The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Read my answer again, and don’t take it out or context. It is apparent that the gaffer prioritized the extra defender deep with Goodwillie facing us.

It's clear that McGlynn feels he has two players who can play right back consistently. Watson is a gap filler and not someone currently in contention for tactical rotation into the first team. 

If McGlynn wants more attacking play down the right, and doesn't want to play Mikey Miller (who isn't a hit the byline type of guy anyway) then he'll adjust his midfield and wide forward capabilities first, long before the thought of Jamie Watson enters his head.

3 hours ago, rrfc83 said:

At the end of the day i don't think clubs deliberately set out to get enter administration . 

Maybe so but if clubs are not paying HMRC and other major creditors whilst spending money on other things/or not cutting their cloth accordingly  they,ll be aware what direction they,re heading in

16 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Maybe so but if clubs are not paying HMRC and other major creditors whilst spending money on other things/or not cutting their cloth accordingly  they,ll be aware what direction they,re heading in

Not the fans fault though is it? And like every club its the fans that are left to pick up the pieces. Is it right that clubs have done this? No,  however as i said its not going to change what has happened in the past.

You could go as far as blaming the banks during the 90/00s as they were quite happy to throw money at clubs.  You could also say why does the HMRC wait until its nearly the final nail in the coffin before chasing the money? I think the majority of clubs within Scotland have learnt their lesson (some the hard way) from the era where there was a lot of money within the game to where we stand now.

Rovers are trying to clear debt, does it help we have someone who has money to bridge the gap just now, yes of course it does, but doesn't make us perfect or any better than other clubs who have suffered.  In an ideal world all clubs would be run perfectly and all post profits, however what would we then moan about on here....

4 minutes ago, rrfc83 said:

You could go as far as blaming the banks during the 90/00s as they were quite happy to throw money at clubs.  

Masterton, Give me £10M good friend.

BoS, No problem, we'll just set up a repayment plan.

Masterton, You see, we're a football club, having a plan isn't our normal MO.

BoS, OK then pay us when you can.

Masterton, (mutters under breath) that'll be fucking shining bright.

Think we’re straying from the point a bit here. The original question was of a “punishment doesn’t fit the crime” nature, which I think is 100% true. Clubs like ours were burdened with massive debts building stadiums we would hardly ever fill and the effects of that live with us to this day. The pars cracked open the Champaign and went on a spending spree, wrote it all off in one fell swoop, took a one time only points deduction and then returned pretty swiftly to their natural level in the Championship. I’d considered harsher penalties for this sort of thing. Possibly the withholding prize money for a number of seasons.
What good would withholding prize money do? You'd be punishing a new regime for the crimes of the old.

What good would withholding prize money do? You'd be punishing a new regime for the crimes of the old.

Very much a “it was the company, not the club” type response. Presumably you’d have voted let Rangers start 2012-13 in the premier? No point in punishing the new regime, eh?

Dunfermline being able to cook the book, rid themselves of all debts, paying 0p in the pound and restarting 100% debt free was, in my opinion, massively advantageous compared to clubs who have spend years honestly paying off their debts with interest from that free spending era in Scottish football.

Read my answer again, and don’t take it out or context. It is apparent that the gaffer prioritized the extra defender deep with Goodwillie facing us.

So what would McGlynn have done if Goodwillie wasn’t playing? Hint: it wouldn’t have involved starting Watson.

4 hours ago, rrfc83 said:

Not the fans fault though is it? And like every club its the fans that are left to pick up the pieces. Is it right that clubs have done this? No,  however as i said its not going to change what has happened in the past.

You could go as far as blaming the banks during the 90/00s as they were quite happy to throw money at clubs.  You could also say why does the HMRC wait until its nearly the final nail in the coffin before chasing the money? I think the majority of clubs within Scotland have learnt their lesson (some the hard way) from the era where there was a lot of money within the game to where we stand now.

Rovers are trying to clear debt, does it help we have someone who has money to bridge the gap just now, yes of course it does, but doesn't make us perfect or any better than other clubs who have suffered.  In an ideal world all clubs would be run perfectly and all post profits, however what would we then moan about on here....

Never said it was the fans fault 

On 26/02/2020 at 08:25, Ro Sham Bo said:

They're sustainable as long as someone is willing to keep putting their hand in their pocket to make up the shortfall. 

I can see absolutely no way why this wouldn't be a problem. 

On 26/02/2020 at 13:53, Enigma said:

Why reject a £250K+ bid for Nesbit then, if you’re struggling so much? 

Because we can sell him for a decent amount in the summer, to sell him in January as late as we would have would have put us at great risk of relegation. 

On 26/02/2020 at 14:01, CALDERON said:

Don't really remember Dunfermline fans giving much of a toss about their financial situation until it was far too late, but I may of course be wrong. 

Don't see many Rovers fans giving a toss either. 

23 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Arent dunfermline due to announce significant losses ?

We are due to announce losses this year aye, hence the massive cuts. 

We are due to announce losses this year aye, hence the massive cuts. 
We have also made massive cuts and went to a hybrid model this season. We're top of the league and in a cup final. Full Time football isn't sustainable for the majority of clubs below the premiership without outside investment unfortunately. Arbroath are the perfect example of how pt players/ teams can work. Strolled the league last season and have done very well in the championship this season. The championship is full of pish the same as league 1 is though and I'd honestly expect whatever team that ends up in the playoff final from league 1 to go up. Hopefully it's falkirk.