The New Raith Rovers Thread

All teams knew it was 28 days they were asked if they could to return it within 5 days, which most did, but left the door open for the utter shambles we then witnessed.     

Edited by Wildrover

47 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Interesting stats.  However, it would be interesting to know out of the 14/15, 9/10 and 8/10 scenarios, how many league leaders who were top after those 28 games were only a single point ahead at that stage...   When was the title last snatched from a league leader to a second-placed team on the final day? (excluding obvious examples at SPL level). 

Ayr overhauling us 2 seasons ago when we drew 0 0 at home to Alloa on final weekend. Ayr looked home and hosed but wobbled on the second and third last games to let us pinch the lead.

54 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I'd been to plenty of games that season but the player who celebrated most enthusiastically on the pitch afterwards, doing pitch slides to the south stand and everything, was someone I didn't even recognise. Turned out to be some Spanish chap who'd played about once.

He’s the one going taps aff, in all the photos, wearing a Spanish flag like a cape. Had a vague memory that that was his first game for the Rovers and he was maybe a right back? Checked the bible (Always Next Season) and I think he must be Valdez. That was indeed his first appearance for the Rovers but it looks as though he was an unused sub. He played, in midfield, a couple of days later in the Fife Cup and then started the final game of the season away to Dumbarton. Yet there he is, front and centre of every photo 😂

Just now, Nairney said:

He’s the one going taps aff, in all the photos, wearing a Spanish flag like a cape. Had a vague memory that that was his first game for the Rovers and he was maybe a right back? Checked the bible (Always Next Season) and I think he must be Valdez. That was indeed his first appearance for the Rovers but it looks as though he was an unused sub. He played, in midfield, a couple of days later in the Fife Cup and then started the final game of the season away to Dumbarton. Yet there he is, front and centre of every photo 😂

I'm sure he got sent off against Brechin away. 

Ironically that day, we were denied promotion by a wonder save from a certain Scott Thomson. 

2 minutes ago, Nairney said:

Yeah, that all sounds familiar now.

1 hour ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Really. Not when the SPFL announced they wanted every club's response by 5pm Friday.  Looks a lot like manipulation now. Why didn't Doncaster simply come out and state quite clearly that there was a 28 day period?       

Our chairman certainly knew that it wasn't a Friday deadline.

As discussed constantly we have obviously benefited greatly from the current situation and whilst we may not ‘deserve’ the title, the situation is unique and we are certainly the most ‘deserving’ team in the league.

I also stand by the fact I believe it is fairer to write off the next 8 games than the previous 28. Hard to say but I genuinely believe this would still be my position if we swapped places with Falkirk especially given the positions of the other Leagues. I think Dundee United and Cove are more deserving of promotion than Stranraer are of being saved from relegation. Although I still hope an agreement can be reached for 2 up and no relegation. Although you run the risk of upsetting others in a play off place who miss out, after all 1st place guarantees you promotion but 2nd only gets you the same as 3rd and 4th.

To cure the boredom I did a bit of research of how leagues have looked after 28 games compared to the end of the season at each level over the last few years. The results were as follows:

Scottish Championship - The team who is top after 28 games has won the league in 14 of the previous 15 seasons. The one team to miss out? You guessed it, us, in 2010/2011.

Scottish League One - The team who is top after 28 games has won the league in 9 of the 10 previous seasons. Stranraer being the exception in 14/15

Scottish League Two - The team who is top after 28 games has won the league in 8 of the 10 seasons. The exceptions being 15/16 and 16/17.

The is from Transfermarkt they only have 10 years into for Leagues One and Two but 15 for the Championship. All goes to prove that whilst there is no guarantee, 28 games is a very good barometer for how the season will finish. 

With the exception of 2 seasons (14/15 being one), there were convincing winners in League 1. There wouldn’t have been this year so not sure what your stats tell us (I guess that in the seasons that there were tight finishes - which is where we were heading, 50% of the teams top at this point didn’t win it?)

Firstly, smashing the 50k target is absolutely sensational. But unlike when we smashed the 25k, it has slowed down with the number of donations. I would like to see the target reassessed, but not with a 25k new target, if the increments could be 5k or 10k that would be more realistic targets.

As I know number of people who were planning to donate come Pay Day, and I don’t want us not to keep putting money in to the club.

Fucking love the Rovers!! Yaaaaass!!

Obviously everyone will be busy with a lot of things just now but would be great if it was possible get another Raith TV interview with Bill Clark next week at some point. The league prize money should be paid out today which seems to be anywhere between 50-70k depending on who you believe. Between various fund raisers and donations we must have brought in close to an additional 60k since this began, that is without including the monthly supporters fund. A fantastic effort from all involved.

In addition to this we have the rumoured 150k for Bowie, hopefully still coming in July. After Clark’s comments about administration on July/August it would be great to get some clarity regarding what monthly costs the club still have while the players are furloughed and what date he thinks we are now covered until. I hope some of his comments were more to put pressure on the vote but I don’t doubt every club is going to find it difficult to survive when I fear we may not play another game this year.

Will be interesting to see what happens regarding player and management contracts also. The furlough scheme only covers current players so there won’t be any new signings till we know for certain when the season will begin. However, any contract extensions must be agreed before the current contract expiry and if a player signs an improved contract he would still only get 80% of his previous wage I believe. Obviously we normally look this time of year at releasing some players too.

I am not sure how it works with released players but I am not particularly comfortable with any of the current squad, whether they are good enough for the championship or not, being left with potentially 5-6 months without income if we release them and nobody is signing new players till we have clarity over the new season. I hope something can be put in place for released players to protect them in some way.

Now the dust has settled a bit congratulations to the rovers for their title win.Not they would have wanted to fo it but hey ho not your fault.Hooe you enjoyed your days out in Montrose!