The New Raith Rovers Thread

Would you have "gave a toss"? If your team was in 3 cup finals in 5 years? And "playing" in Europe. Bit holier than thou attitude coming across here.....

3 cup finals, yet no trophy. Europe was defeat to a bunch of fishermen from Iceland and a Swedish lower league side wasn’t it?

3 cup finals, yet no trophy. Europe was defeat to a bunch of fishermen from Iceland and a Swedish lower league side wasn’t it?

The point he was making was that if we were regularly in cup finals and Europe, we wouldn’t be too concerned about where the money was coming from. Just because it’s a rival team doesn’t make it any less true.

The point he was making was that if we were regularly in cup finals and Europe, we wouldn’t be too concerned about where the money was coming from. Just because it’s a rival team doesn’t make it any less true.

Think we’re straying from the point a bit here. The original question was of a “punishment doesn’t fit the crime” nature, which I think is 100% true. Clubs like ours were burdened with massive debts building stadiums we would hardly ever fill and the effects of that live with us to this day. The pars cracked open the Champaign and went on a spending spree, wrote it all off in one fell swoop, took a one time only points deduction and then returned pretty swiftly to their natural level in the Championship. I’d considered harsher penalties for this sort of thing. Possibly the withholding prize money for a number of seasons.

I did put playing in inverted commas for the more intellectually challenged on here but to no avail......

Enigma clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the shed

You’re right Enigma, but that is the fault of the people running Dunfermline at that point and of the people running Scottish football.

In all honesty I’m sure Raith fans would have behaved exactly the same as Dunfermline fans did in the circumstances- deep down you know it’s probably not sustainable but you kind of trust that the people running the club must surely know what they’re doing and you get on with enjoying the success on the pitch.

You’re right Enigma, but that is the fault of the people running Dunfermline at that point and of the people running Scottish football.

In all honesty I’m sure Raith fans would have behaved exactly the same as Dunfermline fans did in the circumstances- deep down you know it’s probably not sustainable but you kind of trust that the people running the club must surely know what they’re doing and you get on with enjoying the success on the pitch.

Exactly. Fitba fans are all the same and anyone who says different is clearly on the wind up

Would you have "gave a toss"? If your team was in 3 cup finals in 5 years? And "playing" in Europe. Bit holier than thou attitude coming across here.....

Too right we wouldn’t have given a toss! We are pretty strapped for cash just now, posting losses in this league, and folk still expected us to knock back good money for Bowie. Probably the same folk having a go at Dunfermline for knocking back money for Nesbit.

Agree with both.

29 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

"kind of trusting that the people in charge know what they're doing" is an outdated view though. Fan involvement is hugely increasing across all clubs precisely because fans feel those in charge don't know what they're doing. Fans of all clubs should be on the ball with this stuff nowadays, enough clubs have been heavily mismanaged now that simply trusting whatever businessman is in charge to run things properly is irresponsible IMO.

Ladies and gents, I posted this in the cup thread but likely get far more eyes here:

For the Rovers fans planning on getting up nice and early for the Challenge Cup final , the Tullochs social club is already full (I assume with Rovers fans as a couple of buses I know and are full are going there - and when we phone yesterday we were told there was no room at the inn).

The only two pubs remotely close by  to the ground are the Glover arms and Welcome In - both 15-20 min walks. We have booked tables in the Glover Arms. It is likely the ICT buses/fans may seek these out with Tulloch's being full, so as one Rovers fan to another, get yourselves booked in first!

We’re booked into Tullochs. Hope it’s bouncing.

"kind of trusting that the people in charge know what they're doing" is an outdated view though. Fan involvement is hugely increasing across all clubs precisely because fans feel those in charge don't know what they're doing. Fans of all clubs should be on the ball with this stuff nowadays, enough clubs have been heavily mismanaged now that simply trusting whatever businessman is in charge to run things properly is irresponsible IMO.

Yes it’s outdated now, but we’re talking about 10-15 years ago....... the reason it’s outdated now, and the reason the fan involvement you talk about is happening is precisely because of the events of 10-15 years ago.