The New Raith Rovers Thread

It's a weird and tricky situation. Obviously the virus is reaching a stage where actions need to be taken. 

I do think it's tempting to look at football and consider it merely as a sport, which to a degree is true, but it's also a source of employment and income. At our level, without being massively informed, we will have a decent amount of players as well as football and operational staff whose livelihoods will be in real doubt. I'd guess that most Premiership, Championship clubs as well as ourselves and Falkirk will have full time or close to full time clerical and non footballing staff, who won't be on huge wages. 

Unless someone comes in to heavily plug the gap, our club and many others could well fold which other than our own emotional aspect, is going to lead to people losing jobs. 

I'm certainly not saying this means it should be business as usual or anything like that, this is a unique and a bit scary situation, but there a lot of jobs at risk here. I certainly think it's more complex than "it's just men kicking a ball of air FFS". 

Not saying for one second that safety and health advice should be ignored, but I really hope it isn't a case of suck it and see. 

Edited by CALDERON

Makes things like the Supporters Fund all the more important. Difficult for the club to really promote but I’d hope if the season is stopped that everyone who is in a position to be able to, can sign up and make a contribution to help out.

I appreciate not everyone is able to and not trying to come across as a super fan (I have a season ticket don’t you know!) but I will up my monthly contribution to the fund. Would easily spend another £5-10 a month at the games on food and drinks or travelling to games so makes no difference to me. Sure every penny the club receive over the next few months will be huge.

If the games are to be behind closed doors, what kind of appetite do you think there would be from fans to contribute to the costs of the game. I think I'd be happy to pitch in a tenner for each home game for access to either the live match stream or commentary that Raith TV do.... 

Maybe even get a few donations from folk who would'nt have even been at the game anyway.

As said above, every little will help. I think its beyond doubt now that these games will either not go ahead or will be behind closed doors.

If closed doors an appeal directly from players etc on social media to donate your match ticket price into the fund might cover some is the losses. No match day costs if the games are behind closed doors.

Or we could offer to open all the stands and spread the support among them for the Stranraer and Dumbarton matches. Self policing. Leave a seat between each other.

The latest advice is that the virus is more likely to spread in small gatherings. Players safety is at risk, and close doors doesn't help that. 

Hopefully things can be postponed rather than cancelled. 

Insurance will cover a fair bit of it surely 

Doubt it, insurance won’t cover a force majeure, if they declare it. Depends all what’s in the small print I guess. But would be shocked at any contract involving money that wouldn’t have that type of clause.

I’m actually fully against playing games behind closed doors, defeats the purpose. Either have it; business as usual, or have it as a temporary suspension and extend the season to the end of May. And if the suspension delays further, end the season as it stands, and where ever you are on that day, that’s your final league position. And if we’re top, great, if not, tough shit, lets go n win the play-off’s(!!).

Doubt it, insurance won’t cover a force majeure, if they declare it. Depends all what’s in the small print I guess. But would be shocked at any contract involving money that wouldn’t have that type of clause.

I’m actually fully against playing games behind closed doors, defeats the purpose. Either have it; business as usual, or have it as a temporary suspension and extend the season to the end of May. And if the suspension delays further, end the season as it stands, and where ever you are on that day, that’s your final league position. And if we’re top, great, if not, tough shit, lets go n win the play-off’s(!!).

I totally agree with this now we’re top when it happened [emoji23]

27 minutes ago, kev23 said:

I suppose we could sell tickets for our remaining home games from the office and online with the guarantee they'll be valid if the game takes place.

There may be a need for this and/or some general fundraising to help the club out over the next few months.  The good thing is we have well organised fan groups who can work together if it comes to that. 

1 hour ago, kev23 said:

I suppose we could sell tickets for our remaining home games from the office and online with the guarantee they'll be valid if the game takes place.

Yeah or set up a direct debit for the remaining home games. Pay in full. Tickets valid when the game is re-arranged. If the supporter then can’t make it, then can be refunded closer to the time?