The New Raith Rovers Thread

Can I just say as a member of the Pie and Bovril 200 club that the actual 200 club have donated £5000 ( along with Rovers Down South and Neeburs adding £1000 and £1500 respectively) which is excellent. To have reached £30k in less than a week is utterly outstanding. There's a load of uncertainty and a lot of people might not be able to add, but it's fantastic to see a wide variety putting money in. I'm glad we've seized the initiative with this rather than plodding along. 

The best bit for me is that it wasn't instigated by the club. It was from the fans who immediately said "what can we do to help?" We might not all get along.  People might have a go at Fife's Finest and Quinny. Myself and Bambino might've been accused of bullying a 15 year old who was a figment of someone's imagination. Steakandgravy might be involved in numerous legal disputes. But we're all in it together and all love Rovers. I genuinely feel like this season has been a turning point for the club: the fans, the board and the staff all seem to be on the same page. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

Certainly don’t wish to detract at all from the marvellous fundraising that’s been going on, and I hope it continues throughout the whole shutdown however long it lasts, but the government announcement today should mean any worries for the clubs future in the short-term are gone.

Certainly don’t wish to detract at all from the marvellous fundraising that’s been going on, and I hope it continues throughout the whole shutdown however long it lasts, but the government announcement today should mean any worries for the clubs future in the short-term are gone.
What are you referring to paco? Haven't had a chance to get caught up with everything yet.

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:
14 minutes ago, Paco said:

What are you referring to paco? Haven't had a chance to get caught up with everything yet.

Coronavirus: Government to pay up to 80% of workers' wages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51982005

Amazing effort from everyone. Well done! A little light an in otherwise dismal week.

Imagine if Alan Young and Drysdale were still at the club? Probably would've just said to void the league, boarded up the doors and said "Cannae stand in Corona's way, eh". 

1) 80%,up to £2,500/month. That’s, for perspective, £3,125/month salary, or a smidge over £721/week. So a player getting £722 a week or more is getting about £577/week from the government. In League One, that should cover most players.

2) I would expect teams, that are able, to pay the difference between the Government support and the normal salary. I know, as a player, a team that stepped up offered to pay me would be considered favorably, and word would get around. Some players might well decline the pay and/or donate it, but the offer is smart.

3) If some of the funds are unnecessary, I’d prefer the majority be used to pay down debt to strengthen Raith going forward. A player I nice, but less debt means better players in the future.

48 minutes ago, TxRover said:

1) 80%,up to £2,500/month. That’s, for perspective, £3,125/month salary, or a smidge over £721/week. So a player getting £722 a week or more is getting about £577/week from the government. In League One, that should cover most players.

2) I would expect teams, that are able, to pay the difference between the Government support and the normal salary. I know, as a player, a team that stepped up offered to pay me would be considered favorably, and word would get around. Some players might well decline the pay and/or donate it, but the offer is smart.

3) If some of the funds are unnecessary, I’d prefer the majority be used to pay down debt to strengthen Raith going forward. A player I nice, but less debt means better players in the future.

T X    I think you'll find the up to £2500 a month will be the gross before tax an n i contributions

1 hour ago, MC_Lachlan said:

Amazing effort from everyone. Well done! A little light an in otherwise dismal week.

Imagine if Alan Young and Drysdale were still at the club? Probably would've just said to void the league, boarded up the doors and said "Cannae stand in Corona's way, eh". 

Or blamed the fans for it. 

We have our problems, but thankfully contempt for the club's fans is no longer one of them. I doubt we'd have got near where we are with the fundraiser if Drysdale was still here. 

5 hours ago, MC_Lachlan said:

Genuinely laughed out loud at ‘Cannae stand in Corona’s way’

Thank f**k  those idiots are gone. 

I will never forget leaving the Alloa playoff game after they scored to make it 4-1 on aggregate with about 20 mins to go. The then chairman was practically sprinting up Pratt St to get away. 

Tough times lie ahead, but I'm happy with what I've seen from those running the club. 

6 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

T X    I think you'll find the up to £2500 a month will be the gross before tax an n i contributions

I agree, and the point? I'm simply pointing out that I suspect most of our players are not topping  £700/week.

Looks like Jordan Thompson could be back at Rangers now. Saw he tweeted something on twitter about remembering the fallen and he normally tweets something on the morning of the Rovers game about looking forward to the game. So I went on his twitter page, it used to say "On loan at Raith Rovers" in his bio. It just reads "Rangers FC" now. Could be looking too much in to it though. Would be a massive blow to lose him.
Surely if we did lose either Thompson or Roberts at Rangers , then something would be on the OS though, like there was with Wighton last January and Liam Smith in November.
Also if we lost Thompson, it would also mean David Bates would be back and that would surely be on the OS as well..

Massive blow losing Thompson?