The New Raith Rovers Thread

According to Boris and the Scientific and Medical Advisor they don’t reckon we should be cancelling sporting events just yet.

Nicola Sturgeon thinks we should though, so the presumption at this stage has to be that any matches we do play from Saturday onwards will be behind closed doors. I can’t see restricted crowds becoming a thing but I guess you never know.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, RaithRover123 said:
Insurance will cover a fair bit of it surely 

I doubt it. Unlikely insurers would be happy to pay out for something they can put down to an act of God etc.

Can’t be an act of god since it’s almost a given that China will fire out a virus every few years 

41 minutes ago, Paco said:

Nicola Sturgeon thinks we should though, so the presumption at this stage has to be that any matches we do play from Saturday onwards will be behind closed doors. I can’t see restricted crowds becoming a thing but I guess you never know.

Doesn’t start until Monday here according to Sturgeon. Nothing at all to do with Sunday’s Old Firm game of course. All feels very arbitrary 

Doesn’t start until Monday here according to Sturgeon. Nothing at all to do with Sunday’s Old Firm game of course. All feels very arbitrary 

It’s strange, especially when 50,000 is deemed ‘safe’ in Newcastle, with the associated pressures on policing and emergency services, but 1400 at Stark’s Park is an issue.

It’s probably selfish and perhaps idiotic given how out of line the UK is with the rest of Europe but I’d have thought Scottish football could’ve tried ‘business as usual’ for now, maybe even with an accelerated schedule of Sat-Tue-Sat to try and get finished before major shutdowns arrive - it probably wouldn’t work but at least we’d only have two or three games to come back, and it’d open the possibility of promotions/relegations being decided so the season could be scrapped if necessary.

The spfl/sfa have never planned for something like this and even at the best of times neither is fit for purpose. If this all goes tits up I think there will be massive change in the game and a few clubs will go to the wall as a result.

For my money (which will favour the rovers as it happens). End the season now there is a full round of games to go so everyone has played equal games and promote the top team from every division, we're currently top and have been most of the season. Scrap or delay until the summer any playoffs and regroup in august. 

As much as I suspect that if Sunday’s game had been St Johnstone v Celtic, we may have already have called a halt to proceedings, the suggestion is that next week will see a huge increase in positive cases from Monday onwards, and that emergency services will be stretched.

As much as I enjoy a good conspiracy theory, I’m not 100% sure this is one.

As far as keeping games on with folk in attendance, let’s not be daft.

This disease is killing people, and running the risk of catching it due to attending a League One game versus Montrose is wild, no matter how exciting the end of season might be.

The games can’t be played behind closed doors either, as players and managers are now testing positive.

As for criticising the authorities, as much as they make curious decisions at times, I’m not sure being underprepared for a pandemic super-killer is something we can easily pin on them.

For my money (which will favour the rovers as it happens). End the season now there is a full round of games to go so everyone has played equal games and promote the top team

It would be peak rovers for us to lose to montrose on Saturday, falkirk to go top and then spfl to decide to end the season on monday with the league positions are they are because of how far ahead celtic, dundee united and cove are in their respective leagues.

It would be peak rovers for us to lose to montrose on Saturday, falkirk to go top and then spfl to decide to end the season on monday with the league positions are they are because of how far ahead celtic, dundee united and cove are in their respective leagues.
It would be peak rovers to see that happen. Mainly because we're away to Peterhead though...

I cant see an easy way out of this , suspend the season or even finish the season now or void the season , even playing behind closed doors, players and staff still have to be paid with no income coming in , the financial implications will bankrupt most clubs never mind ours 

8 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

As much as I suspect that if Sunday’s game had been St Johnstone v Celtic, we may have already have called a halt to proceedings, the suggestion is that next week will see a huge increase in positive cases from Monday onwards, and that emergency services will be stretched.

This is all a judgement call based on whatever scientific evidence is out there at the moment, so it’s effectively informed guesswork. We’ll obviously never know, but I’m pretty sure the fact there’s an Old Firm game on Sunday was a factor in the decision to wait 4 days until implementing this new protocol. 

If banning large public gatherings is  helpful on a Monday morning, then it will surely also have been helpful 24 or 48 hours earlier. As someone tweeted, it’s not a diet where you think ‘I’ll wait and just start on Monday’ 

Edited by roverthemoon