The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 02/04/2020 at 18:31, Rovers_Lad said:

At long last an FA thats actually showing a pair if gonads and making a decision,whether its right or wrong whilst our blazers drag their heels.

Why would rushing to make a wrong decision be better than waiting to make the right one?

54 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Bill Clark was interviewed  on off the ball/ open all mikes and said if this situation continues into August/September its not inconceivable club could fold..in his conversations with other club chairmen this applies to many other clubs who are in a worse position than ours

That's worrying, as that's the earliest I'd expect this situation to be over. 

Hopefully he means as things stand ie without the aid of advanced prize money etc. 

12 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

That's worrying, as that's the earliest I'd expect this situation to be over. 

Hopefully he means as things stand ie without the aid of advanced prize money etc. 

Dont quote me on it but sure he said he didn,t expect the season to resume even by August

I also took it he meant as things stand with no money coming in

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why would rushing to make a wrong decision be better than waiting to make the right one?

Some clubs especially in the lower division might not be far from going to the wall

We wont know if any decision is right or wrong one until a decision is made

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There’s not any football going to be played before August at the very earliest.

Over the leagues a great many players are due to expire in about 60 days time, given that most years players would be in contract negotiations by now (pre-contract agreements) when would you assess a time that isn’t rushed?

Perhaps this decision doesn’t required to be made today or tomorrow but it will have to be addressed sooner rather than later.

12 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Some clubs especially in the lower division might not be far from going to the wall

We wont know if any decision is right or wrong one until a decision is made

How would the SPFL making a decision on this season help stop those clubs from going to the wall? If it's about prize money, then that can be distributed without having to make a call on the season, and it's not clear how much of that prize money will still be available given that broadcasters and sponsors may well not make further payments given that there are no games being broadcast.

Just now, Scottydog said:

There’s not any football going to be played before August at the very earliest.

Over the leagues a great many players are due to expire in about 60 days time, given that most years players would be in contract negotiations by now (pre-contract agreements) when would you assess a time that isn’t rushed?

Perhaps this decision doesn’t required to be made today or tomorrow but it will have to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Clubs are going to be in the same boat regardless - they won't know when the next games are going to be played so it would be hard to make contract offers anyway.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, Frank conner said:

I know I'll get some smart arse responses but how did clubs survive during WW2 it's the same situation where everyone is in the same boat if it sadly means joblosses then so be it .
No one will be signing players and with clubs being on lockdown the running costs should be quite low.

A quick google suggests that while the league and Scottish Cup were suspended, unofficial regional leagues took their places for those years.  Obviously teams were depleted by a number of men going off to fight, but others in protected industries (coal mining and ship building, for example) kept the teams going. Appearances in those regional leagues didnt count towards players official appearances, but it does mean that clubs received some income and didnt just go into deep freeze for the duration.

A quick google suggests that while the league and Scottish Cup were suspended, unofficial regional leagues took their places for those years.  Obviously teams were depleted by a number of men going off to fight, but others in protected industries (coal mining and ship building, for example) kept the teams going. Appearances in those regional leagues didnt count towards players official appearances, but it does mean that clubs received some income and didnt just go into deep freeze for the duration.
We still have the 5k a month from the players fund and I cant see John Sim just writing off the 800k the club owes him.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

How would the SPFL making a decision on this season help stop those clubs from going to the wall? If it's about prize money, then that can be distributed without having to make a call on the season, and it's not clear how much of that prize money will still be available given that broadcasters and sponsors may well not make further payments given that there are no games being broadcast.

Then why has the prize money not been distributed?Would they  pay out on current positions?

Technically payment could be made to ourselves and Inverness now for the Caramel Cup final but hasnt

Edited by Rovers_Lad

42 minutes ago, Frank conner said:
47 minutes ago, renton said:

We still have the 5k a month from the players fund and I cant see John Sim just writing off the 800k the club owes him.

Sim will get his money back from pitch rental

oh wait a minute!

42 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Then why has the prize money not been distributed?Would they  pay out on current positions?

Technically payment could be made to ourselves and Inverness now for the Caramel Cup final but hasnt

They could easily choose to pay out on current positions, but that doesn't have to be tied in to actually declaring those positions as final. However, it's not clear that all the money will be there - the prize money comes in chunks from sponsors and broadcasters, and they will quite rightly not be paying for games that haven't gone ahead.

The same goes for the Challenge Cup final. Tunnocks and the various broadcasters probably haven't paid their full amount of money given that the final hasn't actually taken place. Likewise, the cut from the gate money obviously can't be forthcoming since they don't have it.

3 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

I'm not sure it'll necessarily be the smaller clubs who'll be hardest hit. A lot, although not all, of the smaller clubs are generally quite prudently run. It could be the supposedly 'ambitious' clubs that are hit hardest as many of them have players on high wages and long term contracts. 

90 minutes was a great watch. Well, 30 of them were anyway! Dunfermline were the better side for the whole of the first half, and then again up until we scored. They totally folded when Ashcroft got sent off, though.

Great offer from the club, thoroughly enjoyed it.

East Fife 3-5 Rovers next, please.

I'm not sure it'll necessarily be the smaller clubs who'll be hardest hit. A lot, although not all, of the smaller clubs are generally quite prudently run. It could be the supposedly 'ambitious' clubs that are hit hardest as many of them have players on high wages and long term contracts. 

I was think that Kelty Hearts could well become unstuck with this.

I'd imagine that even the very well part time clubs will struggle as there is no income. Whilst they are run very well, they have the same problem of no money come in. And these clubs dont have very big fan bases to rely on 

Listened to Sportsound earlier and it sounds like the clubs are inching towards calling the season if it can't be completed. Didn't hear null and void mentioned once. 

I really hope we can finish the season, but I can't see how that can happen without completely fucking next season. The Euros happening next summer makes it hard enough to get next season sorted out, never mind fitting the remaining 8 games in. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They could easily choose to pay out on current positions, but that doesn't have to be tied in to actually declaring those positions as final. However, it's not clear that all the money will be there - the prize money comes in chunks from sponsors and broadcasters, and they will quite rightly not be paying for games that haven't gone ahead.

The same goes for the Challenge Cup final. Tunnocks and the various broadcasters probably haven't paid their full amount of money given that the final hasn't actually taken place. Likewise, the cut from the gate money obviously can't be forthcoming since they don't have it.

So they can pay out but then they cant because theres a chance all the money is not there?

If they did pay out on respective positions now or soon thats an admittance surely the seasons finished/final positions,otherwise if ,although highly unlikely the season resumes some time later the league positions could change but they,ll already have paid out

Regards the Cup Final.Ourselves and ICT are entitled to a sum of money for reaching the final irrespective of broadcasters and the two teams in the final is not going to change so that money could be paid now.Gate money is a seperate issue and aware that cant be forthcoming

There comes a time when the SFA/SPFL have to make a call.When do you think that should be?

Edited by Rovers_Lad