecedented crisis is even more amazing. Raith Rovers FC will continue to face challenges the longer the lockdown continues. Your support has been crucial in ensuring our survival. A new target will not be set but the page will remain live for those wishing to make further donations. Thank you. Andy"

I think it is underwhelming and lacks the positivity we need. Saying support 'has been' rather than 'has been and will continue to be' gives over the 'job done' impression and may kill much needed momentum. We know with social distancing that football crowds are unlikely this side of Christmas, so we will need donations over the next 8 or so months (in addition to people buying shirts and season tickets). I think a 'let's keep rallying round' message is needed and hope that the initial message is edited. Andy, if you read this mate, please take this as constructive feedback rather than any criticism - all comments are aimed at the main goal: helping the Rovers!

Also : Pump it up

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

I think we need a significant turnover of staff to do well in the Championship.

I would get rid of Thomson and Munro, neither are good enough for the Championship.

In defence Watson, McKay and Davidson wouldn't make the cut and I would try and release Mendy if at all possible.

In midfield Dingwall, Anderson and Victoria would be released. Probably Armstrong as well although I'm in two minds about him.

Up front Allan would be released while Baird and Bowie will be leaving anyway.

Of our loan players, I don't think Anderson and MacLean will have much to offer in the Championship at their age so I wouldn't be pursuing either of them.

Steven Anderson will stroll the championship.
I see absolutely zero reason for not keeping the part time players. We've made this model work for us and there's no real reason to stop it. I'm sure McGlynn will think McGurn, Miller and Anderson can offer us something.
No real need to comment on MacDonald or Victoria.
I'd imagine more clubs will adopt our structure, but it's good to know we can attract players both part and full time whenever the window opens.

I would get rid of Thomson and Munro, neither are good enough for the Championship.
In defence Watson, McKay and Davidson wouldn't make the cut and I would try and release Mendy if at all possible.
In midfield Dingwall, Anderson and Victoria would be released. Probably Armstrong as well although I'm in two minds about him.
Of our loan players, I don't think Anderson and MacLean will have much to offer in the Championship at their age so I wouldn't be pursuing either of them.

I think your right about Thomson and Munro. I’d love it if we could sign Marc McCallum or David Hutton. Outstanding goalies of you ask me. We might not have a chance in Hell right enough

The approach to signing/not signing players will be interesting if we get to June without a sign of when the club can start earning income again. The immediate issues are gone, but if spectators can't attend there will be trouble on the horizon again. 

Too early to think about this. The club (and indeed others) need to think very carefully about how this will be approached. 

27 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So, basically anyone not already tied down?

I'm well up for keeping the hybrid approach going, as we did when we came back up last time in 09.

I don't think Davo has got a championship season left in him, and I don't think Watson is good enough. I still think McKay is a decent player and if we could get Anderson that would be a complimentary set of centre halves. 

I'd definitely keep MacDonald but less sure on Miller, he has been solid rather than spectacular on that side, and though he adds a lot of height I think we always did look more pedestrian on that side.

Armstrong, if he wants to stay, then all up for that. We were starting to see the best of him before the premature end to the season there and I'd like to see him in the championship. Not even so much for his running game, but when you actually see him as a playmaker he has a great vision for a pass.

I have absolutely no idea about Dingwall, I love that he is basically a troll with a running gait like a gazelle with wooden legs, but is that enough? Probably not.

Grant Anderson gives you plenty of effort and obviously loves it here, but league 1 is probably his limit, and his game time was constrained towards the end. Victoria will obviously be released.

I actually would take McLean back if possible. Yeah he's getting on but he'd still be useful, gives plenty of experience, good height and a great finisher.

I dont think either of our goalies are stand out.

So, I think we largely need to remodel the forward line and right side of the pitch in terms of new players.

Given the likely sustained financial pressures we will face as a result of the COVID-19 situation, I would argue that moving away from the hybrid model would be highly irresponsible of the club. 

I know it's not ideal for the Championship, but we would not be the only club with part-time players in there. It definitely makes sense to stick with it in the immediate future. 

Edited by Michael W

4 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I think your right about Thomson and Munro. I’d love it if we could sign Marc McCallum or David Hutton. Outstanding goalies of you ask me. We might not have a chance in Hell right enough

We need to free up space in the squad to bring in a quality of player that will take us up a level to compete in the Championship. A new goalkeeper, a right back, centre half are must to strengthen the backline. We still  concede to many cheap goals. Midfield we need a left sided player and upfront we will need at least 3 strikers, as Baird and Bowie will be away and although Vaughan should be fit we have to protect him as much as we can as I have a fear he may breakdown again, but hoping he has a very successful season. 

Release, Watson, Mendy, Davo, Dingwall, Anderson, Victoria, Baird and Allan with Bowie away as well. Loan players I would keep Steven Anderson, but would not keep Munro or McLean. That would allow us to bring in up to 10 new players to compliment, Armstrong, Miller, McKay, McDonald, Bene, Thomson, Hendry, Spencer, Matthews, Tait, Smith and Vaughan. 

That could be a  very good squad with the right players signed and quality loan players brought in.

Given the likely sustained financial pressures we will face as a result of the COVID-19 situation, I would argue that moving away from the hybrid model would be highly irresponsible of the club. 

I know it's not idea for the Championship, but we would not be the only club with part-time players in there. It definitely makes sense to stick with it in the immediate future. 

You’ll probably find, a lot of clubs in the championship might go down this route with the way things are going. ETA in regards to a hybrid model like ours.