The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’m just intrigued as to why you would want a couple of players from a team currently struggling down the bottom end of League 1 to become part of a squad in the championship? 

He’s possibly not confident of us managing it this season?

And for the record McCallum would probably be one of the best keepers in the championship if he was to play there as well.

15 minutes ago, Starkiplier said:

What a bizarre thing to say.

No more bizarre than Baillie’s original post to be honest. Comes out with some pish. 

If McCallum was that good he’d probably be in the championship by now. Arbroath or Alloa both being part time could have taken a punt on him but either tried and failed or didn’t bother. 

Others have already mentioned about Coupe so I won’t bother adding to that. 

12 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

He  moved to work in a hospital in London.

Fair enough. 

8 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

He’s possibly not confident of us managing it this season?

And for the record McCallum would probably be one of the best keepers in the championship if he was to play there as well.

He said if we do go up. 

He said if we do go up. 
Would you keep Miller if we go up? He was part of the Brechin side that was relagated. Mccalum is probably like every other pt player. He will have a decent job outside of football so has chosen to stay pt. He would also improve us if we were to sign him. He is a good 'keeper.

25 minutes ago, grumswall said:
43 minutes ago, Wardy said:
He said if we do go up. 

Would you keep Miller if we go up? He was part of the Brechin side that was relagated. Mccalum is probably like every other pt player. He will have a decent job outside of football so has chosen to stay pt. He would also improve us if we were to sign him. He is a good 'keeper.

Well I’ve seen Miller a lot more than I’ve seen of McCallum. Just not as convinced as others. Especially if we were to go up. No real qualms if we were still down here next season. 

Well I’ve seen Miller a lot more than I’ve seen of McCallum. Just not as convinced as others. Especially if we were to go up. No real qualms if we were still down here next season. 
I think he had alot to do with how well Forfar did last season. He has always impressed me when iv seen him play.

On 08/03/2020 at 03:50, Jilted John said:

Agree about Bowie. I’d add Hendry to the list of players that need rested too.

I don’t think Baird can play on the side of a front three though. I assume he’s wanting to play two quick players up alongside Maclean.

Been saying for a long time, we should take the opportunity now and then to give a regular starter an off weekend. Hendry, while more skilled than Matthews or Spencer, can be replaced by them or Tait for a game. Davo (who has manufactured his own breaks) or Bene (who has been fantastic recently, and then slipped yesterday) can be replaced by McKay (when healthy) for a game, etc.

I consider Bowie/Baird/MacLean as three players for two roles, letting the third observe the game from the bench and offer a spark late in a game.

MacDonald is the only player we truly lack real functional cover for, and even then Dingwall or GAndo can play in a pinch, especially if we run three CB.

Here’s a thought, is Peterhead, which will be a wet, but well drained, natural grass surface a good match to Hendry’s game? If not, let’s let him “ride the pine” for a match. Let him rest, available if we need it.

How about:

Munro

Miller/Davo/Bene/MacDonald

Matthews/Tait/Dingwall

Armstrong

Baird/MacLean

Planning on using Bowie for a forward about 60 minute mark, have Spencer and Hendry available, and Watson and Mendy for the defense, McGurn as the backup goalie and GAndo as utility reserve.

Edited by TxRover

16 hours ago, embow said:

Geez! Thirty years!

Does that mean even the halcyon days of the early to mid 90's weren't enough to bring him back into the fold.

(Shakes head vigorously from side to side in disbelief.🥴)

Hahaha not quite thirty years....I moved to London Feb '94 and looked on in disbelief at what came next.....

Anyway see you all in a couple of weeks for the visit of Methil.

3 hours ago, smokie36 said:

Hahaha not quite thirty years....I moved to London Feb '94 and looked on in disbelief at what came next.....

Anyway see you all in a couple of weeks for the visit of Methil.

Hiya Smokie I see you found it then.

13 hours ago, grumswall said:
13 hours ago, USA bairn said:
COYB

@TxRover is this your alter ego?

Depends on if I’ve been sleep posting, but as far as I know, no.

4 hours ago, smokie36 said:

Hahaha not quite thirty years....

Wondering, off hand, the longest between visits to a Rovers game? I don’t qualify because I dropped out of really tracking the Rovers for 35-40 years, until I found it easy and convenient to follow them again from afar, and my schedule permitted it. Yep, I was only peripherally aware of the Rovers exploits, hearing it via the odd (rare) news story in a U.S. newspaper or relayed (rarely) from a relative. The only time the Rovers really made any noise in the news here was related to Gordon Brown.