The New Raith Rovers Thread

If it were only a simple case self serving opportunism on my part then the ideal for me will be for us to go up and Partick come down to gie the bairns someone to play with , drop Hearts in to the Championship where we'd also have Dundee and Dunfermline to boost our home gates. Smashing!  But is it fair? Nah! Probably not and that's for about 30% of the member clubs, but in this sorry mess I fear nothing is going to be.

Given that after this long lay off there'd have to be some sort of preseason or around 3 weeks and after it will then take a minimum of 4 weeks to conclude this regular season (assuming it actually can be started before hell freezes over) it would then take an additional 3 weeks of play offs. In total we'd need around three months just to see 2019/20 out.  Assuming that process couldn't start until June 12th (and I seriously doubt that will happen even then given that every sporting and social event has been struck from the calendar)  conclusion of this season would be around mid to end September. That being the case season 2020-21 wouldn't kick off until mid or late October, I think it may even be September before pre-season starts so I seriously doubt they will play this season out.    

Sacrifices have to be made somewhere, so do we wipe out the 1/4 remaining of this season or play it out and play a shorter season next year ? Perhaps one way or another having time for only a half season next year, if it's the latter can clubs survive on charging half season ticket prices? Tough choice and won't be acceptable to all. I doubt the prospect of a half season will appeal to the many, so again, I cant see them going for playing out 2019/20 as a first choice as it guarantees a shorter season next year.

On the simple understanding of the above that this season is out of time another option has then to be explored.

Is stopping the league and going on current standings fair? Well, no it's not but what would be? Would promoting Raith and Falkirk and having no play offs games be fair? No I don't think so either. but unless the stubborn b*****ds in the Self Preservation League agree to a re-alignment of the leagues there's going to be some very disgruntled fans no matter what is decided.

On the subject of restructuring I'd prefer 2 leagues with 22 in each but I also see a lot of merit in the idea someone floated of 3 x 16 team  leagues,  15 home games 15 away then an 8/8 split (to satisfy TV contracts) with 7 homes and 7 aways to decide top and bottom places. 2 automatic promotion and relegation places,  a third slot where 3rd bottom side plays 3,4 and 5th of the league below in a play off.  SADLY WONT HAPPEN!

I could suggest that this season be played out in the latter part of 2020 and a new summer season started in spring 2021with a rejigged league set up but it addresses none of the contract issues with regard to those ending in June, once again I doubt the SPL wanks would go for it.

Tough decisions will have to be made and they wont suit everyone, but looking at the state of the English game in the news tonight suggests we aren't alone and in some respects may be better off, things could be a shite sight worse.

I just have this nagging feeling that somehow, no matter what happens, we’ll somehow get the shaft. Perhaps promoted and then flushed right back down because of some weird occurrence next season...or given the title, but, sorry, no promotions this year...or two up, so us and Falkirk go up and then we end up playing Falkirk the last game of the season to avoid the automatic drop, and one of us wins and then loses to Clyde in the playoffs...something like this seems our destiny.

Can't wait to start the official champions thread on here should this go through. Should be a right a laugh.

It might just resurrect the “We hate Raith Rovers thread” the seethe will be delicious

41 minutes ago, Frank conner said:
11 hours ago, tazz1903 said:
Any club who gains promotion with  this is just cheating .  The whole season takes many twists and turns , as  we all know . DESPERATION emoji2961.png

In what way is it cheating?

By not allowing teams to play all the remaining fixtures in which case the league positions would probably change , not allowing teams to fight for survival by relegating them . 

Just now, tazz1903 said:

By not allowing teams to play all the remaining fixtures in which case the league positions would probably change , not allowing teams to fight for survival by relegating them . 

Feel free to provide an explanation of how the remaining fixtures can be played without impacting on next season while also allowing for clubs to have an income which will sustain them until the period of lockdown is over. 

17 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Feel free to provide an explanation of how the remaining fixtures can be played without impacting on next season while also allowing for clubs to have an income which will sustain them until the period of lockdown is over. 

Next season can be adjusted ? relegating teams this way will have a serious impact on them for seasons to come , by trying to gain promotion and reduced income .

awarding team currently top the title would not be that bad (still unfair) but promotion and relegation  NO . 

Edited by tazz1903
ADD

Next season is going to be impacted anyway. Do you seriously think we will be back playing by August...

1 minute ago, sirscottyoung said:
19 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Next season is going to be impacted anyway. Do you seriously think we will be back playing by August...

Next season will be impacted and I don't believe we'll be back playing by August. So why the clamour to wait to finish a season which can't be finished to cause further complications? 

7 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:
25 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

So why not minimise the disruption on next season by disposing of this season now?

FWIW, I'm all up for reconstruction. Even if they only way to pass it would be some insane mini league split pish to keep the 4 OF derbies going.

Next season will be impacted and I don't believe we'll be back playing by August. So why the clamour to wait to finish a season which can't be finished to cause further complications? 
Why have two broken seasons when you can have one full season and then a pre determined season. If we go back in November (this is an example) we will have at least 8 weeks of normal league games to play for the spfl to come up with an idea to complete the 20/21 season.
Could be play home and away against every team in the league. But at least by the time it is time to start that season EVERYBODY knows what is expected...

6 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Why have two broken seasons when you can have one full season and then a pre determined season. If we go back in November (this is an example) we will have at least 8 weeks of normal league games to play for the spfl to come up with an idea to complete the 20/21 season.
Could be play home and away against every team in the league. But at least by the time it is time to start that season EVERYBODY knows what is expected...

In your scenario, you are saving 4 home games from this season by doing away with 8 next season.

39 minutes ago, tazz1903 said:

You are coming over as an absolute arse. There is not a hope in hell of the remaining fixtures being played prior to contracts ending. You then have a scenario of the remaining fixtures being played with very different teams. Now that is not fair. Only sensible solution is to call it now. Clubs then now what league they will be in so season tickets can go on sale for that league, contract extensions can be discussed and player transfers also considered. Leave it too long and there wont be a chance of the new season even starting come August as clubs will have no players signed. 

If your still unhappy then calculate the average points or use the 2nd quarter of the season and replicate results for the last quarter. Anyway you do it Raith are promoted.

27 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

You are coming over as an absolute arse. There is not a hope in hell of the remaining fixtures being played prior to contracts ending. You then have a scenario of the remaining fixtures being played with very different teams. Now that is not fair. Only sensible solution is to call it now. Clubs then now what league they will be in so season tickets can go on sale for that league, contract extensions can be discussed and player transfers also considered. Leave it too long and there wont be a chance of the new season even starting come August as clubs will have no players signed. 

If your still unhappy then calculate the average points or use the 2nd quarter of the season and replicate results for the last quarter. Anyway you do it Raith are promoted.

awarding team currently top the title would not be that bad (still unfair) but promotion and relegation  NO . I take it you missed this  part of my post ? 

15 minutes ago, tazz1903 said:

awarding team currently top the title would not be that bad (still unfair) but promotion and relegation  NO . I take it you missed this  part of my post ? 

So its not to bad to declare Raith champions, but just don't promote when the prize for winning your league is promotion, I think not.  Null and void are not on the table so the only resolution is promotion and relegation or promotion and no relegation.

Let's get the facts out.

No football until the 10th June

Player contracts come to an end 9th June.

Raith top of the league after 75% games played.

Teams on the verge of going out of business.

No players discussions until resolution. 

No season ticket sales until a resolution.

From the Spfl rules.Season means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first league match in a season and ending on the date of the last league match in the same season or otherwise as determined by the board and which excludes the close season.

if the board are saying season is finished then league positions stand and promotion happens.