The New Raith Rovers Thread

Slightly unfair? You’re being gifted something. I wonder what your thoughts would be if Falkirk were top.
Having said that, it needs to be drawn to a close and if we’re not going to void it (which for me would be fairer across the piece - the season will not finish so why hand stuff out) then we’ll all just need to get on with it.
Trying to dress it up as anything other than a gift (given you’re one point clear, have to go to their place still and haven’t beat them in the league all season) is wrong though.

Of course it’s unfair but I’d argue it’s even more unfair to remove a certain league title away from Celtic, Dundee Utd and Cove.

I’m self-aware enough to know I wouldn’t like it if Falkirk were top, and I suspect I’d want Raith to be vigorously chasing league reconstruction, but any answer is unfair. The season can’t finish. Any solution annoys someone. To null and void seems the craziest answer to me, for a whole host of reasons, but if that’s what we get then we’ll just have to accept it.

28 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Slightly unfair? You’re being gifted something. I wonder what your thoughts would be if Falkirk were top.
Having said that, it needs to be drawn to a close and if we’re not going to void it (which for me would be fairer across the piece - the season will not finish so why hand stuff out) then we’ll all just need to get on with it.
Trying to dress it up as anything other than a gift (given you’re one point clear, have to go to their place still and haven’t beat them in the league all season) is wrong though.

How is voiding it fairer? All you then have is a different set of aggrieved teams who don't get promoted or awarded their title, rather than the ones that are being relegated and moaning about it. 

The teams in the playoff positions are in the same position regardless of the circumstances - nothing for their efforts 

It's hardly being gifted to us when we are top and have been for the majority of the season.

It’s a gift. The season won’t be completed. They are therefore giving you the title, you didn’t actually win it as titles are normally won. And let’s not make out this is a Liverpool winning the Premier League but however many points they are currently clear scenario. This league would have gone down to the wire.
But that’s fine. It’ll likely be needs must. We (you) just shouldn’t pretend otherwise.

Why is voiding it fairer? 28 games for absolutely nothing? 

None of the options are fair. This is the situation we are in. It’s unprecedented. 

So 28 games for one to gain. What about Airdrie, Falkirk, Montrose, East Fife and Stranraer? Voiding it is fairer as the season will not be completed and you can’t just hand prizes (and relegation) out. It’s not how football works. But, as I’ve said, I get we need to do something.
It’ll be interested to see the reactions though if there is a no vote.

35 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

So 28 games for one to gain. What about Airdrie, Falkirk, Montrose, East Fife and Stranraer? Voiding it is fairer as the season will not be completed and you can’t just hand prizes (and relegation) out. It’s not how football works. But, as I’ve said, I get we need to do something.
It’ll be interested to see the reactions though if there is a no vote.

They’ve already said that null and voiding the season isint really on the table. If it was to be null and void, do the SPFL have a case for not dishing out any prize money for a season that then does not exist? 

Edited by Wardy

They’ve already said that null and voiding the season isint really on the table. If it was to be null and void, do the SPFL have a case for not dishing out any prize money for a season that then does not exist? 

I don’t think they will null and void it. If they did though, the issue would be with the tv money rather than any risk around distribution.

The next fairest option would be reconstruction, even if it is for one season only.

It’s a gift. The season won’t be completed. They are therefore giving you the title, you didn’t actually win it as titles are normally won. And let’s not make out this is a Liverpool winning the Premier League but however many points they are currently clear scenario. This league would have gone down to the wire.
But that’s fine. It’ll likely be needs must. We (you) just shouldn’t pretend otherwise.

I would rather the season was completed but that just isn't possible. We have consistently throughout most of the season been the best team in the league as we have been top. With over 75% of the games played it isn't gifting us anything. It is recognising that we have been the best team, which we have by being top for most of the season to this point. It may have gone to the wire and we may have bottled it. But that won't have a chance to come to fruition now.

I would rather the season was completed but that just isn't possible. We have consistently throughout most of the season been the best team in the league as we have been top. With over 75% of the games played it isn't gifting us anything. It is recognising that we have been the best team, which we have by being top for most of the season to this point. It may have gone to the wire and we may have bottled it. But that won't have a chance to come to fruition now.

See, this is it. It may have gone to the wire and Falkirk actually just beat you in the last game when you play each other. How could you class that as bottling it??
Interesting the bookies still have Falkirk as the favourites to win the league yet you’re suggesting it would take a bottle crash to allow that to happen.

Flip side to that is that they haven’t beaten us in the league this season either. And their record against top half sides is honking.

See, this is it. It may have gone to the wire and Falkirk actually just beat you in the last game when you play each other. How could you class that as bottling it??
Interesting the bookies still have Falkirk as the favourites to win the league yet you’re suggesting it would take a bottle crash to allow that to happen.
Because having been top for the majority of the season I would say that our bottle had crashed if we didn't get over the line.

Because having been top for the majority of the season I would say that our bottle had crashed if we didn't get over the line.

You could win another 7 and lose just 1 to finish second. That’s absolutely not bottle crashing, that’s showing you how close the league is.

Flip side to that is that they haven’t beaten us in the league this season either. And their record against top half sides is honking.

Honking. Accept against Raith then. My point isn’t they will win the league, my point is that it is grossly unfair to gift the league title when it is so close. I’m not even saying we shouldn’t accept that though if that’s the decision voted through, but this false premise that Raith are somehow odds on to win the league and that it wouldn’t be an unfair decision is wrong. One point is the difference! They have the much better goal difference going into the last 8 and you have to play them away. If the league was somehow to continue those are the points that would matter, not how had been top most weeks. To ignore that in this argument is strange.

But that’s the thing, the league probably won’t continue so what difference does it actually make whether if or but. Where we are right now is that Raith are top, Falkirk are second. With the decision of no play offs, promoting only one team. Even if they didn’t actually give us the title but promoted us, I’d still feel a bit meh towards it, but as others have said on this thread, I’d be happy to get out of this league through hook or crook because we’ve been shafted in the past.

Edited by Wardy

44 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Honking. Accept against Raith then. My point isn’t they will win the league, my point is that it is grossly unfair to gift the league title when it is so close. I’m not even saying we shouldn’t accept that though if that’s the decision voted through, but this false premise that Raith are somehow odds on to win the league and that it wouldn’t be an unfair decision is wrong. One point is the difference! They have the much better goal difference going into the last 8 and you have to play them away. If the league was somehow to continue those are the points that would matter, not how had been top most weeks. To ignore that in this argument is strange.

A simple question, what point lead is “acceptable”, in this situation, to declare a winner? Why that exact number or above?

1 hour ago, Rover the Moon said:

No it’s not, It’s been honking against Clyde. It’s been poor against Airdrie.  It’s been decidedly average against Raith and East Fife and fortuitously good against Montrose.

You can argue different what ifs till kingdom come, from a Falkirk point of view, we were reeling everyone in over the last 8, 10 and 12 matches, and might just have got our nose in front by the final day. But then again possibly not. If Q4 replicated Q2 Airdrie would win the league.

I posted elsewhere I think there should be a reconstruction to move 5 Raith Falkirk Airdrie Montrose East Fife into a new Championship of 14  and have a 18 team Div 1 /  Div 2 including Brora Kelty Bonnyrigg.

8 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

No it’s not, It’s been honking against Clyde. It’s been poor against Airdrie.  It’s been decidedly average against Raith and East Fife and fortuitously good against Montrose.

You can argue different what ifs till kingdom come, from a Falkirk point of view, we were reeling everyone in over the last 8, 10 and 12 matches, and might just have got our nose in front by the final day. But then again possibly not. If Q4 replicated Q2 Airdrie would win the league.

I posted elsewhere I think there should be a reconstruction to move 5 Raith Falkirk Airdrie Montrose East Fife into a new Championship of 14  and have a 18 team Div 1 /  Div 2 including Brora Kelty Bonnyrigg.

Falkirk have managed to gain 3 points on Raith Rovers since their management team took over almost 5 months ago, which included 2 head to head games and one of the worst injury crisis we have faced. Not exactly being reeled in. 

Edited by CALDERON

What nonsense I've read. If Dundee Utd are promoted then we cant have a scenario that Raith aren't.  A leads a lead. All other teams have had the same opportunity to top the table. Raith have for the majority of the season. If it's so unfair replicate the 2nd quarter and work out who tops the tables. Again  Raith promoted.