The New Raith Rovers Thread

29 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

D3k4OX-WsAA5PGx.jpg

I'd guess that must have been around 1991?

EDIT might have been earlier as from the angle i'm not sure if its the Railway stand or the Coo Shed on the right hand side.

Edited by mrpaddyx

3 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I'd guess that must have been around 1991?

EDIT might have been earlier as from the angle i'm not sure if its the Railway stand or the Coo Shed on the right hand side.

That's definitely the railway stand as it has the concrete terracing beside it rather than the stoory railway sleepers. 

Although it was, in all honesty, a bit of a dump, there was something magical about walking up the steps once you were through the turnstiles and through the tunnel under the main stand, then after a win , walking through the tunnel in the dark. 

I think its 1992 at a guess just before our premier league debut. 
the floodlights are the new smaller high powered ones we put in replacing the mixture of big and small ones we used on each pylon from the mid 1970’s. Could be wrong but I think I remember they upgraded the floodlights for playing in the Premier league.

24 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Loved the old ash & timber terracing. They ruined the home end when they concreted it, only putting about a dozen steps down and cutting the capacity (and atmosphere) there in half. Think it was 93 maybe for 1st season in SPL? 

I agree, but I think they had to do it because they had to create an access walkway to the railway stand. 

Back then you paid to get into the ground then paid a bit extra at the railway stand to get into it. 

I think the issue was that if the ground needed to be evacuated, everyone on the railway side had to walk (or run) round behind the respective goals as the ground could only be accessed from Pratt Street. 

5 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

That's definitely the railway stand as it has the concrete terracing beside it rather than the stoory railway sleepers. 

Although it was, in all honesty, a bit of a dump, there was something magical about walking up the steps once you were through the turnstiles and through the tunnel under the main stand, then after a win , walking through the tunnel in the dark. 

Yup deffo the railway stand. You can see the start of the fence which separates it from the terracing.